Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 05:39 AM

117 posts, read 257,665 times

Advertisements

So, I have decided I will be transferring to a University in New Mexico...either in one of the three cities listed in the title.

So, I am having a fairly difficult time deciding which city I would be interested in living in...

I am looking for

low crime - I felt fairly safe in Boston but I would not want it more dangerous this Bostom...haha.

walkability - (like, being able to walk around and/or take public transportation...be more or less car free. I am open to renting a car a couple of days a month but I prefer being car-free so I can save a lot of money )

Jobs - I want to work while I attend University so a better job market is a positive.

Thanks and please let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post
So, I have decided I will be transferring to a University in New Mexico...either in one of the three cities listed in the title.

walkability - (like, being able to walk around and/or take public transportation...be more or less car free. I am open to renting a car a couple of days a month but I prefer being car-free so I can save a lot of money )

Jobs - I want to work while I attend University so a better job market is a positive.
You might look at this site for walkability, I would choose Albuquerque: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

And these threads:
Albuquerque Walkability

Getting Around In Las Cruces (Walking, Buses ect)
Rich

Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Quote:
UNM only has branch campuses here:
Quote:
New Campuses

Branch Campuses

Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,194,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
UNM only has branch campuses here:
I think you misunderstood the OP. A University in New Mexico can be in any of those three places, as well as a few other smaller places.

That said, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a true university in Santa Fe. There's the odd college, etc. but unless you're very specialized in a few different areas, Santa Fe is not a place for graduate studies. Also, students are generally poor and Santa Fe is not the best place to be if you are poor.

Albuquerque & Las Cruces have broad educational offerings through the two largest universities in the state. UNM has things than NMSU doesn't, and vice versa.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Albuquerque, Las Cruces, or Santa Fe?

Quote:

Las Cruces is the home of New Mexico State University (NMSU).

Rich

Old 04-29-2011, 01:54 PM

117 posts, read 257,665 times
Not just particularly looking for universities. ^^

Also looking at the cities themselves and hoping you can shed some light on which ones are best suited for students.

I am looking at both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I am leaning more towards Albuquerque because it is a larger city and would offer more in terms of things to do etc.

Any input appreciated ^^

Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Weather is better in Las Cruces. Santa Fe is not very affordable. Albuquerque is nice but colder in the winter.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,403,274 times
If you want walkability and things to do (that are accesible by foot and/or public transport), I suggest Albuquerque (UNM). From Albuquerque's university neighborhood, you are a 20 minute walk from a train that will take you to Santa Fe.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM

10,762 posts, read 23,872,801 times
Quote:

So, I am having a fairly difficult time deciding which city I would be interested in living in...

I am looking for

low crime - I felt fairly safe in Boston but I would not want it more dangerous this Bostom...haha.

Thanks and please let me know
Nob Hill in Albuquerque is definitely your best option. Walk to campus, close to downtown, very walkable neighborhood. Crime and safety falls into the common sense factor while in Albuquerque like most other cities (like you wouldn't wonder around Blue Hill Ave. or Roxbury Crossing in Boston after midnight kind of common sense). ABQ is clearly the best for job selection as well.

Las Cruces is nice and very scenic with great weather, and NMSU certainly qualifies the university credentials, but doesn't strike me as a very walkable city. I wouldn't mind bike riding around there though if you're into that.

Santa Fe is close enough to Albuquerque and accessible by train and is also very walkable.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,383 times
Students on bikes and longboard skateboards are very common here, and there are several decent apartment complexes close to New Mexico State as well as the campus' massive housing areas themselves. We have Pinon Hall (usually freshmen only I think except by special circumstance), Garcia Hall, Monagle Hall, RGH Hall, Chamisa Village, and Cervantes Village in addition to assorted fraternity/sorority houses and the ROTC dorms.

Cruces may not have as much to do as Albuquerque or maybe Santa Fe but there's usually always something going on here; if you're really thirsting for a nice shopping mall or concert or something, El Paso isn't that far away. A lot of the stuff that students will want in the immediate vicinity are right across the street on University- there's a couple coffee shops, a few small restaurants, a pub, and a really nice grocery store with good alcohol and food selection

It's also pretty safe to walk around the university and immediate areas at night, in addition to walking on sidewalks of the main streets if you're more of a late-night/very early morning jogger. I've personally been out and about and walked around for several hours at a time without worry. Just use common sense and don't go looking for a dealer or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico