Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 08:34 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,362,833 times

Advertisements

does anyone know what Estancia is like? I know that homes are not expensive there, and what little I have seen of the area is pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 03:01 AM

827 posts, read 5,082,577 times
Default About Estancia

Jessaka, I lived in Moriarty and I know about Estancia which is south of there. It is a small rural town, mostly flat, like Moriarty. I remember they have a "cool" looking little library that reminded me of the Frank Lloyd Wright type of architecture and they have a large nice public swimming pool. Estancia is out in nowhere so you would have to love large expansive land with few people. You can go into ABQ or Edgewood for more shopping. The people are nice and friendly. Hope this helps.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:36 AM

Default thanks

It does help. I believe you replied to another post of mine, so I will say more to it there. I felt maybe I was highjacking another person's thread, so I am going to reply to your and Cat's posts here.

I think I would love Mountainair, but it looks like we will have to spend more money on a house than we wanted. It doesn't look like it is too far from Mountainair or Edgewood and is close to ABQ. My husband needs to be close to a VA hospital. And we both love farm country and ranch land, but I need to be able to get to a bigger town now and then and ABQ and Mountianair seem to provide that.

I am concerned about Alamogordo due to the dust storms that were mentioned. My husband has lung problems, and so I am even concerned about TorC. Someone on here said that TorC was ugly, which is what I am begining to think myself after looking at real estate there. I imagine that they have dust storms, and I am allergic to Iodine Bush.

I believe I would like being close to Ruidososo and Capitan too, but I don't want to live where the winters are too cold, and I imagine they are. Then again, I don't think I can find a paradise on earth that has everything I want.

I like your or Cat's idea of checking out Canyon, TX area. Cat had also mentioned Marfa. I have found memories of my husband and I traveling across Texas and stopped at a rest stop to spend the night just north of Marfa. A train went through during the night. It was the most peaceful place that we have ever been, and we thought then that it would be nice to live there. But that actually seems so far away from everything.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 08-27-2006 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: adding more

Old 08-27-2006, 09:43 AM

Default where should we look?

I think maybe my husband and I need to narrow our search down. We both like farm land and at least rolling hills, but we don't mind it flat as long as you can see mountains in the distance. We don't mind a little snow, but we don't want to live where it is constant all winter. I want to be able to have a vegetable garden and fruit trees such as peach and apricot. Am I asking too much? I want a small town with ABQ or Alamogordo or El Paso not too far away, an hour and a half is fine. I can deal with killer bees better than fire ants, in fact, I don't want to deal with fire ants at all, and I am not so worried about the plague since you just have to keep cats and keep your place clean. Any ideas?

Old 08-27-2006, 10:55 PM

827 posts, read 5,082,577 times
Jessaka, I think Canyon, Texas is your answer since a VA Medical Center is in Amarillo and you can be in Amarillo in 15 minutes. It is a very nice small city and has some hills like around Hunsley Hills and Palo Duro Canyon is very pretty.

Thomas E. Creek
VA Medical Center
6010 Amarillo Blvd., West
Amarillo, TX 79106
806/ 355-9703
1-800-687-8262

Old 08-28-2006, 06:31 AM

Default canyon

thank you. I am going to check it out.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Nil

11 posts, read 110,355 times
I went through all of my schooling in Estancia and enjoyed the small town feel of the place. They do have a park that you can relax at that has a good amount of large cottonwoods to keep the sun off of you. In the park is a small pond, and swiming pool. Withen walking distance from that is the new library that they've built withen the last 2-3 years. For the most part the peaple are great to get along with, but there are some older hispanic families that would rather not deal with anybody else.

The worst trouble I remember having is a friend puting a paintball splotch on my truck after school. I think it is mostly a good hearted town that takes things at a slow pace as small towns do.

Another area that is rural in this area just noth of Moriarty is Stanley. It's most ranch/farm lands around there but you can get some property that has roling hills, and a view of the Sandia or Mozano mountains.

If you have specific question I still live in the area and dont mind helping.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:09 PM

Thank you. I can't think of any questions at the moment. It all sounds like a very nice area to live in.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 16,490 times
Default County Seat

Estancia is the county seat and the drive up to I40 isn't too bad. Kind of a flat part of the state. For your sanity's sake, stay out of Mountainair, especially if you're Caucasian and prefer to do things other than throw rocks.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 AM

25 posts, read 201,110 times
Default Health Care

I am considering moving to Estancia and am concerned about health care in small towns. Is the closest decent hospital/ emergency room in Albuquerque?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico