Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 AM

863 posts, read 805,202 times

Advertisements

I am curious what you long time or even short time New Mexicans think about New Mexico being one of the few states that taxes Social Security?

Has it made an impact on your decision to retire in New Mexico or move somewhere else?

Combined with property taxes, personal property taxes and sales tax this seems to me that with New Mexico is not particularly tax friendly even though studies show it in the lower third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,376,502 times
I had no idea of that. There property taxes were the same as OK so I have NM on my list of retirement. I guess I have to check out Soc.Sec. Taxes!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 AM

26,525 posts, read 52,162,005 times
I believe there are about 14 states which tax Social Security benefits. That one factor has made no impact to our possible decision to retire in New Mexico.

We have lived here in New Mexico for 11 years. My wife is employed, I am basically retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Combined with property taxes, personal property taxes and sales tax this seems to me that with New Mexico is not particularly tax friendly even though studies show it in the lower third.
That is not an accurate assessment in our case. But each person has to evaluate their own situation and desires. There is a high probablity that we will retire in New Mexico.

Rich

Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,674,856 times
When we moved to NM we did get hit on taxes more than some places. It didn't kill us as we are not in a high income bracket, but we did pay more there than we do now. Some states also give property tax breaks to retirees or anyone over 65 whether completely retired or not. NM is one that does not.

Nita

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,775,335 times
It wasn't NM's taxes that took my by surprise, it was the huge amount of publicly-financed
bond issues and the "tax" burden that places on residents. The basic tax laws for the
state and localities are relatively easy to track down, but since the bond issues are
not easily located, they took us by surprise.

Live 'n' learn..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 AM

The wife and I are coming out to Albuquerque at Christmas to do some pre-retirement recon. We are both retiring early, early being her 50 me 52. A little background on us, I was born in Oregon, grew up in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming. She is German. Have lived in Texas, Kansas and SC.

My Mom lives in Prescott, Az and our kids and grandkids live in Denver. Albuquerque seems the logical and perfect mid point location for us. We have lived in SC for 12 years now, but will move back west when we retire. We will be living off of savings and military retirement for now but have to consider the tax implications of this move.

I am leaning heavily towards the east mountains and would expect that property taxes are probably lower in that area. We spent 3 years in El Paso and loved every minute of it. Traveled NM extensively and can't wait to get back.

One other question, would you say that the lower cost of living overall helps to offset any additional tax issues?

Last edited by MG120; 07-08-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
It wasn't NM's taxes that took my by surprise, it was the huge amount of publicly-financed
bond issues and the "tax" burden that places on residents. The basic tax laws for the
state and localities are relatively easy to track down, but since the bond issues are
not easily located, they took us by surprise.

Live 'n' learn..
Mike,

I would assume that your refering to things like issuing a bond to build a stadium and paying for it with either increased sales or property taxes? As an example.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 AM

26,525 posts, read 52,162,005 times
Quote:
One other question, would you say that the lower cost of living overall helps to offset any additional tax issues?
I would say the overall "quality of life" for my family (Wife, Daughter, Grand Kids) is worth the costs we pay. We live in Rio Rancho. We lived in a less expensive area in rural south central PA prior to moving here.

Rich

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,775,335 times
Quote:
Mike,

I would assume that your refering to things like issuing a bond to build a stadium and paying for it with either increased sales or property taxes? As an example.
Yep. There were a LOT more bond issues than I was aware of and New Mexicans,
private and official, do not seem to grasp that these are not "free" money.

When in the midst of serious budget crises, a serious recession, falling state revenues,
educational cut-backs and all sorts of other problems idiots like APS go forward with
a gazillion dollar bond proposal to build a "lets feel good about ourselves" stadium and
the unthinking public approves it, I get worried...

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Yep. There were a LOT more bond issues than I was aware of and New Mexicans,
private and official, do not seem to grasp that these are not "free" money.

When in the midst of serious budget crises, a serious recession, falling state revenues,
educational cut-backs and all sorts of other problems idiots like APS go forward with
a gazillion dollar bond proposal to build a "lets feel good about ourselves" stadium and
the unthinking public approves it, I get worried...
Agree completely,

Sort of like whinning about what we pay teachers, police and fire yet thinking nothing about somebody making 100 million to play a freaking game. Our societal priorities are so screwed up it's not even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico