Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,978,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
So how did Corzine do when he was governor ?

There is no "twisting" facts in what I wrote. The way to remove "waste" is to simply reduce the role of government. The way to "run government like a business" is to turn functions of the government over to business (privatise more). Government is wasteful and loss-making by design.

For example, privatizing the education system would eliminate a lot of "unnecessary waste", but it's not politically feasible. Most of the so-called "waste" might not be necessary from a purely economic standpoint, but you can rest assured that most "waste" makes perfect sense politically.

That is why when someone like Corzine takes over, they are a fish out of water -- they understand that their job is not to make government profitable after all. If it were that, Corzine could do the job quite well. Rather, it's to "waste" money in a way that is politically efficient, which may or may not (and usually is not) be efficient economically.

As for salaries -- I agree that across the board cuts in salaries doesn't really address the problems. Bloated salaries (and benefits packages which cause more financial impact) are one of many symptoms of a pattern of wasteful behavior that is to be expected in organizations such as governments that are not responsive to market forces.
Again.....your missing the point.....Corzine was just another politician.....I'm not sure why you offered him as an example as he doesn't strike me as an intelligent individual that I would want as the CEO of my business ? I'm looking for the true successful CEO whos been successful over a lifetime and has NO political aspirations at all other than to help and not take a dime to do it because they have already made their fortune.......someone who can't be controlled because of favors owed.....they're out there but neither the Democrats or Republicans will ever offer one as a candidate because they couldn't controll them......you need to entice one of these business savy candidates as an "independant". People and businesses are fleeing this state because its financially unfriendly to its citizens and business onwers. When your business tax base is disappearing as quickly as New Jerseys is you can cut waste all you want and your still in trouble. Why would any business chose to stay here, relocate here or start up here ?......the answer is.... .....they wouldn't..... and until you can fix that this state is in a downward spiral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Again.....your missing the point.....Corzine was just another politician.....I'm not sure why you offered him as an example as he doesn't strike me as an intelligent individual that I would want as the CEO of my business ? I'm looking for the true successful CEO whos been successful over a lifetime
He was the CEO of Goldman. If you wanted someone who understands finance, accounting, and how to identify synergies and eliminate waste in a corporation, you couldn't do much better than a top investment banker.

[quote]
and has NO political aspirations at all other than to help and not take a dime to do it because they have already made their fortune.......[/quote

Someone with no political aspirations won't go into politics. It was never about the money for JC-- he spent far more on his campaigns than he'll be paid (I think he put himself on a $1 salary too ... )

Quote:
you need to entice one of these business savy candidates as an "independant".
It take it you're looking for a Michael Bloomberg ? I like MB, but identifying someone like that before the fact isn't easy. The problem is, on paper JC was as good as MB. Running a govt is NOT running a business. Success in one doesn't predict success in the other.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,978,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I take it you're looking for a Michael Bloomberg ? I like MB, but identifying someone like that before the fact isn't easy. The problem is, on paper JC was as good as MB. Running a govt is NOT running a business. Success in one doesn't predict success in the other.
No.....but its a good starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey