Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 74,511 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have previously inquired about town detials - but I think the bigger issue is public transit.

Does NJ run express trains?? I want to ba able to get to Montvale and Hoboken via express trains, but while looking at the train schedules, it's like "express trains" (uninterupped service from one town to another passing other stops) don't exist?

Coming from Chicago, this is very strange to me, but I guess every train ride in NJ takes an hour because it must stop at every stop???

Can someone shed some light onto this? I am interested in the Pascack Valley rail way.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
There are several "express" trains on the line that bypass some of the stops-hence the reason that some trains from Spring Valley to Hoboken take less than 60 minutes, and others take 80 minutes. Unfortunately, since Montvale is so early on the route, you're not going to find a train that runs straight through from there to Hoboken with no stops, since it wouldn't have enough passengers to be cost effective. So to answer your question, yes- the ride from Montvale to Hoboken will take +/- 60 minutes because the trains all stop at most, if not all, of the stations in between.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Living next to Pascack Valley line there are express trains , I don't know how many though

Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 AM

Do you have any suggestions for good towns that do utilize express trains to Montvale? Are there any? OR - just to Hoboken?

And - where can I find these schedules? I may be looking in the wrong places.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Are you saying that you're trying to get to Montvale and to Hoboken, not from one to the other? The only line that runs between them is the Pascack Valley line, which is also the only line to/from Montvale. The options to/from Hoboken are greater, but again, you're not going to find any "Hoboken Express" service that's going to get you there in 20 minutes unless you're starting only a few stops away.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Ok, I was thinking that there may be a town inbetween that has a heavy public trans service that instead of going 100% from Montvale to/from Hoboken, there may be a nice town in-between that could cut each commute in half, and still have service to Manhattan.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:25 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
You can take the Pascack Valley line (which is the one Montvale is on) to Secaucus Transfer, a station built specifically as a point for all the NJ Transit lines to converge so you can transfer from one to the other. So, you'd take the train from Montvale to Secaucus, then switch to the next train on the North Jersey Coast Line or the Northeast Corridor, which both go to NY Penn. The ride from Secaucus to NY Penn is 7 - 10 minutes.

The Bergen County Line has express trains--a few run from Ridgewood on with no stops and more that also stop at Glen Rock and Radburn and then forward with no stops (all of these trains stop at Secaucus.) However, you aren't going to be able to park a car at Ridgewood. Glen Rock and Radburn have more parking options, but if you're going to drive to any of those stations, there isn't much point if the goal is to save time.

The Pascack line has fewer trains because ridership is lower. The Main/Bergen line has the highest ridership. Also remember that both these lines are already "closer" to the city, as they both originate in New York State.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 13,936 times
Is there an express train in Summit NJ to Hoboken Nj? if not where is there an express train closes to Basking Ridge area?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpmeet123 View Post
Is there an express train in Summit NJ to Hoboken Nj? if not where is there an express train closes to Basking Ridge area?
Yes, there are plenty of expresses from Summit to Hoboken, only making 1 or a handful of stops instead of the full compliment. While asking questions is I suppose the point of a forum, you could have spent 10 seconds on the NJT site and gotten your answer by looking at the schedule.

Here's the schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0040.pdf

Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,665 times
for clarity, the express trains are called "midtown direct" on NJ transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey