Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 PM

375 posts, read 1,578,438 times

Advertisements

The address I have is
461 Rt 46 Fairfield NJ

How do I get there via bus or train from Manhattan?
Approximately how long would it take and would it involve numerous transfers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,048,299 times
take the nj transit 193/194/197/198 bus from the port authority bus terminal to the willowbrook mall park & ride lot in wayne. i have never taken that bus, but since it's an express route, it's supposed to be only a 30-35 minute ride from manhattan.

once you arrive at willowbrook mall, take a cab to fairfield, which is less than two miles away. i recommend that you get the phone numbers of at least 2-3 taxi agencies in the wayne/fairfield area prior to your departure from nyc so that you can arrange for one of them to pick you up from the mall. if you call them just before leaving the port authority bus terminal or even while on the bus, you should have a cab waiting for you at the mall's park-and-ride lot.

fwiw, i'm 99.9% sure that there are no local buses that operate between wayne and fairfield.

next time, try using njtransit.com, hopstop.com, or even google maps to help plan your trip via mass transit.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 AM

315 posts, read 872,460 times
Or from the Port Authority - go to the Lakeland Ticket counter(its with all the others)- simply buy1 for Fairfield NJ - its the express bus to Fairfield - it goes right from NY to Fairfield and then Parsippany is the last stop - ask the Driver when you get on & he will stop RIGHT THERE(rt46) . Its in the west bound lane so you dont even have to Cross the HWY*46
My mom lives in Fairfield and I take this bus when Im in NYC and go to visit her- - the other ones are fine and will get you there , but as mentioned , you will be left at a Mall & need a cab> Also , the 19O/191 stops in Secaucus,Paterson, and a couple of other places. The others ones mentioned stop a few times also....
Either way.....its more or less a straight run and takes about 25 minutes

Mom is make her meatballs on Sunday if your in the area.....
best,
ceffo

Old 12-05-2009, 06:06 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,048,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
Or from the Port Authority - go to the Lakeland Ticket counter(its with all the others)- simply buy1 for Fairfield NJ - its the express bus to Fairfield - it goes right from NY to Fairfield and then Parsippany is the last stop - ask the Driver when you get on & he will stop RIGHT THERE(rt46) . Its in the west bound lane so you dont even have to Cross the HWY*46
My mom lives in Fairfield and I take this bus when Im in NYC and go to visit her- - the other ones are fine and will get you there , but as mentioned , you will be left at a Mall & need a cab> Also , the 19O/191 stops in Secaucus,Paterson, and a couple of other places. The others ones mentioned stop a few times also....
Either way.....its more or less a straight run and takes about 25 minutes
great tip - i had no idea this bus route existed. although i'll probably never have a reason to take public transportation from nyc to the fairfield/pine brook/parsippany area, it's good to know that there are local options which fill in the gaps not covered by nj transit.

i found a schedule (http://www.lakelandbus.com/BusSched.html - broken link) for this bus, and it appears that the "route 46" bus line (as denoted in that link) makes a stop on route 46 west at hollywood ave in fairfield, which is only 0.4 miles west of the crown plaza shopping center and thus extremely convenient for the OP.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 AM

375 posts, read 1,578,438 times
Thank you for the instructions

Old 12-05-2009, 05:19 PM

315 posts, read 872,460 times
Wow - schedules and Google maps> Damn, cant get any more helpful than that* * *
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey