Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

just received an offer in Princeton. coming from Rochester NY. Understand the cost issues but here is my question. It will be only me and my wife so school district is not a concern. We love ethnic culture and nightlife, some bar scene, music etc.
Housing suggestions I am guessing in the 300K region, but school me if I am way off
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Princeton is a fairly culturally diverse community with a lovely downtown, nice restaurants, lots of pedestrian traffic (as well as vehicle traffic). There is the Kelsey Theatre, a micro brewery and lots of trendy shops.
You will probably be hard pressed to find a place for 300K in Princeton proper.
You can check realtor.com and type in the zip 08540 which is the zip for Princeton but I would caution you that the townhomes that come up first and are under 200K are not in Princeton. Parts of the neighbouring townships use the Princeton PO so they have their zip but are in completely different towns. For instance, Canal Point has townhomes under 300K but they are in West Windsor same for Princeton Landing -it is in Plainsboro. You might find something in Griggs Farm, it is in Princeton Township and quite removed from the cute boro of Princeton.
You might check Rocky Hill and Skillman as well as Montgomery Township, they are all north of Princeton.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM

300 posts, read 914,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Princeton is a fairly culturally diverse community with a lovely downtown, nice restaurants, lots of pedestrian traffic (as well as vehicle traffic). There is the Kelsey Theatre, a micro brewery and lots of trendy shops.
You will probably be hard pressed to find a place for 300K in Princeton proper.
You can check realtor.com and type in the zip 08540 which is the zip for Princeton but I would caution you that the townhomes that come up first and are under 200K are not in Princeton. Parts of the neighbouring townships use the Princeton PO so they have their zip but are in completely different towns. For instance, Canal Point has townhomes under 300K but they are in West Windsor same for Princeton Landing -it is in Plainsboro. You might find something in Griggs Farm, it is in Princeton Township and quite removed from the cute boro of Princeton.
You might check Rocky Hill and Skillman as well as Montgomery Township, they are all north of Princeton.
I wonder people based their decision on such wrong information. You sound as if west windsor/plainsboro is camden. These towns are as good or may be even better in all aspect than Princeton.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:05 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,961 times
Agreed--it's stilly to say that something in West Windsor or Plainsboro is automatically inferior to Princeton Boro. Those areas definitely have more of a suburban feel (versus the town feel of downtown Princeton) but are all great areas.

With a job in Princeton, you should have no problem finding something for under 300K -- it might be a 1 bedroom condo, but there will definitely be a decent selection of places in your price range. Even if you find a place in a neighboring town you will still have decent access to Princeton.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
I was, in no way, implying that the towns surrounding Princeton are inferior (I happen to live in one of them), they are just different.
As downtownjc said, they are more suburban.
If the OP wants a walkable, pedestrian town, Princeton fills that bill better than the surrounding towns.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:45 AM

60 posts, read 323,443 times
If it's just you and the wife, I strongly urge you to check out the southern portion of Franklin Township. It's zip code 08540, and referred to as "Griggstown". You can find smallish houses on large lots for under $400 (though not $300). Taxes on a $350k house will run you around $7k a year. Franklin schools are the worst in the area (because of the urbanization at the far Northern end of the township), but doesn't sound like thats a concern for you.

This is the area bordered by Bunker Hill road to the North, NJ 518 to the East (and a short portion of 27), and Canal Road to the West.

I work in Princeton and my commute is 15 minutes from Bunker Hill road. No traffic, ever. Beautiful drive down Canal Road into Rocky Hill, Princeton Ave to Mt Lucas right into town. Plus, you have the State Park right there for biking, jogging, and kayaking and canoeing opportunities.

Not trying to sell my neighborhood... but my wife and I almost gave up on New Jersey until we found this little-known hamlet. Type "Griggstown, NJ" in Google maps.

Moderator cut: real estate advertising websites

Old 05-18-2007, 10:57 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskie View Post
just received an offer in Princeton. coming from Rochester NY. Understand the cost issues but here is my question. It will be only me and my wife so school district is not a concern. We love ethnic culture and nightlife, some bar scene, music etc.
Housing suggestions I am guessing in the 300K region, but school me if I am way off
Thanks
When I went to this brand new 3 story Pricenton Public Library, the first one out of hundreds I saw, with cafe, I also notice the next door building some apartment/condo. Then I told myself, I would move over here live right next to the wonderful library, even if the apt/condo is tiny.

Why? You walk to everything, just everything you name it, including Pricenton Univ. and this wonderful library would be your library with fastest Internet access, and many nice educated peers that you can meet and make friends or just ask some questions!

Just to give you an idea, one visit, I met over 20 professors and Ph.D's many retired ... (yes, I am talkative, and when you start to show off, people will not hide their expertise and qualifications).

There are so many stores and restaurants you can eat, just any ethenic. There is bus to NYC right at Nassau, and not far away you can canoe, and don't forget you got lots of free high quality concert at Princeton Univ, and seminars. One night, I heard a talk from the most famous Economic professor talk about Chinese Economics, and I felt I learn so much as if I have visit China 100 times like this professor.

If you live far away, many of these activities will be harder to access to you, and you will be missing a whole lot while you got so great the chance to be at Princeton...

West Winsor and Plainsboro are very nice town with great schools as well, and many Chinese lives there, you know, Chinese will not live at dangerous place, even hundreds years ago, just look at all Chinatown in this country all built around police department!!! And, yes, there is a huge Asian Food Center (one of 6 in NJ) at West Windsor.

But, East Winsor would be cheaper, more new comers or startup, nothing wrong and still very close by.

Or you want to go Franklin Twp on Rt 27 North to Princeton, it is nice place to, you also got a huge Chinese supermarket called Chinatown there. (I just want to say it is safe, see you need over 1,000 Chinese families to have one huge Chinese supermarket).

Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 PM

547 posts, read 774,763 times
I spent 36 years in Rochester (Webster and Penfield) before moving down here to South Brunswick, not far from Princeton. Anyways, welcome! With regards to nightlife, we always have the train, which in 50 minutes puts us in the heart of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey