Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 17,824 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple looking to relocate to Atlantic County so that we can purchase an affordable home and raise a family in a suburban setting. We noticed that a great deal of homes for sale are in the EHT area. They seem very nice, and in our price of range of +/-$300,000. We wonder why is there so much inventory in that area though? We know property taxes are high in that area, but there must some other reasons why there seems to be a higher than average amount of homes for sale there?? Could anyone that knows the area please give us some information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebaby9 View Post
We are a young couple looking to relocate to Atlantic County so that we can purchase an affordable home and raise a family in a suburban setting. We noticed that a great deal of homes for sale are in the EHT area. They seem very nice, and in our price of range of +/-$300,000. We wonder why is there so much inventory in that area though? We know property taxes are high in that area, but there must some other reasons why there seems to be a higher than average amount of homes for sale there?? Could anyone that knows the area please give us some information?
I hear it's a real sh*t hole! Some can't seem to give their houses away...and consequently some buyers have been able to lowball successfully with ease. Further proof it's a buyers market.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I hear it's a real sh*t hole! Some can't seem to give their houses away...and consequently some buyers have been able to lowball successfully with ease. Further proof it's a buyers market.
It's not the greatest town around, but it's not outright terrible. There are just so many other very nice towns nearby in that area that aren't overpriced in their own right, so EHT property values remain pretty low.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:20 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Basically, because land was relatively cheap and almost anyone could get a loan so houses were built, and built. I've been hearing people on regional message boards grumble about it for some time.

Empty nesters could move into townhomes or retirement communities. People with growing families could finally have a bigger, newer place with a yard. If you couldn't afford a place at the beach, you could live in the township, a short drive from a marina. There was also the golf course building boom in the 1990s which was probably the beginning of the development, home building frenzy.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
It's not the greatest town around, but it's not outright terrible. There are just so many other very nice towns nearby in that area that aren't overpriced in their own right, so EHT property values remain pretty low.
Could you recommend some of those nice, nearby towns?

I'm still confused.

The last time I had the opportunity to take a drive around EHT I saw many homes, mostly built up in new developments that looked very nice, and well maintained. Am I missing something here?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Locals you are very receptive and honest in a nice way! I only wish my local forum had less of a chip on their shoulder in general than ya'll.

OP to be fair I only heard these things second hand...that it's a little buggy, is inhabited by some red-necks, may smell at times and brings on some allergies with the temperature swings. To tell you the truth, I would probably hop on it, as it would probably be somewhere I could squeeze in and afford by the skin of my pants and being close to Atlantic City...what's not to love? You should check it out firsthand as well as any other advice the locals can give you.

Best of luck

Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebaby9 View Post
Could you recommend some of those nice, nearby towns?

I'm still confused.

The last time I had the opportunity to take a drive around EHT I saw many homes, mostly built up in new developments that looked very nice, and well maintained. Am I missing something here?
No. EHT is actually just fine, in my opinion. It's not Stone Harbor or Spring Lake, but not many towns are. I wouldn't sweat buying a place there.

As for other towns nearby... Galloway is a nice, large town and is right next door to EHT. Northfield is another nice community. Somers Point is to the south a bit and on the bay, but there are affordable areas on the mainland portion of town. Linwood is a favorite, but it can get pricey.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
I know someone that lives there and she is no redneck. She actually grew up in Middletown. She has lived there for years and loves it there!
She raised her sons there are all graduated college. She's a nurse and her husband works for the post office.
The reason its inexpensive is because of its location, being so far from NYC.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 PM

I really wish someone actually living in EHT, or in Atlantic County in general, would post their views and opinions of the area. First-hand information would be nice.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:39 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I don't know if anyone can answer, but what do you want to know? Do people like the schools? Where do you shop for groceries? How do you rate the public services? I only know one person who lives there and he's a middle aged divorced guy with no children. Maybe you should start a new thread - Egg Harbor Township, What Do I Need to Know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey