Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 PM

39 posts, read 51,098 times

Advertisements

Just curious about what it's like visiting and living in these counties.

I'm brainstorming if I'd like this area as a place to live.

Is it pretty much like any suburban area...tough to assimilate to if you are not a local...or is a party scene ala SoCal?

Is it a coastal area?

Is it a nice balance of fun and nature or is it overdeveloped and trashy...like Ocean City, MD?

I'm getting a lot of mixed signs.
Some people claim Ocean County is quite nice with the best combination of beaches+proximity to NYC+nightlife for a young adult.
Others claim it's another NJ suburb, and still some go on about how the NJ shore is so overdeveloped and trashy.

I'd like to in area that would be welcoming for a young adult and proximate to NY's sphere of influence but also has balance with nice, non-tacky beaches and development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:12 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,921,539 times
Quote:
Is it pretty much like any suburban area...tough to assimilate to if you are not a local...or is a party scene ala SoCal?
Much of it is pretty much like other suburban areas, except there is a beach which is home to something of a party scene. I would say it's somewhere in the middle. You can choose to be active and go to all the bars, clubs and other places or you could ignore that entire aspect of the area. It's really whatever you choose.

Quote:
Is it a coastal area?
Yes, Ocean is more "coastal" than Monmouth, generally, because you also have Barnegat Bay and a lot of other waterways. In addition, most of Ocean County's largest towns are situated on the water, whereas Monmouth County has larger towns inland as well. Both counties are bordered by the ocean, of course, but I would say in Monmouth there is a bigger mix of traditional suburban and coastal.

Quote:
Is it a nice balance of fun and nature or is it overdeveloped and trashy...like Ocean City, MD?
I'd say it's a nice balance of fun and nature in both counties. Even our "trashy town" like Ocean City, MD (Seaside Heights) is actually getting a little more upscale with some new bars and restaurants opening up and some of the seedy motels being torn down. Both counties have excellent park systems and there are always tons of nature-related activities going on.

Quote:
Some people claim Ocean County is quite nice with the best combination of beaches+proximity to NYC+nightlife for a young adult.
Others claim it's another NJ suburb, and still some go on about how the NJ shore is so overdeveloped and trashy.
Monmouth County is closer to NYC and has more train service to the city, as well as a ferry (pricey, however). Both counties have good numbers of bars/clubs and that kind of thing. I don't think the Shore area is trashy at all, so I'm not sure where that's coming from... As far as overdevelopment, it's developed how most suburban coastal areas are. I really don't think it's developed any more or less than most other places.

Quote:
I'd like to in area that would be welcoming for a young adult and proximate to NY's sphere of influence but also has balance with nice, non-tacky beaches and development.
I think you'll just have to come and see for yourself before you decide. Both counties are within the "sphere of influence" of NYC because a lot of people from the city and its North Jersey suburbs have moved here. The NY papers are sold in every store and we get the NYC television stations on our cable systems. It's not convenient to get to the city, but it's really not a big deal if you're not heading in every day for work. For the occasional city outing, I can handle the 90 minute trip.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,901,294 times
VeradoDan said it perfectly. I agree 100%.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 PM

39 posts, read 51,098 times
Thanks...it sounds like Ocean/Monmouth Counties might be good fits for me.
I'd like to go somewhere that a new resident in his 20s wouldn't have a hard time meeting and fitting in.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:17 PM

390 posts, read 1,511,288 times
I lived in Monmouth County for 29 years so I must like it. The county has diversity and much to recommend it. Take a ride down to Mon/Oc counties and have a look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey