Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,791,647 times

Advertisements

I honestly can't think of a breakfast I would want more than a good Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese on a Kaiser roll, with black pepper and a good amount of ketchup. How lucky are we to have this incredible, amazing sandwich as our state breakfast?

On top of that we have awesome bagels, as good as NY City. But beyond that, the "buttered roll" is definitely a NJ phenomenon. I always thought it's such a simple thing, a roll with butter on it, that it must be common across the country. But when I started traveling, I realized that, outside of NJ, 7-11's and similar stores didn't have such a thing. I one time asked for a buttered roll at a cafe/deli in Seattle and the person said, "Just BUTTER on a ROLL? Really?" He thought it was so odd, and I was equally stunned at his reaction. It wasn't that good, though, because it wasn't a kaiser roll. The excellent Seattle coffee made up for it, though; they do have incredibly awesome coffee.

Anyway, I'm going to leave 1/2 hour early tomorrow morning so I can stop by the diner to pick up a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese, since I'm now craving one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:29 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,584,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I honestly can't think of a breakfast I would want more than a good Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese on a Kaiser roll, with black pepper and a good amount of ketchup. How lucky are we to have this incredible, amazing sandwich as our state breakfast?

On top of that we have awesome bagels, as good as NY City. But beyond that, the "buttered roll" is definitely a NJ phenomenon. I always thought it's such a simple thing, a roll with butter on it, that it must be common across the country. But when I started traveling, I realized that, outside of NJ, 7-11's and similar stores didn't have such a thing. I one time asked for a buttered roll at a cafe/deli in Seattle and the person said, "Just BUTTER on a ROLL? Really?" He thought it was so odd, and I was equally stunned at his reaction. It wasn't that good, though, because it wasn't a kaiser roll. The excellent Seattle coffee made up for it, though; they do have incredibly awesome coffee.

Anyway, I'm going to leave 1/2 hour early tomorrow morning so I can stop by the diner to pick up a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese, since I'm now craving one.
What are you trying to do??? Get me hungry at this late hour???

Okay that does it, now to make amends you gotta pick up one of these in the morning and deliver it to me.

Anyway, enjoy it for me.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
What are you trying to do??? Get me hungry at this late hour???

Okay that does it, now to make amends you gotta pick up one of these in the morning and deliver it to me.

Anyway, enjoy it for me.
lol - hey, if you crave one THAT bad, I'm sure there's a diner somewhere near you that will sell you one right now! I thought about running to my town's diner but I'm still stuffed from the holiday weekend; but I'll be ready tomorrow morning for that sandwich!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,367,703 times
Hey, now. THEC makes a great any time meal.

Way to get me wanting one!

I don't take spk on mine though.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
Quote:
Taylor Ham
You do realize that Taylor Ham is sold all over the country.

Now White castles maybe.......

Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
I used to think that THEC was the ultimate breakfast- until I tried shrimp n' grits......

Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,367,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I used to think that THEC was the ultimate breakfast- until I tried shrimp n' grits......
Oh, Mr. Kovacs, you've gone to the other side!

(some of my family lives in Ga, also, and would probably agree with you. I can't stand seafood [except white albacore premium tuna.....from a can, lol] - and I can't do the texture/taste of grits in any form of preparation)

Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I've had shrimp and grits, and I've even had the variations of that - shrimp 'n gravy (served w/rice), shrimp 'n biscuits. All were very good, but seafood for breakfast is kinda weird, and even putting that aside, I still find a THEC sandwich to be a much better breakfast than shrimp-n-grits/gravy/biscuits.

Next to THEC, my favorite breakfast is eggs benedict, which is awesome, but the simplicity and perfect balance of flavors in a THEC is just unrivaled!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I've had shrimp and grits, and I've even had the variations of that - shrimp 'n gravy (served w/rice), shrimp 'n biscuits. All were very good, but seafood for breakfast is kinda weird, and even putting that aside, I still find a THEC sandwich to be a much better breakfast than shrimp-n-grits/gravy/biscuits.

Next to THEC, my favorite breakfast is eggs benedict, which is awesome, but the simplicity and perfect balance of flavors in a THEC is just unrivaled!!!
So having seafood for breakfast is weird, yet smearing butter on a roll and calling that "breakfast" is OK? lol

Old 07-06-2009, 04:32 PM

231 posts, read 587,554 times
I dislike taylor ham on my eggs. That's probably because I'm a transplant to NJ and also because bacon and sausage are way better alternatives.

Eggs benedict trumps just about everything. I had a variation called Ono Benedict (with Ono fish) in Maui and that might have been the best breakfast I've ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey