Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 PM

460 posts, read 3,546,704 times

Advertisements

I thought Island beach park would allow that but apparently not. Are there any places along the shore where you can do this? If not does anyone know any good spots on Barnegat bay where this can be done? I'm not a camper at all but was thinking it would be nice to pick up a cheap tent and perhaps relax overnight by the water. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,977 times
You can camp out on Treasure Island in the Manasquan River, but you'll need a boat to get there. If you're a boat owner, it's a great place!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Default three places

Delaware river has some campgrounds

Round Valley in Lebanon, Nj has primitive camping, need to sign up

Kinda of sort of Sandy Hook allows fishermen to stay all night on the beach to fish....need a permit and a fishing pole or two, guess a tent would be fine as long as you keep chking your bait.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 10,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
You can camp out on Treasure Island in the Manasquan River, but you'll need a boat to get there. If you're a boat owner, it's a great place!

is it illegal to camp there and are there any patrol cops or something that come around and check the island
also are all of the water taxis tours only or can a water taxi drop me off because i wanted to camp out there from thursday night to a sunday could i do that?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2009 View Post
is it illegal to camp there and are there any patrol cops or something that come around and check the island
also are all of the water taxis tours only or can a water taxi drop me off because i wanted to camp out there from thursday night to a sunday could i do that?
I know that people camped there as late as last fall. I never recall hearing anything about police patrols there - Brielle PD sold their only boat a few years back and I doubt the NJSP Marine unit really cares. Also, there are no signs/warnings that prohibit camping. As long as you leave an anchor light running on your boat (to keep your boat visible at night), I don't think there's any prohibition keeping people from staying overnight. Like I mentioned, people were doing it throughout last summer and fall. I'm sure now that the weather has improved, people will begin doing it this year too.

As far as the water taxis, they're just tours. They take people out there, do some seining for the kids and talk about nature a little. The same boat does the booze cruises at night.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Isn't the water too shallow to pull up in a motor boat at Treasure Island? I've been there on kayak, but now that I have a motor boat, I'd like to explore the camping option!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
I thought Island beach park would allow that but apparently not. Are there any places along the shore where you can do this? If not does anyone know any good spots on Barnegat bay where this can be done? I'm not a camper at all but was thinking it would be nice to pick up a cheap tent and perhaps relax overnight by the water. Any suggestions is appreciated.
That's a good question. I know most beaches like Seaside make u leave at 2 or 3 am. I bet a less known smaller beach would be easy to do it, but really I think all beaches have patrols that make rounds but I doubt it. I'm not talking about the Delaware River here because that's just not the same and I think there should be a couple beaches that allow you to pitch tents. The problem is probably the government fears people would start living on the beach in tents who lost their home, like in Sacramento Cali, there are familys living in tents who lost their home, what happends is soon the government forces them to stay in a FEMA camp or go somewhere else.

Go somewhere and ask the locals about the patrols, just make sure they aren't tattle tails who would alert the Terror Hotline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey