Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM

250 posts, read 683,333 times

Advertisements

Megan's Law Registered Sex Offenders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 32,423 times
work for an engineer, try local.live.com pretty current on live aerial views. Also definately zillow.com !!! mortgage companies have been using this to get approx values to homes!! if you put an address in, up pops the house, and if u scroll down, the 09 taxes.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,229 times
Be careful with Zillow...some houses its dead on, others way off.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM

149 posts, read 326,222 times
It is sad but it seems like you have to do your own homework to get the answers you are looking for. This is a big investment so it's best not to cut corners. I'd rather look it up than be surprised a year later. Thank you for sharing this info with the rest of us and good luck, please keep us updated and let us know when you find a home. Even though I am looking in CT the info is still very useful. Things that you mentioned I will be looking for.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Live cameras along the parkway and turnpike...good to see what traffic patterns are like during different times of the day for your commute.

NJTA- Traffic Cams (http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/gsp-conditions-cams.htm - broken link)

Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 PM

95 posts, read 528,046 times
Very good stuff LCMT. As a resent home buyer myself in W/O I went through all these steps as you are.

I would add a www.bankrate.com for mortgage rates and lenders. Just look up by an area code for the list of lenders. I would highly recommend HSBC. Just closed 2 weeks ago, lowest rate, 60 days no fee lock, low closing costs, no bank's junk fees in the settlement statement, all fees were as disclosed in the fair landing estimate. Bank fee was $575 (commitment, flood cert, tax services) + appraisal of $325, that's all!

Also, as a buyer, it is worth looking at the city of interest website, a lot of useful info there (budgets, projects, fees, and such). And definitely give a call to the building department to see if there are any open permits and what permits, if any, were taken in the past.

In my example, sellers put up a fence and did other things that would've require a permit, so I had to check if they did everything legally. Saves a lot of headaches afterwards.

Last edited by O-er in WO; 08-05-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Another good school website

New Jersey Department of Education

Old 08-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Shows all the where all the landfills are, even the closed ones.

NJDEP SRWM - SHWP: Mission Statement

Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 32,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMT View Post
National Sex Offender Registry

Similar to the above, except this site allows you to search based on address, see maps of the neighborhood and residences of all registered offenders, along with their photos. A good site to check to evaluate a neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 AM

229 posts, read 778,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMT View Post

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible
The birds eye is useful in checking how busy the road is, what the neighborhood looks like, how close the highways were and what is in the surrounding area. When researching a home once we found out the neighbor next door was a junk collector/garbage guy by looking on the birds eye map and seeing what looked like a plane crash in his back yard.
Obviously not good if you don't want to worry about toxic waste, mosquitoes and rats living next door.
Keep in mind that this may not be up to date. The birds eye view for my house shows only the footers, and it was built in 2006

The junk collector's junk might have not been there anymore if you only base your search on this. Useful if you can confirm in person, but not too reliable for long distance shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey