Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times

Advertisements

Rt. 24 --

this highway was designed to have a 3rd lane put in (at a "later date")... the real estate is there, but the local yokels are crying that it would just bring more traffic. hello ? the stretch from 287 to 78 is JAMMED, daily
...it can't get any worse, and putting in that 3rd lane would reduce the emissions from all those cars stuck in the bumper-to-bumper crawl

Rt. 280 --

from its terminus at Rt. 80, to about Livingston, it's 2 lanes... here too, both the east & west bound sides are doing the "beep & creep" during rush hour. the land is there, put in that 3rd lane for heaven's sake !

Rt. 206 --

I don't even know where to start with this one...

Rt. 17 --

from the GS Plaza, down to Rt. 80, two lanes... unbelievable, and unlivable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM

119 posts, read 472,507 times
Much of Rt. 70 from the pine barrens and into Cherry Hill.. Has to be one of the most congested in the state and would really benefit.

Also, I always said that I thought there should be at least one more interstate in the Philly metro area. That area is as bad as northern Toms River and Brick. It's a pain in the ass getting into certain areas because you have to either drive way out of the way, or into highly congested roads to get where you want to go most of the time.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM

95 posts, read 521,258 times
I think parts of Rt 1 could really use it. There is a lot of road work going on near Menlo Park Mall. But it's been ongoing for years I feel like, and I still don't see a third lane. Not quite sure exactly what they're doing there.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 PM

177 posts, read 700,473 times
Tonnelle (Rt. 1&9) as well as the Pulaski Skyway in Jersey City.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM

345 posts, read 642,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Rt. 17 --

from the GS Plaza, down to Rt. 80, two lanes... unbelievable, and unlivable
Hey, that's my favorite bottleneck!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
NJ-24 That road took about 40 years just to get built, when it was almost done I was one of the many that used to sneak on it to commute, lots of stories about it on both the first part that used to end at JFK Pkwy, then the last part.
I remember for years it would end into dirt or mud if it rained just short of Columbia Tpike.
DOT did add a second lane to the entrance ramp from I-287 S because it started with only one.

I-280 yes and maybe.
Remember in NJ like some other places if you propose to build stuff the enviro's come out and act like the state will sink, then you have to set aside more land as wetlands. We all had to do that to open 287 and other roads.

US-206 you have to see the State plans for that online. There are quite a few plans active between Somerville & Princeton. Bypasses with 4 lanes, etc.
It's viewable online as the NJDOT STIP (State Trans Improvement Plans or something).

NJ-17 we all agree about too, but I think that portion has tight real estate unlike from NJ-4 north to NY state 17 & I-287 where NJ did 6 lane it and take out all the traffic lights.

US 1 is being widened, almost close to done at least from the GSP area down to the next 6 lane section. Overall there have been many traffic lights eliminated and there is a plan for the rest. This area together with 206 mentioned above was originally going to be bypassed by I-95 but NJ never built I-95, the REAL one. That's a whole website & more in itself.

Believe it or not most of Tonnelle Ave US 1&9 has been getting some updating. It was hard there because some towns panic when NJDOT wants to widen or bypass a highway. This was one of those from what I hear.

Currently there is a big project for the interchange of Tonnelle 1&9 to / from the Skyway. Thats viewable online too w/ graphics. Its called something like StPauls Ave. Part of it had been started a while already.

Two of my long frustrations have been both NJ-34 and NJ-66.
Both of these roads have always had the land, even landscaped and with bridges wide enough to just pave the other side of both of these, yet still we wait in single lanes, probably too many years.

I think the State should do these.
Hmm, thinking now, our "Saviour" O'b was looking for what they call "shovel ready" projects to put $$ into. They should do these.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Definitely Rt 206.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
The Route 4 overpass bottleneck by Teaneck that can lead a line of traffic up to the Riverside Square Mall (ok ok, Shops at Riverside...). My Dad keeps thinking we should have Rte. 4 double-decked or something... I wonder why "bottlenecks" had to be created in the first place? To control the flow of traffic? Heh.. It definitely controls and annoy some people alright. Then again, I'm sure road engineers of ages' past never thought of the possibility that their creations would create problems for people across the country.

If bottlenecks could be elimanated in this century leaving only traffic for tolls, that would be very nice. Three lanes downsizing to two lanes do not make much sense in the 21st century. Which reminds me of one of Connecticut's highways that is only two lanes all the way through the state. Now, that is insane... O.o I thought the traffic there lasted on and on in such a short distance. Thankfully, there are small rest areas made throughout the highway. (Then again, I still think the Los Angeles traffic takes the cake. Barely any movement there. Amaziiing..)

Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Default The Plan

Here's a link to the NJ State Plan 2007 to 2010

NJDOT Statewide Transportation Improvement Program FY 2007 - 10

Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
The answer to traffic jams is mass transit, not more lanes or roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey