Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,758,304 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm sure that answered Jos's question!
You certainly covered just about everything. Don't forget, though, if you live in NJ and work in NY you have to pay taxes in both. Also, depending on where you work in NYC, parking can cost $50-$100 dollars a week.

Of course if the cost doesn't turn you off, there's the stress of commuting for hours every day.

Other than that, great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 AM

146 posts, read 507,148 times
I live in the next town over from Iselin, so I think I'm qualified to comment. I usually just read these boards and hardly ever comment back, but felt compelled to respond here. There is a very high Indian/Asian population here, so fitting in will not be a problem AT ALL. The commute into NYC is a breeze, the train station is 5 minutes from home and it's just a 40 minute trainride into Penn Station. However, that being said, if you plan on bringing your family over, $65K is not enough to survive here, a second income would be needed. If you're coming over alone, and renting, you will do just fine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Edited to add that I raised my three children here (all are teens now) and never felt like crime was an issue at all. Also wanted to add that the schools here are awesome!

Old 09-18-2006, 06:48 PM

103 posts, read 395,327 times
Hi I just thought I would add my input here:

first it is obvious that you are not planning on living here forever and just doing it for the experience that will help your career. so i say go for it!

My husband daughter and I live bergen county nj....we are a young couple and my husband only brings in 60,000 but for a 22 yr old thats pretty good. We have one daughter that is 2 and I stay at home with her. We are by no means poor. Yes things are expensive here but if you know how to manage your money you will do fine. We just took a trip to Disney last month and now are saving for a house. We both have cars and car insurance and cell phones. We dont own so we dont pay those taxes but soon we will and I really think we will survive My mom is divorced and has a secretarys income but owns a home and a car and travels a lot.
We are planning on moving south because it is expensive up here but we really have no choice since my husband will be working in Philly.
I only know a few people who are really rich all the others are average and surving here without being poor.

Just thought I would give you some good news!!

If you do come over, good!

Good Luck!!

Old 09-18-2006, 06:55 PM

100 posts, read 420,895 times
Default Dont bother for 68000!

I make around that and I have to LEAVE nj soon as I cant do it anymore. Its insane here- great state when it comes to things to do, its 'pretty' in the spring and fall, we have great beaches- but you PAY for it all!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:16 PM

562 posts, read 2,616,519 times
I work in IT .. and i know many consultants that are here from India.. some get pay about 55k others 85k.. they do just fine.. just manage your money good and you'll be ok.. of course you'll not be driving a BMW or Mercedes.. living on a mansion or own townhouse.. but it's enought to get a daily driver and an apt.. you'll gain the experience that you cannot find in your country..
btw. you can always get another job once here.. as a software developer you can easily get at least 85k..

good luck!!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:31 AM

33 posts, read 178,105 times
You people are assinine. My father raised me on 55,000 a year. Which included yearly vacations. I never needed for anything. Now me and my wife live quite comfortably on 70,000 between the two of us. Im sure if we had a kid it wouldnt be much harder. There are tons of families that live of 65 g a year. Stop being disgruntled. You wont live the high life but you certainly wont struggle.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:51 AM

88 posts, read 386,885 times
Now Now..

These comment's aren't very nice.
68k per year is a decent salary. $5228 per month is good enough to buy a 200k home here in southern new jersey. Depending on the credit situation, he can get into payments for such a home for about 2200-2500 including TAXES, INSURANCE. Depending on the type of loan program he is set up with, it could be even lower. Im going with around 8% interest. If his wife get's a part time job on the side that doesn't intervene with the 2 year old, your adding another 10-15k per year. There are places here in southern NJ with very low taxes.

Northern New Jersey and Southern New Jersey are literally like night and day. NNJ is very expensive and inflated where half of the people here are correct, you need to make 120k to live.
In SNJ, you do not need anywhere near 120k to live, probably half of that.

A thing to remember for the whole board.
Whether you make 60k per year or 120k per year, however you spend your money determines how broke you are.

Ryan P. Kull
Re/Max Affiliates
Sewell, NJ 08080

Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 AM

38 posts, read 266,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPKull View Post
Now Now..

Northern New Jersey and Southern New Jersey are literally like night and day. NNJ is very expensive and inflated where half of the people here are correct, you need to make 120k to live.
In SNJ, you do not need anywhere near 120k to live, probably half of that.
Yep - but there are areas (that aren't bad!) in the northern/northwestern areas of the state where you don't need to make a mint to survive. If one wants to move to Bernardsville, that's one thing - if you are willing to move to a small town where you may have to travel a few miles to get to Shop Rite, you can probably afford to live in Northern NJ. It's all about finding an area where you can live comfortably on your salary..obviously, someone making $60,000 a year isn't looking to live next door to the New York Yankees to begin with. Zero in on some affordable areas..try to find yourself a trustworthy real estate agent/financial guru who won't try to sell you on something you won't be able to afford. You can make it work.

We live in Ocean County, which is cheaper then the northern areas of the state and live fine on the money we make - it isn't a mint by any means. But we were smart about it - we looked at houses for a LONG time! We looked in Somerset County/Middlesex County where we grew up, and couldn't find anything except for someone's backyard shed for the prices we could afford. We tried Monmouth, but the areas we looked like were appreciating big time last year. One year earlier, we could have done it. Finally came down to the Toms River area, found a nice house right within our price range, and bought it.

I think the original poster can do fine here - especially if he comes in with an attitude of "I am going there to establish myself - I may struggle for a year or two while I do it, but I'm going to do it!"

Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 AM

19 posts, read 83,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohbh View Post
Hi,

I am from Singapore, and had been offered a project manager job in New Jersey. If you don't know where is Singapore, don't bother to try and locate it on the map. Its just a dot on the globe. However, this is the safest place in Southeast Asia.

I have a family, comprising of my wife and 2 lovely kids, 6 yrs old and 1 yrs old. The older kid will be going for primary education next year.

The offer package I had is $68K with full medical coverage for family and relocation fees. However, I am quite concerned on whether if this amount is enough for my family to survive in NJ, especially when I may have to send my older son to an International School. Any ideas how much is the costs for International School?

How about taxes for foreigners like me? Will it be very high? Being an Asian Chinese, I am not sure if there is high chances of racism? I do understand that NJ has a lot of good people, but there is still this concern especially its for the safety of my wife and kids.

For the time being, I am still not very sure where I will be in New Jersey, However, I would appreciate the feedback from you gentlemen and ladies.

Warmest Regards....

I knew a lady in Florida who is dying to get out of the US and live in Singapore ! I asked her why and she said that among other things, Singapore is one of the safest places to live on the globe .. then I researched Singapore online and found out for myself. $68,000 annual salary for a family of 4 is an insult to you on the part of your boss ! Tell him to either shove his "offer" or else put a 2 in front of it for $268k ... let h i m come to the US and show you first ! how to support a family on $68k a year ! He is insane ! Stay where you are and be satisfied with what you have is what I say !

Old 11-07-2006, 03:57 PM

43 posts, read 191,397 times
You can ask what ever you want – that’s your right, but the entry level for Project Manager in NJ is between 50 and 60. Operation manager will start around 70-80.
I think he got an offer that anyone in the US would get if they would apply for this position. With time and moving from one type of project manager position to another, and jumping from company to company he probably can earn up to 90. This is all he will ever get as a project manager. If he’ll stay in the same position with the same company, then his company will give him between 3%-6% increase every year. This is 2006, and year 2000 is long gone – employers don’t throw the money around as they use to.
I don’t know what people are thinking you are going to do to earn 150k a year, but in NJ usually a VP makes that kind of money. Director is making over 90 and higher. Keep in mind that I am talking about full time employees.
Just remember that the state is very expensive and also please note that median income in NJ is around 60k. So, NJ has couple million people who are living on what you are offered.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey