Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM

25 posts, read 75,980 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a few new homes & one we like has oil heat...

I'm not a big fan, but wondered what others had to say.

Has anyone ever done an oil to gas conversion?

If so, what did it cost & what was the effort?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM

32 posts, read 123,813 times
Default According to my broker

I am a potential first-time home buyer, so I don't have much experience with this either (other than when gas prices were high, everyone was concerned about the price of heating an oil home). That said, my broker just mentioned the other day that she is seeing it come up as a problem with homeowner's insurance if the tank is underground; she said prior to about 6 months ago, a home having oil heat with in-ground tank was never an insurance issue (maybe increased risk, but you didn't have a problem getting coverage). But now, she is seeing people have a real problem getting insurance if the tank is underground. Now, I'm a lawyer so I understand a bit about environmental liability if the tank leaks fuel into the ground; I'm not sure if there has been a significant change in NJ or Federal law lately to cause the issue she spoke of, or if insurance providers are just looking for reasons to turn people away. She did say that she had one buyer who insisted that the conversion to gas and the filling of the oil tank with sand occur prior to seller transferring title so that if any problems arose buyer wouldn't be liable. I think that's a very smart idea, and you may want to look into this more, speak with your broker to see if they have seen this happening, and maybe make it a negotiating point if you fall in love with a home with an underground oil tank.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,380,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbo2142 View Post
We're looking at a few new homes & one we like has oil heat...

I'm not a big fan, but wondered what others had to say.

Has anyone ever done an oil to gas conversion?

If so, what did it cost & what was the effort?

Thanks...
Watch out with Oil Heat. You need to know where the storage tank is, and if it was ever underground, or still underground. If not buying a recent built home, even check if it was always gas. My insurance agent said some are not disclosing underground tanks, which can cost $200,000 plus to remediate. I know, I had that problem, was $235,000. In those days insurance covered it.

Diane G

Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,168,655 times
HATED oil heat.
I am glad to never again have a heating system that relies on some kind of delivery in order to work.
I can't tell you how many times we ran out of oil.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,784,885 times
I have a underground oil tank it was easy and cheap to insure. I was thinking about changing to gas but was told if i attempted to remove the tank the insurance would be void. I like oil, the cost has been reasonable and it is less volatile than gas. I have never heard of a house exploding due to an oil leak.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM

37 posts, read 136,303 times
I had an underground oil tank and had it filled. Now have a Roth tank in storage space in basement. It is a tank within a tank and looks like a restaurant refrigerator.
Never had a delivery problem nor ran out of oil. Oil company should have you on automatic.
House was built in 1960 and has cast iron elements on lower wall painted accordingly and framed in wood.
I personally would not switch to gas.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 75,980 times
Thanks everyone...

We're looking at the house on Sunday. It was built in 1910, but completely renovated a year ago...

We shall see...

Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,429,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbo2142 View Post
Thanks everyone...

We're looking at the house on Sunday. It was built in 1910, but completely renovated a year ago...

We shall see...
Good luck! but remember, as some have mentioned before...make sure the oil tank is NOT underground.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,641,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Watch out with Oil Heat. You need to know where the storage tank is, and if it was ever underground, or still underground. If not buying a recent built home, even check if it was always gas. My insurance agent said some are not disclosing underground tanks, which can cost $200,000 plus to remediate. I know, I had that problem, was $235,000. In those days insurance covered it.
Diane is right -- there have been several threads on here about underground oil tanks and the dangers they pose (especially financial dangers).

Underground oil tanks are NOT covered by homeowners insurance and can turn into an absolute nightmare. Do not purchase a home with an underground oil tank! There is absolutely no reason to do so in this market -- have the seller remove the tank BEFORE closing and make sure the ground is tested for contamination.

Wiley works in this area and can give you more info if you need it.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,380,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
HATED oil heat.
I am glad to never again have a heating system that relies on some kind of delivery in order to work.
I can't tell you how many times we ran out of oil.
I lived in my house 13 years, and never ran out of oil, even when my underground tank as leaking. I had scheduled deliveries, and a service contract with Petro Oil.
I have Gas now, and the house was built in 2002, so 2 Zone heat, and AC

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey