Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times

Advertisements

NJ.com reports that Pernetti has been tabbed as the new AD of Rutgers.

Thank GOD.

Out of the three finalists, he was the most appealing one to me... and I think he can do great things.

It sucks how Mulcahy exited, but apparently, Tim already has the support of Codey, so that'll be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
whoever the AD is, he needs to do something to attract Northeast Talent

Rutgers cannot even keep NJers, as evidenced by this years recruiting

and we are not short on talent by any means

Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Very good "recommendation." It still needs the approval of the BOG. But that should be done today in Newark.

NJ Chutzpah, what are you talking about? RU lost out on Justin Brown but look who they did get:

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. School/Hometown
STEVE BEAUHARNAIS LB 6-2 235 St. Joseph's/Saddle Brook, N.J.
MALCOLM BUSH TE 6-4 230 Hackensack/Hackensack, N.J.
PAUL CARREZOLA TE 6-2 250 Neshaminy/Langhorne, Pa.
ANDRE CIVIL DL 6-3 240 Sheepshead Bay/Brooklyn, N.Y.
KA'LIAL GLAUD LB 6-2 220 Winslow Twp/Atco, N.J.
DURON HARMON DB 6-1 190 Caesar Rodney/Magnolia, Del.
MARK HARRISON WR 6-3 230 Bunnell/Stratford, Conn.
AARON HAYWARD WR 6-0 195 Penns Grove/Carneys Point, N.J.
ISAAC HOLMES DL 6-3 290 Hoboken/Hoboken, N.J.
ROBERT JOSEPH FB 6-2 230 Brooklyn Poly Prep/Jamaica, N.Y.
MICHAEL LARROW DL 6-4 250 Union/Union, N.J.
ANTWAN LOWERY DL 6-4 325 Christopher Columbus/Miami, Fla.
JAMAL MERRELL LB 6-4 200 Hodgson Vo-Tech/Bear, Del.
JAMIL MERRELL DL 6-4 220 Hodgson Vo-Tech/Bear, Del.
DAVID OSEI OL 6-4 260 Abington/Abington, Pa.
QURON PRATT DB 6-0 175 Palmyra/Palmyra, N.J.
LOGAN RYAN DB 6-0 185 Eastern/Berlin, N.J.
MOHAMED SANU DB 6-3 215 South Brunswick/South Brunswick, N.J.
TOM SAVAGE QB 6-5 225 Cardinal O'Hara/Springfield, Pa.
ABDUL SMITH DB 6-0 190 Perkiomen School/Trenton, N.J.
JUNIOR SOLICE DL 6-3 230 Hackensack/Hackensack, N.J.
DE'ANTWAN WILLIAMS RB 5-8 195 Woodbridge/Woodbridge, Va.
JAMAL WILSON OL 6-5 305 South Shore/Brooklyn, N.Y.

I think that's a decent representation of the Northeast. Even the hardcore guys on Scout and Rivals admit you are not going to bring in every "Blue Chipper" on the boards. But this class is a whole lot stronger than even last year's class. The more RU is seen on TV and wins consistently, like the second half of last year, the more local kids will want to stay in-state.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
whoever the AD is, he needs to do something to attract Northeast Talent

Rutgers cannot even keep NJers, as evidenced by this years recruiting

and we are not short on talent by any means
`
Rutgers has a TON of Northeastern talent. A TON. Look at the last 4 years or so at the players that have gone to the NFL from Rutgers...LJ Smith (NJ), Brian Leonard (NY), Ray Rice (NY), and this year Kenny Britt (NJ). Just inked Tom Savage, star QB from Philly. There is a ton of NJ talent at Rutgers.

I'm very pleased with the Tim Pernetti pick for AD. He is a loyal son who cares for the program. I'll just miss him on the broadcasts!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM

And now that it is official, see article ...

Welcome back Tim Pernetti!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

rutgers did not keep NJ's top talent, or get any of PA's top talent (Savage being the exception) this year

I am pretty sure those listed are good players, but they are not the best we have

it is not big secret that Rutgers cannot keep NJ talent, this years draft alone will have about 5 NJ kids projected to taken in the first, and none went to Rutgers

Schiano has serious issues with the Defensive Line, they are way way undersized

That is why he hasnt been able to take rutgers even further

I do not see how he has addressed that this recruiting season

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

it is not big secret that Rutgers cannot keep NJ talent, this years draft alone will have about 5 NJ kids projected to taken in the first, and none went to Rutgers
This year's nfl draft is the same class of guys who were seniors in high school the year RU lost to 1-AA New Hampshire. Cushing (one of the five or six guys who will go in the first round) was leaning towards rutgers until that game. It is unsurprising that RU did not get all that top-flight talent when it was still conceivable for RU to lose to 1-aa teams at the time.

Also, 5 first round picks from NJ is an anomaly. It's not like NJ produces five each year, this year's draft class just happenes to be loaded.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Honestly, there really isn't a whole lot to complain about in terms of Rutgers football these days. Schiano will be here until doomsday. I am pretty close with the program, and I'll say this...I'll be SHOCKED if Rutgers University doesn't WIN a BCS bowl in the next 2-3 years. Bold prediction - national championship within 10-15 years. Yep, I'm serious.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM

They have been winning their bowl games, but they could be the class of the Big East if they could just keep the northeast's best recruits

Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM

I agree it would be great to keep top talent year after year at home. But when talent from past years (the Shea Error, The Dick Anderson Era) has been aggressively recruited by other colleges, those other colleges are going to be listened to first.

The approach Coach Schiano has been using, though, is the right approach. Always go after the top recruits that fit the mold you want for young men at the school, academically and psychologically, and let them know you are interested in them. Not all of these young men are mature enough with the brains they need to get in the admissions door. And if they don't express the same level of interest, move on. Don't waste time with them.

I'd rather have a solid core class every year of young men with a drive and will to win as a team than to have the top 20 ranked recruits by Scout, Rivals, and ESPN each of whom is thinking of their time in college as a showcase for their skills for the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey