Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 9,522 times

Advertisements

I moved to Phillipsburg a year ago and I hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM

97 posts, read 310,848 times
I used to work out there and hated it. I never noticed any crime and always felt safe, but it's defintely more of a blue collar area. I live out east, and driving there every day made me feel like I was going into a time warp. You will feel like you are living more in PA, than NJ. If you are commuting east for work, forget it. 78 will always be bumper to bumper traffic and if there is an accident, you can easily add another hour to your commute.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 PM

334 posts, read 731,528 times
My parents moved from Essex to Easton (first town in PA, across the water from Phillipsburg) about 13 years ago. I loved it when they first moved out. A few years ago, my wife and I even house hunted in Lopatcong, Alpha and Pohatcong. I just couldn't see commuting every day to, at that time, Union County and the pay cut I would've had to take to get a job near there wasn't enough to pull the trigger. There was much less traffic down 78 back then. Now, so many NJ transplants live there and commute to north and central nj to work. They ruined it for everybody!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
It's one of NJ's only towns that is decent and affordable.
I don't know what some of you guys consider bad- But it's apparant some people have high standards in this department- ESPECIALLY NJians!

I've looked around PBurg before. It's not so rough- Druggies and homeless people are probably its biggest flaw, and it's not like they run rampant.
It's just a bit old and isolated, small towns like this exist all over America- It's nothing to scream at.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM

129 posts, read 380,535 times
I agree with some of the other posters. It's not the *best* place, but it's far from the *worst* place.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 35,881 times
P'Burg is such a blah town. Hate it out that way. My in-law's live out in Easton, PA and I hate that area, too. Feels like you're near nothing.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM

55 posts, read 176,893 times
Hi, we saw on realtor.com some nice property in Greenwich Twp, NJ 08886. Any thoughts?
I need to get to NYC at least 2-3 times a week. We have a 3yr old with an hearing impairment.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:10 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanielj View Post
Hi, we saw on realtor.com some nice property in Greenwich Twp, NJ 08886. Any thoughts?
I need to get to NYC at least 2-3 times a week. We have a 3yr old with an hearing impairment.
Greenwich is nice but I believe your children will be going to Phillipsburg schools (at least high school) if I remember correctly. The Greenwich Preschool is GREAT but not sure if it would be good for hearing impaired.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,259 times
Default Living in 08886

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanielj View Post
I consulted a teacher in the area and said the state of NJ provides assistance to any child who has special needs. It sends teacher to assist the child and that teacher stays with the child in the class. The objective is inclusion, i.e. to allow the child to have regular, normal interaction in the class. I have an ADHD child who attended the Greenwich Elem School (GES). He has 'acclimatized' well and is now in HS. GES is a good school with very supportive teachers. There is a lot of volunteerism among parents as well - typical of a suburban community setting. There is also a number of private schools that you can enroll your daughter to. P'burg Christian Academy, St. Paul & St. James, Smart Start, etc.
If you are looking to live in zipcode 08886, these are the community development I'll look around: Greenwich Chase and Wydham Farm in Greenwich township; Greenwich Hills North, Kennedy Mills, and those developments in the N. Main st in Stewartsville; Scotts Mountain; and the Lopatcong areas. I would not recommend Phillipsburg at the moment. My work is a 40 minute commute going to Piscataway (about 45 miles E). When I go to NY, it takes about 2 - 2.5 hours (on a very lucky day? about 1hr 35 mins). Best that you leave either very early or later than everyone else. There is also a bus line that brings you to Port Authority in NY. The bus 'station' is in nearby Phillipsburg mall. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 PM

6 posts, read 20,997 times
I would tend to compare Pburg to Tamaqua, which lies just north of the Lehigh Valley in Schuylkill County. Both went downhill when industry moved out, mfg in Pburg, mining in Tamaqua. Neither are exacty Newark-Camden high-crime
cities, and most of the crime in both cities are drug related offenses, which, if you don't get involved
in them or live next to a drug house and have kids who know how to act responsibly, probably won't be a concern. Tamaqua Area School District is a lot better than Pburg, but we have to remember that Pburg is basically the "fourth city" of the LV, so it will be more urban-like. But both are surrounded by wooded hills and farmland, which can be very scenic. We have to remember, that while Pburg may now be considered an NYC bedroom community, and it may be in NJ, its culture and residents definitely generally have thicker cultural ties to Allentown-Bethlehem, Reading, and even Scranton/W-B/Hazleton than NYC. Just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey