Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 20,264 times

Advertisements

We (family with kids, 3 and 6) are thinking of relocating to Marlboro,NJ from Long Island. Have a few friends who have move there, but it seems like either the husband or wife was orginally from Marlboro. Looking for opinions from someone who may have moved from LI to Marlboro with kids and commutes to NYC by train.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,608 times
Depending on where you are coming from on LI, I think you will find Marlboro to be remarkably similar to LI.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From LI View Post
We (family with kids, 3 and 6) are thinking of relocating to Marlboro,NJ from Long Island. Have a few friends who have move there, but it seems like either the husband or wife was orginally from Marlboro. Looking for opinions from someone who may have moved from LI to Marlboro with kids and commutes to NYC by train.

Thanks for any help.
I don't know about the commute to NYC, but, having lived on both Long Island, and in Central NJ, this I can tell you:

There are tradeoffs, and your comfortability will all depend on the type of Long Islander you are.

If you're someone from Western Nassau, and said area somewhat frames your person, you will most likely have to adjust to NJ living. There might be unnoticed things that, as a Long Islander, you take for granted on an everyday basis. Yet, they'll be noticed, now that they're gone.

If, however, you are a person living on the North Shore of Eastern Nassau, or Western Suffolk, then Marlboro should present little adjustment.

What didn't I like about NJ?

- I didn't care for the way that some people drove. People brake too early, and too often. This might sound like a frivolous complaint, but it gets to you after a bit.

- Foodstuffs like good deli noshing, bagels, pizza, bakeries, are available, but if and when you find it, expect to pay a premium.

- You might encounter resentment from a few native New Jerseyans. Some native New Jerseyans from Central/South Jersey seem to have a lot of opinions about New Yorkers too, about places they've never been to.

- NJ has a lot of great parks, but they don't have the park system (on the water) that we have. Yes, they have boardwalks, etc., but I prefer our park system.

- Depending where you live, drinking water can be a real problem.

Here's what I liked about NJ:

- People are much friendlier, more polite, more helpful, have a greater sense of community, than Long Islanders.

- Outside of Route 9, there is generally a lot less traffic.

- Income taxes are much lower; property taxes a little lower.

- Utilities are lower.

- Wealth of stores that aren't on Long Island, like Wegmans.

- Crime, believe it or not, might even be a little lower than on Long Island.

- Good schools and hospitals, although libraries on L.I. might be a little better.

- You're not confined to an Island; Philly is nearby.

- Great shopping.

- County/Township services are usually quite good.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 302,494 times
If you like to NOSH you need to check out Jerry and Harvey's on Rt 9 in Marlboro Plaza!!!!! EXCELENTE!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,829 times
I agree with your pros about NJ but I'll have to disagree with your cons. This is all in good spirit and might be one of those NJ/NY things :

Quote:
What didn't I like about NJ?

- I didn't care for the way that some people drove. People brake too early, and too often. This might sound like a frivolous complaint, but it gets to you after a bit.

- Foodstuffs like good deli noshing, bagels, pizza, bakeries, are available, but if and when you find it, expect to pay a premium.

- You might encounter resentment from a few native New Jerseyans. Some native New Jerseyans from Central/South Jersey seem to have a lot of opinions about New Yorkers too, about places they've never been to.

- NJ has a lot of great parks, but they don't have the park system (on the water) that we have. Yes, they have boardwalks, etc., but I prefer our park system.

- Depending where you live, drinking water can be a real problem.
1) We always joke you know when it's a New York license plate: the bad driving, cutting off, the no blinkers, all gives them away. Although apparently NY/NJ both get the bad driving rep from other states.

2) I think the premium price is the area of Marlboro itself, it's a more expensive area of Monmouth County.

3) Being a native NJ girl, in my experience it's the other way around, we always here how much better such and Such a place was. Most of us shrug it off. It all works out though because when all is said and done, everyone just wants to have a nice home town.

4) If you get a chance, there are some parks that are on the water, some on the ocean, too. Monmouth County Park Systems may have listings. Ocean County has a few on the water, too.

5) I get sick from water when I travel to other areas. I think it's what you are used to.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
I agree with your pros about NJ but I'll have to disagree with your cons. This is all in good spirit and might be one of those NJ/NY things :
Agreed

Quote:
We always joke you know when it's a New York license plate: the bad driving, cutting off, the no blinkers, all gives them away. Although apparently NY/NJ both get the bad driving rep from other states.
About New York drivers, right you are. I find the drivers in Central NJ more courteous. Crazy thing is, when you apply your directional, the car in the lane next to you, actually lets you in! Still, the brakes, the brakes ...

Quote:
2) I think the premium price is the area of Marlboro itself, it's a more expensive area of Monmouth County.
Most of Long Island is densely populated. Competition is fierce; average eateries don't stay open for long. Long Islanders aren't usually enticed by below market prices for average products. Again, average eateries often can't compete.

Quote:
3) Being a native NJ girl, in my experience it's the other way around, we always here how much better such and Such a place was. Most of us shrug it off. It all works out though because when all is said and done, everyone just wants to have a nice home town.
That's a fair comment

Quote:
4) If you get a chance, there are some parks that are on the water, some on the ocean, too. Monmouth County Park Systems may have listings. Ocean County has a few on the water, too.
The point I was drawing on, is that because Long Island is situated on the water, if you live on the North or South Shore, often times, in your backyard, is a neighborhood park on the water. Again, this simply has to do with location.

Marlboro is a distance to the shore, so the poster might miss having a neighborhood park (on the water) close by.

Quote:
5) I get sick from water when I travel to other areas. I think it's what you are used to.
That's true. But I've worked many different areas in NJ. Some residents love their drinking water, but some won't dare drink their tap.

All in all though, I still think NJ has the edge on LI ...

Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 AM

12 posts, read 62,528 times
I am not going to comment on the driving... EVERYONE else is a bad driver .... WE never drive badly... tell that to the guy behind us.

Marlboro isn't that far from the shore. You can hope on 18 and be in belmar or Spring Lake in under 30 minutes depending on traffic. Marlboro isn't the best town for the train since it doesn't have a train through the town. I guess you could drive to Matawan but parking there used to be VERY, VERY hard to find. There are other towns like Middletown that may be good too and are close to Marlboro. Middletown also offers the Ferry to NYC.

good luck

Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 20,264 times
Thanks for the responses, hoping to get additional insight on the commute - would be taking the train and working midtown manhattan. Also any info on the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey