Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 AM

49 posts, read 373,022 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of going for this for my heating system (forced water, gas furnace, gas boiler, exposed piping)...but it isn't a maintenance program, just a repair/replace. Sounds like a glorified extended warranty to me. If I have a home warranty like Weichert Gold, isn't that covering the same stuff?

There were similar programs in NY, though they included yearly maintenance calls (my old landlord had Keyspan/Con Ed come before the winter to inspect the furnace, etc). I'd prefer it if maintenance were an option. Any ideas/opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn4Life View Post
I was thinking of going for this for my heating system (forced water, gas furnace, gas boiler, exposed piping)...but it isn't a maintenance program, just a repair/replace. Sounds like a glorified extended warranty to me. If I have a home warranty like Weichert Gold, isn't that covering the same stuff?

There were similar programs in NY, though they included yearly maintenance calls (my old landlord had Keyspan/Con Ed come before the winter to inspect the furnace, etc). I'd prefer it if maintenance were an option. Any ideas/opinions?
natural gas fired furnace? If so, they are pretty much maintenance free and very inexpensive to replace so save your money

Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
I have two worry free contracts. My opinion is it is worth it, not very expensive and if you need something replaced, I think it is 20% off labor. PSE&G tends to be a bit less expensive than a local service contract covering the same thing.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I have a contract on my gas furnace (about $4 a month PSE&G)) and well worth it.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM

49 posts, read 373,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
natural gas fired furnace? If so, they are pretty much maintenance free and very inexpensive to replace so save your money
Weil McLain furnace, 2 zone, powered by a White-Rodgers and a Honeywell digital battery-powered thermostat. I think it was purchased in 1995 by the previous owner. I was told to throw some 3-in-1 in the spigget a couple times a year, and that's that.

And what's your definition of very inexpensive? 3 grand ain't cheap to me...

My two problems with Worry Free are no maintenance, and no included labor. Am I crazy? I am new to homeownership, so school me.
Attached Thumbnails
PSE&G Worry Free...worth it?-img_gas_eg.jpg  

Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
I had the worry free on my furnance. We had no heat one winter morning, I called, and was told it would take 48 hours for service. It had started to snow during the night and we weren't able to leave. A PSEG van pulls up to my neighbor's house. I thought it was for me. No, he only fixes refrigerators. So, they come out in a storm to fix the fridge, but not our heat. By this time it's 40 degrees inside my house. I finally got the guy who installed the AC to come out. Of course I had to pay him. so worry free? Not so much.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:29 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
I have had it on my furnace and I needed them to come out - no problem they came pretty quick.

My oven wouldn't light one day, it wasn't under contract, so I put it under contract. I think I had to wait a month to make a repair call, they came out and fixed it and I paid nothing.

It was well worth it for us to have.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
I have mixed feelings on them. They were always reasonably prompt, but not helpful at all in some cases. I had a very frustrating morning over the summer with them. That being said, I imagine that in a heat emergency it's convenient to have.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default PSEG Worry Free

I had the service on air conditioner and furnace. It is well worth it. A computer board on the furnace went and it cost me nothing for them to replace it. Without the service it would have been $300+ for part. Another part on the air conditioner was required and it didn't cost me a dime.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn4Life View Post
Weil McLain furnace, 2 zone, powered by a White-Rodgers and a Honeywell digital battery-powered thermostat. I think it was purchased in 1995 by the previous owner. I was told to throw some 3-in-1 in the spigget a couple times a year, and that's that.

And what's your definition of very inexpensive? 3 grand ain't cheap to me...

My two problems with Worry Free are no maintenance, and no included labor. Am I crazy? I am new to homeownership, so school me.
Excellent system but if it was installed in 1995, the manufaturer's warrantee is no longer. For $4/month...what the hell...go for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey