Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 11,022 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]I have been parking my car in the lot and on the street (metered spots) on NJ Railroad Ave for the last 6 months or so. From time to time I have noticed broken glass on that street.

Well, this week I got back to my car about 7:15 pm to find my front passenger window totally smashed out and some stuff stolen from my car.

The Police Officer who wrote up the report said there have been a lot of these incidents lately. He said they have even struck inside the pay lots.

The next day I parked in metered spot very close to the Little Man Parking entrance, where there is supposedly someone there all day. Figured this would be an area where more people are and thus less chance for a break in.

Wouldn't ya know it when I got back to my car the car in front of me had his window smashed. Then on the way back to 280 I noticed ANOTHER smashed window on 2nd street.

This is getting pretty bad.

Anyone else notice this?
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,558 times
car vandalism almost on a daily basis...wow!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,897 times
You are taking a risk if you choose Harrison, NJ as your park & PATH.

The parking attendants DO NOT stay there all day. They arrive around 5 am or 6 am, and leave for the day around 11 am or noon.

Honestly, this is how I used to park for free 5-7 days a week in those lots when I used to work the 4pm to midnight shift in Manhattan. I would pull into a lot around 2pm, park, NOT PAY (I didn't even bother doing the whole 'fill out the slip and stick the money in the envelope and drop it into the parking booth slot' thing), and ride into Manhattan. I know I risked getting ticketed or towed, but I never did the entire TWO YEARS that I did this. This shows you how closely these lots are monitored (yes, yes, the meter maids are always around and will ticket you if your meter is even 1 minute overdue, but they only care about giving out parking tickets for the meters for the township of Harrison...they have nothing to do with the privately owned lots). And let me tell you, when I had to walk from the PATH station back to my car at 1:30, 2 in the morning, I saw plenty of shady things in that alley NJ Railroad Ave. One time I saw some guy just passed out (I'm assuming he was passed out and not dead, but I can't be sure) in that alley. There used to be a little bar at the end of it (closed now) which made the riff raff in that area worse. Not to mention, all the drunk people coming from bars/clubs regularly use NJ Railroad Ave as a urinal. I've had to walk past many people peeing in that alley (including women).

Someone told me that car thieves in Newark consider the Harrison PATH station parking lots to be a gold mine of a free-for-all. Sometimes they jack cars for profit. Sometimes they'll just take it for a joyride and abandon it. (This happened to my friend's car in broad daylight, in the middle of the day.)

I've never personally experienced vandalism to my car, but that's because it's old, dirty (e.g. deliberately not taken to a car wash in years, literally) dented, and there's nothing of value inside--no GPS, no EZ-Pass, no iPod holder, not even a CD player (just an old am/fm radio + tape deck). Plus, I would DELIBERATELY have garbage and all kinds of 'what the hell is that?!' type of crap all over the back and passenger seat.

Well, enjoy the cheap Harrison parking while it lasts. One of the parking attendants told me that when the new parking garages go up, ALL the parking prices---even for the sketchy lot all the way at the back by the river---are gonna go way up like JSQ and Newark prices.

There is this small mom & pop parking lot that most people don't know about. It's right next to Lot B off of NJ Railroad Ave, right next to those row houses by the gas station & car wash by the front of that lot. The lady that lives in the house right there owns that small parcel of land (can't really call it a parking lot). She charged the old-school price of $4 a day as late as June of 2008 (not sure now...I'm done with the PATH trains and take a bus into Port Authority...don't have the patience for the overcrowded trains...and it's too expensive with the parking).

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 11-03-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 10,685 times
Some more info from someone who has parked here for 4 yrs. 1) NJ RR avenue lots belong to daycare parking. There are lots A,B,C and I think, D. The lot attendent comes in at 5:30 and is gone by 11 AM. On top of that, they seldom salt the lot in the icy winter, its a first come, first server lot, and the attendent has all the charm of an ice road trucker who has flat tire. For 2 yrs I parked there, and every month when I went to the both to get a new sticker he always asked me "what do you want?" Finally I told him I was looking to sleep with his daughter and did he know what time she would be in. What an idiot. The lot is filled with rocks, glass, metal shards, nails, etc plus in the warm weather the locals use it for whatever purposes...I have gotten at least 3 flat tires there, and multiple scratches on my car. People take two spots routinely when they park, and if you come around 10am, you are pretty much hosed. There is a local repair mechanic there, Costa, and he says its not unusual to hear glass crack and cars to be ripped off or vandalized.
Now, if you have a good car, and can afford $175 mo, than park IN little man parking, not on the street. The attendent is there ALL DAY until at least 9pm, there is a gate, and I have not had any problems. Much higher class of people since most cars are audis, bmw, mercedes, etc and these people are careful when they open the door. Use common sense. do not park next to fords, and gm's, or old cars. Park near the attendent.
This lot is cared for and is in better shape than daycare. It costs more, but you get peace of mind. also, it would not be a bad idea to get the club and use it (I know its not foolproof, but in this lot, if anyone wanted to rip a car off, they would choose one without it).

That small mom and pop lot, is across from the car wash, the same dirt bags that walk through day care pass close by and there is only room for 4-6 cars, and its been booked for quite some time.

No matter what, do not park on the street. Remember, Harrison is next to Newark and there is no fortress to keep out dirt bags from one area to another.
Also, Harrison is a "diverse" community. You can interpret that any way you want.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM

165 posts, read 351,032 times
has Harrison parking lot gotten better?

Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelairProspect View Post
has Harrison parking lot gotten better?
Nope, too close to Newark and they are the ones doing it.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Nope, too close to Newark and they are the ones doing it.
Oh please , it has gotten alot better since 2008....alot cleaner and safer in General...the crime in Newark seems to stay bounded by the River...

Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Oh please , it has gotten alot better since 2008....alot cleaner and safer in General...the crime in Newark seems to stay bounded by the River...
What exactly gives you the impression that Harrison is "ALOT" safer and cleaner now? Is it the town houses built on the river? Because Harrison seems exactly the same as it always been except with a stadium now. Not to say it was ever bad or dirty but its the same as its always been....Harrison.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:50 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
What exactly gives you the impression that Harrison is "ALOT" safer and cleaner now? Is it the town houses built on the river? Because Harrison seems exactly the same as it always been except with a stadium now. Not to say it was ever bad or dirty but its the same as its always been....Harrison.
From the train, Harrison looks like nothing but a bunch of deserted, rundown warehouses that are only visited by graffiti "artists" a/k/a hoodlums with spray paint.

It's a depressing-looking place.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
There used to be more Factories and Warehouses , now they'll begun to tear those down and replace them with shops and Middle Income apartments / condos. All the Warehouses and factories should be gone by 2018 at least South of 280. I remember it being alot dirtier a few years ago then it is today.... Once you get rid of all the warehouses which are still in use , the crime will fall further....and since they will be replaced with Middle Income housing and Retail the area will become more stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey