Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 AM

14 posts, read 67,333 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to NJ this Summer from Long Island. My wife stays at home (involved in the kids' schools) and I will be working in Morristown. Our children will be 8,7 and 5.

We are looking for an area (1) with good schools (2) newer homes, preferably built by Toll Brothers---an ingrounnd pool is a plus (3) an area not as wooded as Northern NJ (4) shopping relatively close (5) within 25-30 miles of Morristown and (6) just an overall nice place to raise a family. We are willing to go to $800K.

After looking North and West of Morristown (too wooded, too mountainous), we are now looking at Hillsborough and Branchburg.

Any thoughts on these areas? Do they fit what we are looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
If it was me, I'd look at Bridgewater and Branchburg- both should fit your needs. Hillsborough can be a PITA to get in and out of, as there's really only one "main" road in and out of most of the town (Route 206), and it get's packed with traffic. It also floods in some areas, which makes travel difficult.

Bob

Old 02-14-2007, 11:21 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
I agree with Bob about getting in and out of Hillsborough. 1/2 of your commute will be just getting out of Hillsborough.

Hillsborough you will get more house for the money than B'Water or B'Burg.
Branchburg will get you more house for the money than Bridgewater.
Bridgewater is the better location if north of rt.22.
You can get to Morristown from Bridgewater using back roads. (best to stay off the interstate during commuter hours)

You can get something real nice in Bridgewater for 800K. Toll brothers builds lots of McMansions in this area but not for 800K. Look for something not in a development, the quality will be better.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I forgot to add- I don't know why you're so enamored with Toll Brothers- like most of the big builders, they build houses with alot of gingerbread to make them look like more than they are, but in general they don't build a great product. As Emanon mentioned, you'd probably be better off looking for something outside of a big development that was built by a spot-lot builder.

Bob

Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 PM

14 posts, read 67,333 times
If we lived in Branchburg, that would put us in the Somerville HS. Should that be a concern?

Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM

That is the downside of living in Branchburg. Country living but send your kids to HS in the city. Bridgewater is the better choice, more expensive but you get what you pay for.

E

Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Somerville is considered "City", wow, small city maybe but definitely not urban by any means. I guess the fact that you live in an upper middle class community like Branchburg, then send your kids to mix in with a higher crime working class type community could be a concern, or it could be considered a plus if you value diversity.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:36 AM

157 posts, read 780,393 times
Check out Readington Township. It is a little farther west than Bridgewater, but in my opinion much nicer. It has good schools, is close to rt 78 (probably 40 min to Morristown), nice familes- and not as much overdevelopment as BRWRT (condos and townhomes).

I am just guessing, but most Toll Bros nieghborhoods will START at at 900k in nice areas in NJ.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Readington is very nice BUT be careful where you buy. Don't wanna be under the flight path when those JUMBO 747's start taling off and landing at Solberg.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:16 PM

33 posts, read 197,939 times
I have lived in Branchburg for 10 years now. My kids love it here. However to be VERY honest YES sending your kids to Somerville hs is a huge down side and a real hot button in Branchburg. For the taxes you pay to live in Branchburg it's unbelievable we do not have a HS, or a nice down town area or much of anything. The post that said you can find a nice house for 800k I don't know where they are living but try more like 900k to 1 mil. and Branchburg is all about where you live what you have, what you drive where you shop if toy catch my drift. Hillsbourgh I totally agree about 206 being the only route in and out and the traffic is horrible. If your husband is working in Morristown there are so many other areas I would strongly suggest you look at before Branchburg and Bridgwater. Depending on what you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey