Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,838 times

Advertisements

My husband has been transferred to Newark, NJ from Richmond, VA and we are looking for a place to relocate just out of NJ. No more than 1hr commute to Newark Airport. Do we go with PA or DE? We don't know anyone who lives in either state. Can anyone help? Price range for homes not to exceed $350-$375k. We also have to small children so we want something safe, good schools, you know the drill
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 86,482 times
PA or DE will be more than an hour's commute with city traffic...(It's a LITTLE different here than where you're coming from My daughter lives in Morristown,NJ and it's a charming community w/ fantastic schools. There are also a number of towns surrounding Morristown that would meet your criteria. Your house price range will be a challenge, but certainly NOT impossible. My daughter has been house hunting and she's found quite a few things in that price range - your lucky that now is the time to buy. I fly in and out of Newark frequently and can get to the airport in 20 mins from Morristown. I suggest there as a starting point. Feel free to IM me if you would like additional info. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:59 PM

22 posts, read 330,312 times
Newark like all other inner cities has both its nice and not so nice neighborhoods and schools. Moderator cut: no advertising allowed

Last edited by tahiti; 08-13-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 PM

526 posts, read 1,394,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhamze View Post
My husband has been transferred to Newark, NJ from Richmond, VA and we are looking for a place to relocate just out of NJ. No more than 1hr commute to Newark Airport. Do we go with PA or DE? We don't know anyone who lives in either state. Can anyone help? Price range for homes not to exceed $350-$375k. We also have to small children so we want something safe, good schools, you know the drill
There will be no place in Delaware or PA that is less than 90 minutes commute, and when the weather is bad count on a 150 minute commute from those places.

Sorry to say 350K to 375K is not much of a budget for a New Jersey home that has your other wishes.

I was showing 2 bedroom 1.5 bath condos last week in Parsippany which would be your less than a 1 hour commute. These condos were priced 350K to 400K and they were not luxury condos.

It would be possible to do a fixer upper or needs updating 3 or more bedroom in some towns such as East Hannover, Parsippany, Denville, or possibly Morris Plains.

You are likely finding that New Jersey is much more expensive than Richmond VA, but commuting from PA or DE is simply not realistic in the long term.

James Boyer

Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 PM

792 posts, read 3,144,245 times
Quote:
My husband has been transferred to Newark, NJ from Richmond, VA and we are looking for a place to relocate just out of NJ.
That is awful, a very backwards xfer in many regards. I feel your pains. Did the company offer to pick up cost of living differential expenses?

Quote:
No more than 1hr commute to Newark Airport.
You are willing to do 1hr. in normal driving conditions w/these fuel prices, kids, and proportional (distance based) insurance rates? WOW!

Quote:
Price range for homes not to exceed $350-$375k. We also have to small children so we want something safe, good schools, you know the drill
I'd say look at Wallington, Carlstadt, Lyndhurst, Wood-Ridge, Hasbrouck Heights, and North Arlington (all southern bergen county). You may be pushing $350-400k here. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey