Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,589 times

Advertisements

My fiance and i are moving from NJ to TX in 1 month. We're both from NJ and grew up in the Woodbridge area but don't want to buy a house there. We are considering either Westfield or Cranford. I've read through the post on this site and have seen a lot of comments about both areas. We really want to live somewhere with downtown shops but don't want to be around snobs.. ( a lot of the post reference snobby people in Westfield)
Are budget for a house is 550K. We're young with no kids and want an area with a good nightlife (not crazy clubs or anything just some cool restaurants and bars). So here are my questions...

Which area is better?
Whats the diff between the south and north side of Cranford? (while looking at house online is seems the north side is the place to buy)
Is Cranford downtown going through a revitalization?

Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,564 times
Smile Another question about westfield & cranford

I just moved to NJ and could not afford Westfield but really do like the downtown area. Not that familiar with Cranford although I think its nearby.

Hopefully someone else will reply with better comments as I'm new to NJ. Sorry.

JT
Woodbridge, NJ

Old 06-21-2008, 05:50 AM

239 posts, read 1,142,288 times
I was asking some of these questions about a year ago or so. I was worried about the "snob factor" of Westfield. We bought a house here last Fall and my husband and I are still waiting to meet or encounter someone snobby. In fact, our neighbors couldn't be friendlier and more welcoming.

We have had a lot of visitors since we moved here, from out of the state/country, and every single person has been struck with how wonderful and friendly the whole town seems to be. The UK visitors say that Westfield is what they envision when they think "all-American" downtown. It's interesting to see how the town appeals to our visitors people of all age ranges--kids-through 60's.

I don't know much about Cranford except for that it's comparable to Westfield pretty much in every way you mention. I prefer Westfield's downtown personally for usefulness, but they're both nice. You really can't go wrong with either. Good Luck

Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,025,837 times
You are right, both towns are very similar. Westfield is at a higher price point, which makes Cranford look like a bargain. I will be sitting an Open House tomorrow on Normandy, which is on the North side, stop by and take a look, that home is completely renovated and ready to move in, and is within the price range that you mentioned.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM

183 posts, read 501,742 times
As a Cranford resident, I can tell you that you really don't need to worry about the snob factor unless you are concerned about the opinions of empty-headed morons. That is to say, you may encounter it from time to time but you will just do what the rest of us do....look at those people and laugh. From a lifestyle and economic standpoint, there is very little difference between Cranford and Westfield living.

Westfield is larger and therefore has a greater amount of more expensive homes, with accompanying higher taxes. Westfield has a larger, nicer, more upscale downtown area. Cranford has vastly improved it's downtown area, and it now hosts a growing number of restaurants and shops. It will always play second fiddle to Westfield in this regard, as it is more limited in size, and was for years stunted by a counter-productive downtown management committee that was misguided, ineffectual, and downright idiotic. That era seems to be at an end now, years overdue. Downtown Cranford is buzzing at the moment.

So while there is no productive answer to "which is better?," one could make the argument that it would be smarter to buy in Cranford and still enjoy all that Westfield has to offer, since it's only a few minutes away.

Regarding the north vs. south side of Cranford, this is the classic "which side of the tracks do you live" story, quite literally, since the north and south sides are separated by the NJ Transit Raritan Vally line. In practical reality and in everyday interactions between people, this is essentially a non-issue. There are lovely areas on both the north and south sides, and from a day-to-day perspective you can be perfectly happy either way. That said, I think it is true that there still exists a certain amount of "north vs south" superiority in the minds of many people. That's because the north side features the nicest-looking neighborhoods with the largest houses on the biggest lots. So speaking honestly, if I had to choose, I'd take the north side (which I did, over 20 years ago).

Best of luck in your search.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,283,793 times
Cranford and Westfield are very similar. There are beautiful neighborhoods, and a few average neighborhoods. Very few huge lots in either town. Both towns = quintessential suburbia.

I grew up in Cranford. Truly a wonderful place to raise a family. I would say Westfield's downtown is nicer...although Cranford's is very nice as well.

Generally, you won't find too many snobs. Probably more in Westfield than Cranford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey