Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:44 AM

3,284 posts, read 1,764,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjesusisking View Post
Just wanted to get peoples opinions and views:

If tomorrow you were evicted, no friends, no family and perhaps $3,000 in your bank account.
What would you do to survive?

If faced with this option, what town would you stick around and why?

Does no one rent out furnished rooms anymore? When I was discharged from the Navy I lived in a furnished room in Hopatcong for over a year. There were also small vacation cottages available for reasonable rents at the time, some were lakeside, which was my next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 09:28 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,126,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
My point is simple: I would avoid being homeless (living on the street) at all costs. That includes living in a hotel even if I had to put it on credit cards.

You’ve clearly stated what you WON’T do in this scenario. What would you actually do?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/64712104-post16.html

While I have been lucky, I have plenty access to first hand experience among my circle of friends. Many have survived on the streets w/ surfing between friends homes, camping out, and living in their vehicles. If you have a network of friends and places, it is not the end all. Most if not all will tell you that what cash (even credit reserves) you have will be consumed very quickly in hotels; worse if you end up defaulting on credit cards. It leaves you with little left over to put towards the end goal of finding a job. A night in a hotel with no job interview in the next morning is not an investment in finding a job. Got a job interview the next morning? By all means, get a hotel room the night before to rest up, wash up, and prepare; that IS an investment towards getting out of homelessness.

Finding affordable rent in NJ with bad credit is very difficult. The best way to mitigate is with a co-signer. A lot of people will not co-sign on a lease with someone who just recently was homeless and jobless. Another way to mitigate is offering a large deposit. Kinda hard with just $3000 in the account minus what you have already spent. Job history is another...

Last edited by usayit; 01-31-2023 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 08:37 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/64712104-post16.html

While I have been lucky, I have plenty access to first hand experience among my circle of friends. Many have survived on the streets w/ surfing between friends homes, camping out, and living in their vehicles. If you have a network of friends and places, it is not the end all. Most if not all will tell you that what cash (even credit reserves) you have will be consumed very quickly in hotels; worse if you end up defaulting on credit cards. It leaves you with little left over to put towards the end goal of finding a job. A night in a hotel with no job interview in the next morning is not an investment in finding a job. Got a job interview the next morning? By all means, get a hotel room the night before to rest up, wash up, and prepare; that IS an investment towards getting out of homelessness.

Finding affordable rent in NJ with bad credit is very difficult. The best way to mitigate is with a co-signer. A lot of people will not co-sign on a lease with someone who just recently was homeless and jobless. Another way to mitigate is offering a large deposit. Kinda hard with just $3000 in the account minus what you have already spent. Job history is another...

Surfing between friends homes is not really homelessness. The scenario presented was no friends, no family. You’re adding a bunch of things like being able to crash at friend’s house or live in your car. If you have a car you can do Door Dash to pay for a cheap motel. I can’t believe I’ve been talking about this for so long lol

Old 02-01-2023, 06:00 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,126,613 times
Quote:
Surfing between friends homes is not really homelessness. The scenario presented was no friends, no family. You’re adding a bunch of things like being able to crash at friend’s house or live in your car. If you have a car you can do Door Dash to pay for a cheap motel. I can’t believe I’ve been talking about this for so long lol
By your argument living in a shelter then is also not really homelessness.

Old 02-01-2023, 02:26 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
By your argument living in a shelter then is also not really homelessness.

Living in a shelter, from what I hear, is no walk in the park. It’s dangerous and people steal your belongings. I don’t think living in a shelter and crashing at a friend’s house is comparable

Old 02-01-2023, 02:47 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,473,020 times
Asylum folks, asylum.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:13 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:
Living in a shelter, from what I hear, is no walk in the park. It’s dangerous and people steal your belongings. I don’t think living in a shelter and crashing at a friend’s house is comparable
It's not. Not even close. I won't discuss sheltering my son's recovering friend because I've been accused of gloating. He was either going to sleep in my son's bedroom, freeze to death, or go back to the shooting gallery. I'd known him since he'd been a dorky 12 year old and couldn't let that happen. He was fresh out of rehab and his mom didn't want him - with good reason.

A hot shower, warm bed, clean clothes, and enough to eat can make a world of difference.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:53 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's not. Not even close. I won't discuss sheltering my son's recovering friend because I've been accused of gloating. He was either going to sleep in my son's bedroom, freeze to death, or go back to the shooting gallery. I'd known him since he'd been a dorky 12 year old and couldn't let that happen. He was fresh out of rehab and his mom didn't want him - with good reason.

A hot shower, warm bed, clean clothes, and enough to eat can make a world of difference.
Good on you. And pox on whoever would say that about you!

Old 02-07-2023, 07:44 PM

113 posts, read 226,406 times
I think actually the safer urban areas of NNJ, not the hoity-toity ones where homeowners would call cops, but somewhere near the meadowlands, or in JC, might be really good for 'van-life'. You'll have a high density of services, churches for food, and lots of job options. I bet in JC or Hoboken you can get free passes for city rec centers, making showering easy. If you park next to Cemeteries or on dead-end streets, back up against freight tracks, you'll get quiet. Ideally having large trees to park under, to avoid the elements from rapidly breaking down your van, or maybe an underpass beneath a train. I definitely see who is living in trailers or RV's in NYC, and know where they are. if you can locate these ppl in NJ, as long as they're sane, you can support each other- warn about break-ins or enforcement, maybe share some food or company, have someone to help you if you need to change a flat, etc., and create a little bit of a sense of place.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:58 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36 View Post
I think actually the safer urban areas of NNJ, not the hoity-toity ones where homeowners would call cops, but somewhere near the meadowlands, or in JC, might be really good for 'van-life'. You'll have a high density of services, churches for food, and lots of job options. I bet in JC or Hoboken you can get free passes for city rec centers, making showering easy. If you park next to Cemeteries or on dead-end streets, back up against freight tracks, you'll get quiet. Ideally having large trees to park under, to avoid the elements from rapidly breaking down your van, or maybe an underpass beneath a train. I definitely see who is living in trailers or RV's in NYC, and know where they are. if you can locate these ppl in NJ, as long as they're sane, you can support each other- warn about break-ins or enforcement, maybe share some food or company, have someone to help you if you need to change a flat, etc., and create a little bit of a sense of place.
I don’t think the cops will do anything about it, especially if they’re not causing any “trouble”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey