Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 06:26 PM

5,174 posts, read 3,779,977 times

Advertisements

I usually don't think of any of those places as being NE Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 07:26 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,537,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I stayed at the La Quinta in Clifton off Highway 3. It was just an ordinary chain hotel, nothing fancy but suited our needs.
This hotel serves up the best bagels I've ever eaten. Did you make it to their breakfast bar?

Old 09-25-2022, 07:54 PM

12,192 posts, read 8,062,626 times
NJ does a poor job at marketing itself. There is a lot more than I expected here. Jersey City is such an awesome place alone. I could spend 3 days between there and Hoboken, alone.

Although, NJ and MA have a pretty unique bond and on my recent visit to Massachusetts, almost all people had some sort of really nice comment to say about NJ (Sophisticated, really nice, diverse, fun, etc). A lot of people have started, very recently, coming down to NJ. I moved up to NJ from NC in 2021 and almost every comment about NJ was about how much it sucked... they're pretty ignorant about NJ I must say.

My parents visited me recently for a few days and the hardest part of the trip when they were here was fitting in all the things we wanted to do. In 3 days we ended up doing Ocean City, Asbury Park, Red Bank, Hoboken/JC, some malls in Northern Jersey, the area around me and hiking near Watchung. Next trip we are doing Lambertville/New Hope, Princeton, Hoboken again, GSP/American Dream, Morristown, Somerville and some farms out in Morris Co.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:31 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Next trip we are doing Lambertville/New Hope, Princeton, Hoboken again, GSP/American Dream, Morristown, Somerville and some farms out in Morris Co.
When you visit Princeton, be sure to also take a look at the adjoining village of Kingston. With the exception of Mount Vernon and Manhattan, George Washington probably spent more time in that area than anywhere else.

During the course of the Revolutionary War, he led his troops through that village twice (and also conducted his famous Conference on Horseback there, following the Battle of Princeton) and by the end of the war, his headquarters, where he lived for several months, were in that area. His headquarters building--Rockingham--was originally located a couple of miles Northeast, in the tiny village of Little Rocky Hill, but it later had to be moved to nearby Kingston as a result of road construction and quarry activity. Martha even lived at Rockingham for a while, but not as long as George did.

The village of Kingston lies midway between NYC and Philly on the old stagecoach route (now Rt. 27), and as a result, for many years, it had the only tavern/lodging house on that route for travelers between those two cities. Additionally, Kingston has the distinction of being the only NJ village that is situated in three municipalities (Princeton, South Brunswick, Franklin Twp.) and in three counties (Mercer, Middlesex, Somerset).

Old 09-26-2022, 08:21 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
William Paterson (December 24, 1745 – September 9, 1806) was an American statesman and a signer of the United States Constitution. He was an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, the second governor of New Jersey, and a Founding Father of the United States.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Paterson_(judge)

He spelled his name with only one T, and so does the city named for him!

Fun fact: His daughter Cornelia married Stephen Van Rensselaer, whose family also has a city named after them, in New York.

As you guessed, Paterson was indeed a thriving industrial city, particularly known for its silk mills. In fact, its nickname was Silk City. My paternal grandparents met when both worked in the Paterson silk mills and married in 1914. Paterson at one time was the largest silk-producing city in the nation.

Wars between China and Japan and then the invention of nylon killed the city's silk industry.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:25 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I usually don't think of any of those places as being NE Jersey.
Same here. I would consider northeast Bergen to be NE New Jersey, although I guess you could include Hudson County. But not Newark at all. I guess when looking on an overall map of the state, however, it would look like part of the northeast.

Still, it's interesting that someone checked out the urban areas and even the rattiest parts of Bergen County for a change.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I would consider northeast Bergen to be NE New Jersey, although I guess you could include Hudson County. But not Newark at all. I guess when looking on an overall map of the state, however, it would look like part of the northeast.

Still, it's interesting that someone checked out the urban areas and even the rattiest parts of Bergen County for a change.

At least Paramus and north. North of Route 4 at least.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:21 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,784,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Interesting observation. I consider all communities along I-287 and north and east of I-287 to be NE New Jersey. You can see on a map that this area roughly coincides with the part of New Jersey directly across from New York City. I'd likely consider New Brunswick to be the southernmost point of NE New Jersey.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:48 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,784,600 times
I just read about Fort Lee and how the entire community has pretty much turned into a large Koreatown. I only drove through Fort Lee on US 46 on the way to the Palisades Parkway and did not have time to stop to take a look around but I did manage to pass by an H-Mart. I'll have to stop by there to take a good look in a future trip. It's these interesting places that New Jersey ought to market. I mean with all these different ethnic groups reviving communities here and there, NE New Jersey is a patched quilt of ethnicities. The problem is that there isn't enough marketing for outside people to know about these places.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Interesting observation. I consider all communities along I-287 and north and east of I-287 to be NE New Jersey. You can see on a map that this area roughly coincides with the part of New Jersey directly across from New York City. I'd likely consider New Brunswick to be the southernmost point of NE New Jersey.

Your opinion I don't share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey