Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,949 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Stapleton, Staten Island, lord knows I have been wanting to get out of here and I am looking in North NJ for a rental house. I found houses for rent in Jersey City, Passaic, and Elizabeth but I know nothing about the areas. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me any information about those three cities or recommend another city. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 PM

79 posts, read 286,589 times
Default passaic girl here

born there and spent early years there. it is not a nice place anymore. well, was never really NICE per se, but was safe and decent. passaic park is much much better than passaic proper and has a large hasidic jewish community. passaic has a lot of crime, also hope you know spanish.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:08 PM

79 posts, read 286,589 times
Default umm...

and only been to elizabeth for the ikea pick up location. it is pretty industrial from just driving though it, can't tell you much.

jersey city is so big, some of it is posh and annoyingly yuppie. some of it is ghetto and dangerous. large area and you have a variety from ethnic enclaves to old school jersey.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 PM

18 posts, read 86,862 times
What brought you to those areas? I hate to say this, but those towns are some of the worst areas of the state. High crime, run down, poverty...just not towns I would even want to live close to. What type of area are you looking for? I could give you more direction with more info.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 16,051 times
Just out of curiosity, why were you wanting to get out of Staten Island so badly? I'm moving to NJ or NY for a job in Jersey City and I was considering Staten Island, but I don't know much about the area. Is there something I should know??

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:50 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,421,589 times
go to jersey before you go to staten island..No offense but it has changed since 8 years ago when we lived there..born and raised in Bklyn, If u an afford jersey I would do that....

Old 01-25-2007, 09:09 PM

209 posts, read 1,685,493 times
To echo the other comments about Elizabeth, Jersey City, and Passaic, you should be very careful about looking in those areas. While there are some somewhat decent parts of Elizabeth (discussed in another thread--do a search for it), the town is one of the roughest in the state. Ditto for Passaic, although some of the towns around Passaic are much nicer (and more expensive).

Jersey City has some pretty rough areas as well, although its downtown area (close to the Hudson and east of the Turnpike extension) is pretty nice but VERY expensive compared to the rest of northern NJ, as in a 2-bedroom condo going for $600K+. Unless you will be working in JC or Manhattan, you may find better value elsewhere.

Oh, and for the other person interested in SI--remember, living in SI will require you to pay NYC income tax on top of NY state tax, and considering property taxes aren't much lower than NJ, you will likely face a higher tax burden (assuming you don't work in NY and wouldn't otherwise pay the city tax). Just something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey