Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 12,407 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for the good and bad of living in Rahway. I’m looking for a condo/apt. Any thoughts on Skyview?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 06:34 AM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
I lived in Rahway, many years ago, when it was not anywhere near as desirable as it is today. Rather than the mostly-deserted downtown of yesteryear, today the downtown area is fairly vibrant, with several very good restaurants.

The only negatives that I can think of are the absence of a supermarket in town--thus necessitating a car for your grocery shopping--and a school system that is... not so good. The Skyview building is very conveniently situated for those who need to take NJ Transit trains, but that may also produce a negative, due to the noise factor when Amtrak trains speed past. Also, if that building does not include reserved parking for its tenants, you may find that parking is problematic.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 12,407 times
I noticed there are no supermarkets near and I don't have a car.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:41 AM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
The closest supermarkets are in Clark, Linden, and Woodbridge. Unless you are prepared to add the cost of taxis or Ubers to your monthly budget, or unless you are willing to buy a car, it sounds like Rahway isn't for you.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:52 PM

343 posts, read 230,227 times
I really like living in Rahway. I moved here 8 years ago. I originally rented but after two years was ready to buy a home. I'm planning on staying as long as possible. For me it's perfect. I love being able to walk downtown and there are free things to do. It's got a great mix of people and places. There's something here for most people. Without a car you can have groceries delivered. It's an added fee of course but options are more plentiful as things did change during the pandemic. In my situation right now I don't drive due to my eyesight. I order food from Costco (most expensive delivery surcharge but you get more food for your buck) for my meats and paper goods and even sometimes body care items, doordash will deliver from places like Aldi and drugstores. I do periodically order groceries through amazon prime via. whole foods but whole foods itself is pricey.
In town, Station cab is fairly inexpensive. The daytime rate is 6 bucks but they do charge to wait. It's not bad for going to Rahway Fresh Market to stock up on cheap and good vegetables and some staple items. There are places in town where you can go buy chicken parts within walking distance from the apartments. Don't be afraid of the little bodegas.

But yes, no real supermarket. Maybe make a friend with a car and buy an annual Costco membership and make a deal. You take them into Costco with you and they drive. You can each buy whatever you want and split other items ie. not everyone wants 10 lbs of mangoes or onions

Living here without being able to drive is a pain though. I won't lie. The commute to the city is hard to beat though. The vibrancy of Rahway is hard to find unappealing. It's a semi-urban area where you can feel safe walking around, have fun at a bar or restaurant locally and enjoy free concerts and the farmers market in spring and summer. In short, it has a community feel.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:08 AM

1,153 posts, read 865,273 times
I have used Instacart too, which is good in a pinch.

Also, Rahway has a great bar and grill called Rockys with live music just about every Sat night. Excellent wings too!

Old 04-27-2022, 07:26 AM

860 posts, read 1,340,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLover12345 View Post
I noticed there are no supermarkets near and I don't have a car.
You could shop online with delivery. Shoprite is $20 per delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey