Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 06:40 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,779,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
All the adjacent houses have similar prices as the listed price(396k, 569k, 619k).. as seen in the zillow listing map so it doesnt look like it was posted well below the market.
Friends of mine bought a similar quality house in Verona for under $500k a few years ago. Asking price seems reasonable to me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 03:15 AM

7,424 posts, read 3,567,959 times
joke is on the buyer because not only did they just put themselves under water, they will be saddled with having to pay 12k a year just for the privilege of living in Verona.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:08 AM

189 posts, read 262,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
A neighbor of mine recently passed away and her townhouse just sold. Nearly identical to the one I own, except I have an extra full bath in my basement. The house sold for 42K above asking. In The Woods (my affectionate term for NW Morris County). I was pretty shocked.

I’m digging this equity I’m building. Bonus, the apartment I lived in before I bought my house now rents for more than my entire monthly housing payment, including taxes, HOA and PMI fees. A crash may be coming, but it would have to be a truly massive one for me to be underwater…
I also live in NW Morris County, the home sale prices here are absolutely crazy compared to when we bought 4 years ago. My neighbor just sold his house, he purchased in 2019, made no major changes except paint. His home had multiple offers within a few days, sold for 185k more than he paid in 2019! Market is insane everywhere

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...ource=txtshare

Old 04-02-2022, 05:42 AM

214 posts, read 352,129 times
Well this contender can't beat the Verona listing posted by OP. But for a NW Morris it's kind of a shocker for someone to pay 117k over listing price.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

Old 04-02-2022, 07:21 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
There was a house for sale in my neighborhood, asking $599k, and sold for $815k.

What the hell is going on ?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/25-Morn...38737627_zpid/

Wow, that is insane! The desperation that is being seen now to buy homes is insane.

After renting in Bergen County for a few years, I knew I wanted to get out and never saw myself dropping the money to purchase a home there. Ideally, I wanted to leave NJ (and was vocal about it on this forum, lol). However, my wife was not ready to and we had family obligations and jobs tying us down here. Some compromises included moving to western NJ (Morris/Warren/Sussex) or South Jersey.

Fast-forward to 2020 and western NJ got expensive too. I was able to get a 100% remote job last year and my wife was miserable at her job, so went job hunting.

We revisited moving out of state, mainly Texas or the Carolinas. We actually decided to buy in South Jersey last fall for the following reasons:

1.) Mentioned states are experiencing massive exponential population growth. Didn’t want to deal with the growing pains and increasing costs that brings.

2.) Want to add some Busch babies to the mix soon and moving so far away from family and friends doesn’t make sense now. We have some family down here and having Grandmas 1.5 hours away is not so bad. One wants to move by us already.

3.) We got a good deal down here! I thought I was in another state. 3,000 sq ft house, taxes under 9k for well under 400K

4.) Moving to the mentioned states would’ve meant a 15-20K yearly pay cut for my wife. She found an amazing job down here paying her a North Jersey salary. No brainer.

So far, we love it down here! I don’t miss the congestion and traffic of Bergen AT ALL, although I miss the amenities and how close everything was. You can’t have it all I guess. Having Philly nearby is great though and can’t wait to enjoy the shore more in the summer now that we’re closer.

I still want to move out of NJ eventually, maybe in 6-8 years. Let’s see what things are like then.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 04-02-2022 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-02-2022, 09:22 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,831,044 times
It's only since covid, I wonder if it's the Manhattan dollars coming over... $815k, would be lucky to get a studio over there...before covid.

I wonder how long would this last, since it's very tempting to take advantage of this craziness, but where would I go? FL and Texas are just as crazy.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:16 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Well this contender can't beat the Verona listing posted by OP. But for a NW Morris it's kind of a shocker for someone to pay 117k over listing price.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare
Even lowly West Orange is getting into the game

A mid-century expanded ranch for $632k, listed at $569k. I'd be upset if I didn't already live in the neighborhood :-)

Old 04-02-2022, 09:35 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Wow, that is insane! The desperation that is being seen now to buy homes is insane.

After renting in Bergen County for a few years, I knew I wanted to get out and never saw myself dropping the money to purchase a home there. Ideally, I wanted to leave NJ (and was vocal about it on this forum, lol). However, my wife was not ready to and we had family obligations and jobs tying us down here. Some compromises included moving to western NJ (Morris/Warren/Sussex) or South Jersey.

Fast-forward to 2020 and western NJ got expensive too. I was able to get a 100% remote job last year and my wife was miserable at her job, so went job hunting.

We revisited moving out of state, mainly Texas or the Carolinas. We actually decided to buy in South Jersey last fall for the following reasons:

1.) Mentioned states are experiencing massive exponential population growth. Didn’t want to deal with the growing pains and increasing costs that brings.

2.) Want to add some Busch babies to the mix soon and moving so far away from family and friends doesn’t make sense now. We have some family down here and having Grandmas 1.5 hours away is not so bad. One wants to move by us already.

3.) We got a good deal down here! I thought I was in another state. 3,000 sq ft house, taxes under 9k for well under 400K

4.) Moving to the mentioned states would’ve meant a 15-20K yearly pay cut for my wife. She found an amazing job down here paying her a North Jersey salary. No brainer.

So far, we love it down here! I don’t miss the congestion and traffic of Bergen AT ALL, although I miss the amenities and how close everything was. You can’t have it all I guess. Having Philly nearby is great though and can’t wait to enjoy the shore more in the summer now that we’re closer.

I still want to move out of NJ eventually, maybe in 6-8 years. Let’s see what things are like then.
I am not seeing it. Given your circumstances, you seem like a lifer there.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:30 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,779,643 times
listing price means nothing. When I was looking, I didnt even look at the prices. I asked my agent to send me houses that met a certain criteria, without the prices and I decided what I thought they were worth. I also kept a spread sheet with listing agent, asking price, and sold price. You can clearly see a pattern based on the agent. Some constantly sold for 10%-20% below, and others 10%-20% above

Old 04-03-2022, 09:00 AM

860 posts, read 1,340,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
It's only since covid, I wonder if it's the Manhattan dollars coming over... $815k, would be lucky to get a studio over there...before covid.

I wonder how long would this last, since it's very tempting to take advantage of this craziness, but where would I go? FL and Texas are just as crazy.
Yeah I was watching house hunters and in Denver on the outskirts, a renovated garage (450 sf) was going for $300k. For a garage. Crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey