Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 11:03 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Also I didn't know there were other resident owners here who had a problem with the same Company. Thank you for your advice.

I have no idea whether anyone other than you has had trouble with that company or not. Why would you think that? What I suggested is that you ask other people who they use to service their own HVAC systems. Get recommendations for a company other people have received good service from.

I didn't suggest that you need to learn how to service an HVAC system yourself, just find out under what circumstances your particular model might legitimately need freon added. No one here has any specifics about your system so no one can give you advice about that. Talking to the manufacturer about your specific system might help. IMHO, your simplest and best option is to find a reliable service company who can make that determination for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 11:09 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I moved here to get away from having to deal with things like this.
That's a pipe dream. If you buy your residences, you'll need to deal with some sort of maintenance and the companies that provide those services no matter where you live. The only way to avoid maintenance issues is to rent an apartment that supplies all the utilities.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-12-2021 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-14-2021, 07:11 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
your idea of calling the police over this as a solution indicates to me you are lost. Find someone lucid to help you with your problem.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:01 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
I just replaced my unit 2 years ago . A Heat pump systems my old one was about 15 years old . The systems don't use "freon" any more and if yours does ,you're out of luck . This explains it better then I can.

https://www.onehourheatandair.com/de...fect-your-air/

New Freon Regulations in Effect for 2020
The EPA works to decrease the use of environmentally harmful chemicals. In 1992, the agency decided that HCFCs (hydrochlorofluorocarbons), the chemicals that help refrigerators and air conditioners to cool, should be phased out due to their contributing effect on ozone depletion, releasing a mandate to stop all Freon production by January 2020.

For decades, Freon, also known as R-22 and HCFC-22, was the main refrigerant used in residential AC units. However, new AC systems made since 2010 no longer rely on Freon, instead using a refrigerant called R410A, or Puron, that has been shown not to harm the ozone. Since 2015, Puron has become the standard for residential AC systems. Additionally, manufacturers of R-22 Freon have been forced to dial back on production every year since 2010, which has steadily increased the cost of R-22 Freon. As a result, Puron is now a cheaper and safer alternative to the old refrigerant.

Impact on Homeowners with Older Air Conditioners
In the past few years, many homeowners have already switched to more environmentally friendly refrigerants, and older AC systems that have been replaced according to schedule were most likely switched out for Puron units.

Freon-based HVAC units that still fully function need not be replaced just yet with these new regulations. Although Freon will no longer be produced or imported by 2020, limited recycled amounts will still be available. Older systems can be serviced with refrigerant using stocks of HCFC-22 until the January 1st, 2020 date. Afterward, technicians must source recycled Freon to keep old cooling systems running.

Additionally, there are R-22 replacements still available to homeowners in 2020. "Drop in refrigerants" are a suitable R-22 refrigerant replacement that mirror traditional freon, but are not subjected to the R-22 phase out. You will still be able to purchase this R-22 substitute after 2020.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:15 AM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Please stop naming companies with which there are complaints. It is against the TOS because it can cause legal issues for the website.
those Companies are in google for public access. What is the difference between their being here not allowed yet it's allowed all over Google?

Old 11-20-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
your idea of calling the police over this as a solution indicates to me you are lost. Find someone lucid to help you with your problem.
Huh, I never said calling the police. What made you think that. When I said reporting the Company and/or the employee I meant reporting the fact that he wanted cash and no receipt given to me. Also he padded the bill up wards when I said no to paying $200.00 in cash for him to pocket.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Please stop naming companies with which there are complaints. It is against the TOS because it can cause legal issues for the website.
The Company is on Google. Maybe a private direct message would be better so what is public on google won't be public here on this site.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live in Florida and went thru a leak in my unit in July. The company I use here found a rupture and fixed it. So I had a major leak and it was easy to locate. I had lost all the freon, so replaced all of that. My bill was $1000 A unit that needs freon replaced has a leak, and that leak just gets worse. Most AC companies will recommend replacing units when freon needs replacing. My unit was only 4 years old, so I think the AC company felt it was worth fixing. Had it been older it would need replacement. It would not have been worth the repair bill.

Depending on the age of your unit. If it's older I would try to replace it since it obviously has a leak.

If it's not an old unit I would try to get references for reputable AC companies. Tell them what's going on and ask them what they recommend. Most likely it will be replacement. Otherwise your only other alternative is replacing freon until the unit dies. AC units are expensive to replace. Before I lived in Florida I had window units. So much cheaper to replace. Here in Florida the HOA won't allow them. It's Central AC is the rule here.
My HVAC is 7 years old. I don't know if that's considered old. Get this though I just found out my neighbor across the hall was told her HVAC has a leak and it was recommended she get a whole new HVAC. I read on Google that the EPA isn't allowing freon R-22 to be use anymore and has been replaced with R410. Oh it can be bought but it will cost to much money now that it is considered environmentally unsafe for the ozone. So $200 to $300 every 2 years will get expensive. It seems to be only this one Company that that tells residents here they need freon added.

I'm going to a Company that was recommended to me next year. Right now the A/C works good but the heat part I have to turn the thermostat up to 74 to feel anything an it takes a few hours to even feel heat. I miss baseboard heating and wall Air Conditioners

Old 11-20-2021, 08:30 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
those Companies are in google for public access. What is the difference between their being here not allowed yet it's allowed all over Google?
Because the lawyers for the owner of this particular privately-owned website have advised him that he could be sued for defamation if he allowed people to trash companies on his forum, so he wrote not allowing it into the rules by which you agreed to abide when you signed up here.

The owner of Advameg, City-Data's parent company, has nothing to do with Google, so I am not sure where you are going with that.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Also I didn't know there were other resident owners here who had a problem with the same Company. Thank you for your advice.

I have no idea whether anyone other than you has had trouble with that company or not. Why would you think that? What I suggested is that you ask other people who they use to service their own HVAC systems. Get recommendations for a company other people have received good service from.

I didn't suggest that you need to learn how to service an HVAC system yourself, just find out under what circumstances your particular model might legitimately need freon added. No one here has any specifics about your system so no one can give you advice about that. Talking to the manufacturer about your specific system might help. IMHO, your simplest and best option is to find a reliable service company who can make that determination for you.

I do apologize I though it was you who suggested I learn a little about the system and if it would need freon. I am now waiting to see if anything happens and I know where I will go. I'm going to try a suggested place and see how that works.

I very surprised my neighbor just a few days ago had a problem with her HVAC. This building I moved to has had a lot of problems with almost everyone in my building needs new water heaters with new pipes above the and now the HVAC's may be needed to replace before 10 years. I was told they didn't install the water heater properly and that's why they all leaked. If I ever sell this place the new owners will have all new appliance by the time I'm ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: