Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 5,838 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm a Livingston resident and I recently found out that a developer is looking to turn an existing corporate office property next to my community (Livingston Square) into a large warehouse that can operate 24/7 with large trucks and trailers. I'm concerned about potential noise, air pollution,and traffic congestion once the warehouse is built. I was not informed that a warehouse could be built at the time of purchase so this came as a surprise. To my knowledge, most of my neighbors are not aware of this as well. The builder, Pulte, did not inform such development could happen and I do not believe potential buyers are aware of this.

Does Livingston township have any laws that could regulate the hours of operations to some extent, perhaps to normal business hours? I also just learned this past week that the Livingston Township council voted for the warehouse development to proceed, but I believe that most residents in this neighborhood are not aware of the meeting, therefore did not participate and voiced their concerns accordingly. So it appears to me that the Township Council did not take the majority of the neighborhood's opinions into considerations. This is a new residential community and I would guess that none of the Livingston Township Council live in this area.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 03:08 PM

19,206 posts, read 25,484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentTransplant View Post
This is a new residential community and I would guess that none of the Livingston Township Council live in this area.

When you communicated your concerns to your local councilperson, what was his/her response?

Old 08-21-2021, 03:15 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,477,119 times
$$$ always trump (no pun intended) laws… especially in current-day ‘Murica. Good luck with the fight…

Old 08-21-2021, 05:44 PM

I just learned about this a few days ago and just have time to think this through today so I haven’t had the chance to speak/reach out to Councils yet. But I find this quite frustrating because it seems like City Councils have not respected/ listened the opinions of the neighbor in our area. Importantly, I just found out that the warehouse might be the largest in Livingston and perhaps other surrounding areas. It will have over 280,000 square feet of space with 54 Loading Docks and can park 56 large trailers. This is an Amazon size warehouse. I can not imagine anyone would want to live next to a warehouse of this size that comes with significant operation noise, pollution, and traffic.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:42 AM

16 posts, read 7,149 times
Quote:
This is an Amazon size warehouse. I can not imagine anyone would want to live next to a warehouse of this size that comes with significant operation noise, pollution, and traffic.

It would be convenient to live next to it if you worked there.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:11 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,754,665 times
Zoning Laws, start working on your town counsel and telling them no or at least enact laws on noise and work limitations .That could curtail Companies from doing that.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:12 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,754,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10032 View Post
It would be convenient to live next to it if you worked there.
No it wouldn't' . You call in sick and your Boss can see your house from his window.................hell no.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:00 PM

Who would want to live next to a warehouse? Regardless of you work there or not. In addition to noise and traffic, there’s also pollution issue from hundred of trucks coming through the neighborhood. There are plenty of children in this community and students who attend Kushner will end up suffering from all the diesel exhaust. Diesel exhaust is linked to lung cancer and asthma flare up.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:20 PM

7,064 posts, read 19,368,803 times
Quote:
I also just learned this past week that the Livingston Township council voted for the warehouse development to proceed, but I believe that most residents in this neighborhood are not aware of the meeting, therefore did not participate and voiced their concerns accordingly. So it appears to me that the Township Council did not take the majority of the neighborhood's opinions into considerations. This is a new residential community and I would guess that none of the Livingston Township Council live in this area.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It was probably the planning board that approved it, not the council. At least that’s how it works in most places. If that’s the case, the applicant (developer) is required to notify all property owners within something like 200 feet of the property boundary of the planning board hearing date by mail.

The planning board has to consider whether the application conforms to allowable use/size/other considerations consistent with local zoning). If the application complies, the board is obligated to approve it. Whether or not the nearby residents want it or not doesn’t matter a great deal. If a property owner’s plans conform to the law, a property owner has the right to develop/redevelop that property accordingly.

Usually a municipal council only gets involved if there’s something affecting revenue (e.g., a approving a tax abatement, or a change to the zoning code), but those actions would not be approval or denial of the development proposal itself.

If there are potential buyers in the residential community they should do their research, pull zoning maps, review the zoning code, etc. to understand not just what’s around the property today but also what could be developed in the future.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:40 PM

When I looked at the zoning code, it says research and development district. And it looks like Joseph Kushner, Newark Academy, and all corporate offices in this area have the same color. It’s odd to me that a large warehouse could be developed to replace an existing corporate office under the same zoning code. I don’t think most people would think that an office building could turn into a warehouse. I think this sets a very bad precedent in my opinion. Then what next? Livingston become one of those warehouse town that people don’t want to live anymore? No one would want to live immediately next to warehouse. Not even Manhattan residents as far as I know live in close proximity (across from your street) to a large warehouse.

And by the way, this not only affected our community and Kushner school students directly. It also will have impact to everyone in Livingston along the routes that the trailers will pass through. This is going to be hundred of trailers crossing major roads in Livingston. For those who don’t know, the participles emitted by trailers can cause lung cancer and cause asthma. And these particles will spread to a decent area across the town. So this will impact a lot of people living here.

Really really disappointed with the Township, the Planning Board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey