Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 06:57 PM

16 posts, read 26,139 times

Advertisements

We are interracial couple Indian and Japanese with 2 elementary level kids. I work at downtown NYC on waterstreet and thinking to move to either Livingston or Princeton area for obvious reasons - good schools, space etc..I probably need to commute 3 times a week in future.
which place is better in terms of commute and environment for mixed root family?
Livingston is close to NYC but I hv to drive to Harrison and take PATH ( maintain 2 cars, cost plus stress of driving to the station and catching train from Harrison which seems to be very crowded).
Princeton junction allows me to take a fast train and change to Path. Princeton also has some Japanese community and other facilities which will be good fr my wife.
Is the commute from Princeton worth to move compared to Livingston? Taking a train seems to be good option than driving and taking a train.
Livingston seems to be a typical town with not much downtown, no big parks or anything to do. Where as Princeton has a character, parks , restaurants etc.
but Princeton sounds too far from NY.
appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited by Letstabi; 06-11-2020 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 07:50 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letstabi View Post
We are interracial couple Indian and Japanese with 2 elementary level kids. I work at downtown NYC on waterstreet and thinking to move to either Livingston or Princeton area for obvious reasons - good schools, space etc..I probably need to commute 3 times a week in future.
which place is better in terms of commute and environment for mixed root family?
Livingston is close to NYC but I hv to drive to Harrison and take PATH ( maintain 2 cars, cost plus stress of driving to the station and catching train from Harrison which seems to be very crowded).
Princeton junction allows me to take a fast train and change to Path. Princeton also has some Japanese community and other facilities which will be good fr my wife.
Is the commute from Princeton worth to move compared to Livingston? Taking a train seems to be good option than driving and taking a train.
Livingston seems to be a typical town with not much downtown, no big parks or anything to do. Where as Princeton has a character, parks , restaurants etc.
but Princeton sounds too far from NY.
appreciate thoughts and suggestions.
Just so you know, Princeton and Princeton Junction are separate towns. Princeton Junction is a part of the larger West Windsor Township. Princeton has the downtown; Princeton Junction/West Windsor doesn’t really. If you live in Princeton you will have to take a bus or the dinky train to get to the Princeton Junction train station to get into NYC.

Personally I would say Princeton Junction but I’m a resident so I’m biased. Don’t know much about Livingston but to me, Livingston seems like it would be more crowded, up there in NNJ.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Just so you know, Princeton and Princeton Junction are separate towns. Princeton Junction is a part of the larger West Windsor Township. Princeton has the downtown; Princeton Junction/West Windsor doesn’t really. If you live in Princeton you will have to take a bus or the dinky train to get to the Princeton Junction train station to get into NYC.

Personally I would say Princeton Junction but I’m a resident so I’m biased. Don’t know much about Livingston but to me, Livingston seems like it would be more crowded, up there in NNJ.
Thanks. May I know why you prefer Princeton junction over Princeton ? Besides it’s close to the station? Do you know any good quality rental communities in Princeton junction that are walkable to the station?

Old 06-12-2020, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks. May I know why you prefer Princeton junction over Princeton ? Besides it’s close to the station? Do you know any good quality rental communities in Princeton junction that are walkable to the station?
I prefer more open spaces. Princeton is ok to visit but not where I’d want to live. Nothing wrong per se, just not my scene. Neither town has very many rental communities. In Princeton Junction there is the Parc at Princeton Junction that would be walkable to the station. They are building another small complex on Princeton-hightstown road within walking distance to the Princeton Junction train station but it isn’t complete yet. In Plainsboro, a neighboring town to West Windsor which shares schools with West Windsor, there are mote rental communities, but you’d be taking a bus or shuttle (if your community offers a shuttle service).

If I had to choose between Parc and the place under construction, I’d pick the Parc as it’s tucked away more. The other is right on the main drag through town.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:19 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,674 times
Quote:
Nothing walkable to Princeton Junction train station.

The NJ Transit #612 bus used to have stops near Avalon at Princeton Junction https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ne...ceton-junction and Princeton Terrace https://bestrentnj.com/Communities/Princeton-Terrace/
but I can't find the schedule on the NJ Transit website.
Don't know if they did away with it.

https://www.parcprinceton.com/floor-plans/
https://www.themewsatprincetonjunction.com/features/
used to have private shuttle to the train station
don't know if they still do

https://www.woodmontwayapartments.com/ opening in 2021

Old 06-13-2020, 03:35 AM

Thanks
Are there any townhouse rental communities ? Supply seems to be very low. Princeton elementary schools are rated higher than WW schools, are they different?

Old 06-13-2020, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Are there any townhouse rental communities ? Supply seems to be very low. Princeton elementary schools are rated higher than WW schools, are they different?
Just to clarify, Parc is only a 15 minute walk to the station. The new community they’re building will be about a 5-10 minute walk.

Both towns have mostly homeowners. I don’t think either have rental townhomes. As to princeton and west windsor schools, they’re both excellent. You can’t really go wrong with either.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:07 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Quote:
Thanks
They are both excellent, as others have said, but they are definitely separate and different.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:34 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Just to clarify, Parc is only a 15 minute walk to the station. The new community they’re building will be about a 5-10 minute walk.
If by new community, you mean Woodmont Way, it is definitely not 5-10 minute walk. Woodmont is near Market Fair mall.

Quote:
Thanks
Are there any townhouse rental communities ?
Not that I know of. You may want to use Zillow to look for private rentals.

The Princeton Terrace apartments have 1 car garage where the living area is on the second floor and the bedrooms are on the third floor.

https://bestrentnj.com/Communities/Yorkshire-Meadows/ is nearby but Lawrenceville Schools

Old 06-13-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
If by new community, you mean Woodmont Way, it is definitely not 5-10 minute walk. Woodmont is near Market Fair mall.

Not that I know of. You may want to use Zillow to look for private rentals.

The Princeton Terrace apartments have 1 car garage where the living area is on the second floor and the bedrooms are on the third floor.

https://bestrentnj.com/Communities/Yorkshire-Meadows/ is nearby but Lawrenceville Schools

Parc at Princeton Junction is on Old Bear Brook (or Bear Brook) Road, near the PJ train station. The new community under construction is on 571/Princeton Hightstown Road right next to the former Rite Aid, now Walgreens which is on the corner of 571 and Cranbury Road. Both are/will be walkable to the train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey