Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 08:02 AM

81 posts, read 79,655 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Monmouth County. Without getting into too many details, I am very familiar with the area and I work near the Port Authority in Manhattan so the bus is my likely mode of commuting. As such we are targeting being within 10 minutes of a park and ride for the Academy Bus either at PNC or Exit 109.

A couple of questions. I know the lot near exit 109 can get very full and crazy. Is it permit or first come first serve? What are the costs to park, and if permit, is there a waiting list?

Second, how about the PNC Bank back lot park and ride? Same questions. First come first serve? Permit? I plan on getting on a bus at around 6:00am. Is the ride in usually true to schedule at close to an hour (barring a catastrophe)?

Just looking to see if anyone does this and knows the parking situation at the bus these days. I know many may suggest the ferry from Belford or Highlands, but the ferry leaves me a long way to go once in Manhattan, and the times, especially on the return don't quite work for me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by conway234; 01-13-2020 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: missing a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 08:33 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
This is the link on the Academy Bus website. It appears you have to call for permit information for Lincroft. I worked with someone who lives near me and used this lot every day, but I've retired and don't see her anymore. It always looks pretty full, so I imagine it makes a difference what time you get there.

PNC doesn't say anything about permits, but they do note they have an overflow lot that becomes available after 7:55 a.m., which I thought was interesting.

Academy Bus - Commuter Bus from New Jersey to New York City

I knew several people who commuted by Academy, and they all seemed OK with it. No personal experience, though. I was a train commuter.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
I'd drive to the South Amboy train station. There are several hundred pay parking spaces and you can also park on a side street.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I'd drive to the South Amboy train station. There are several hundred pay parking spaces and you can also park on a side street.
is this just because of parking or is it preferred for other reasons? just curious for the OP sake. i dont know anything about commuting to manhattan but that drive to south amboy would likely be an easy one from holmdel.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 AM

Thanks all. I am very familiar with NJ Transit trains...I've taken them many times from Aberdeen. I used to live in NJ and have commuted by NJ Transit Bus, NJ Transit Train, PATH, Ferry, etc. I relocated to Connecticut and am now considering returning to NJ....it's a long story.

Given I now work closer to PABT, I'm looking to go via Academy bus instead. Just trying to get a better sense of the parking.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:39 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Then he still has to take a subway or walk when he gets to Penn. I took it that the whole point was to go directly into the PABT.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:24 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
they hand out so many permits/parking passes at 109 it's basically first come first serve. I think at 6AM you should be ok though. Had only done that lot for a bit a few years ago but if memory serves correctly, 630 or so is when it really starts getting desperate in the lot. Might be good to book a room at the courtyard down the block and do a test run one day.
PNC should definitely be fine by that time- I used to head there if I got to 109 too late and never and issue finding spot.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
they hand out so many permits/parking passes at 109 it's basically first come first serve. I think at 6AM you should be ok though. Had only done that lot for a bit a few years ago but if memory serves correctly, 630 or so is when it really starts getting desperate in the lot. Might be good to book a room at the courtyard down the block and do a test run one day.
PNC should definitely be fine by that time- I used to head there if I got to 109 too late and never and issue finding spot.
Thanks Metsfan! Exactly the advice I needed.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 PM

52 posts, read 85,353 times
Plenty of spots at PNC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey