Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I work in Woodbridge and plan to work in New York city in near future. I'm looking for a city which would be commutable to Woodbridge (1 hour max, closer to GSP/NJTP) and more closer to NYC. (30 min to 45 min preferably by train/bus). I've found few cities to meet that goal but would like more inputs from experts here. Also, looking for a safe neighborhood with nice schools ! Also, my wife is in medicine field, so would like a city with lots of hospitals/healthcare facilities....No Kids yet but planning to have one this year.....
So, order of Priority is - i. Commute ii. Schools/crime/safety/healthcare facilities

1. Closer to current work:
i. Edison - what do you guys think about North vs. South Edison ?
ii. Metuchen
iii. East Brunswick -heard that its a blue ribbon school community
iv. North Brunswick - heard about future NJT station. not sure when it would come

2. Closer to NYC:
i. Lyndhurst - 30 mins to NYC, what do you guys think about this?
ii. North Arlington - ?
iii. Montclair - ?
any other city in Bergen county - ?

3. New developments -
i. K Hovanian has a brand new development in Hillsborough - not sure about this location
ii. Monroe - think its too far from NYC, not sure about rush hour traffic to NYC
iii. North Brunswick - Pulte has new 3 BR house here starting at $439 K, not sure about this location.
iv. South Plainfield - there is a townhouse/condo called Celebrations with shuttle service to Metuchen train station. Please advise about this.
v. Cedar Grove - K hov has built a new property here with shuttle service to Montclair station. Price - $469 K. Please advise.

Thank you all in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 03:59 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,703,386 times
I don't mean this in a bad way but I would do my own home work , people here are nice but no experts ....just many opinionated folks like myself . Look at a map ..............visit some place's check out traffic commute and schools and shopping . Best O luck.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,492,685 times
if you plan to go to philly too, I would choose just #1.

If you plan mostly to nyc, I would go with #2

Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,163,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateParkway View Post

3. New developments -
i. K Hovanian has a brand new development in Hillsborough - not sure about this location
ii. Monroe - think its too far from NYC, not sure about rush hour traffic to NYC
iii. North Brunswick - Pulte has new 3 BR house here starting at $439 K, not sure about this location.
iv. South Plainfield - there is a townhouse/condo called Celebrations with shuttle service to Metuchen train station. Please advise about this.
v. Cedar Grove - K hov has built a new property here with shuttle service to Montclair station. Price - $469 K. Please advise.

Thank you all in advance !
You can eliminate Hillsborough right off the bat. That is not at all convenient to Woodbridge or NYC (it's a 90-minute train ride into NYC).

Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
How about Scotch Plains or Cranford. I think the whole Edison/Metuchen area should be avoided as the commute there to NYC gets very hectic and expensive. I had a co-worker that sold the house and moved out of Edison because he was tired of he neighborhood nearby too many Indians. He's not a racist, he's just tired of people cooking very greasy stuff without a proper venting system and stains his windows and fence with grease. His block frequently has ton of Indian children that often uses his front lawn disregarding his property line. The areas around Edison with less Indians can get very expensive.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 AM

19,154 posts, read 25,390,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
He's not a racist
... which is the way that EVERY racist describes himself.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM

20 posts, read 50,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
... which is the way that EVERY racist describes himself.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I don't mean this in a bad way but I would do my own home work , people here are nice but no experts ....just many opinionated folks like myself . Look at a map ..............visit some place's check out traffic commute and schools and shopping . Best O luck.
that is what he is doing.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How about Scotch Plains or Cranford. I think the whole Edison/Metuchen area should be avoided as the commute there to NYC gets very hectic and expensive. I had a co-worker that sold the house and moved out of Edison because he was tired of he neighborhood nearby too many Indians. He's not a racist, he's just tired of people cooking very greasy stuff without a proper venting system and stains his windows and fence with grease. His block frequently has ton of Indian children that often uses his front lawn disregarding his property line. The areas around Edison with less Indians can get very expensive.
they stained his windows and fence with their indian grease?

Old 07-11-2019, 01:57 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,661,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they stained his windows and fence with their indian grease?

If my windows and fence are going to be stained with grease, it better be white grease darnit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey