Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
How about Buxtons Ice Cream Parlor in Rahway?
I mentioned that earlier Machinst. My Dad took us there often. If you eat the 16 scoop wooden bucket of ice cream you got the 2nd 16 scoop bucket for free and you were free to share that one with your friends. I did it one time. I tried many. I did not throw it up either. I held it all in. All 16 scoops of chocolate chip mint.

Bradlees next door is gone now too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 PM

I got one for ya all. This might test your age.

Does anyone remember the big fire what is now referred to "The Great Koos Bros. Warehouse Fire"

I think it was in Rahway? Maybe Colonia?

To this day that was one of the largest fires ever in NJ. There is almost nothing on the internet about it because it was long before computers. I seem to recall about 60 fire engines were involved and hundreds of firemen. These were giant warehouses of furniture. About 3 city blocks including the Koos Bros. showroom burned to the ground.

There was a black out in several surrounding towns that lasted almost 24 hours as the electricty was cut by firemen. The sky was coudy with smoke for days. I was a kid but remember the smell real well from over in Avenel.

What was this in about 1968 give or take? Maybe early 70s. I just did a search and there is nothing about this fire.

Anyone remember more?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I got one for ya all. This might test your age.

Does anyone remember the big fire what is now referred to "The Great Koos Bros. Warehouse Fire"

I think it was in Rahway? Maybe Colonia?

To this day that was one of the largest fires ever in NJ. There is almost nothing on the internet about it because it was long before computers. I seem to recall about 60 fire engines were involved and hundreds of firemen. These were giant warehouses of furniture. About 3 city blocks including the Koos Bros. showroom burned to the ground.

There was a black out in several surrounding towns that lasted almost 24 hours as the electricty was cut by firemen. The sky was coudy with smoke for days. I was a kid but remember the smell real well from over in Avenel.

What was this in about 1968 give or take? Maybe early 70s. I just did a search and there is nothing about this fire.

Anyone remember more?

wow, you're old to remember that

i do remember the tanker explosion in edison circa 1990 - had several coworkers displaced from their apartments.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 AM

717 posts, read 773,040 times
Originally Posted by desertsun41

"Drive ins in Wayne where Costco is now, and in Parsippany. Wasn't there a horse farm down the street on 46 too?"

The one in parsippany on Rt 10 West? It is now Gatehall office complex.
I grew up on the streets directly across from rt 10 near the old morris plains bowling alley. I remember the big blue wall that was there before they tore it down for gatehall. I had to be 6 or 7 but I remember a big blue wall. I guess that was for the screen.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,618,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
haven't been to North Jersey in a very (12 yrs) long time but I remember one September (I think it was 1995) where I went to 5 (yup, count 'em 5) weddings in that month alone and they were ALL held at the Bethwood in Totowa. Is it still there?

I also remember a place where a friend of mine had their engagement party and it was called the Wayne Manor. After the party and digesting the um...food, we dubbed it the "Wayne Manure!"

~Shanny
Yes the Bethwood is still there, Last year the Wayne Manor was sold and is a car delarship now.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
We met Scott Muni from WNEW outside the Capitol Theater in Passaic at a bar and we bought him a drink before a Who concert. He gave us 2 third row center tickets for the concert and we had the best show of our life. Now that was a band in it's day. The Capital Theater anyone remember that. We used to go see Southside Johnny on New Years eve there. Seen the Blues Brothers in thier prime out there. John Belushi doing a cartwheel into the audience. Oh I'll stop i'm starting to show my age.
I was just re-reading this post a little while ago, and all I have to say to this is ... wow. When did you see the Who? Was it during the 1975 tour? The Who was the best band ever to perform IMO. A sample:
YouTube - The Who - a quick one live Rock&roll circus 1968 from the 6 minute mark on, it just becomes ridiculous.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wow, you're old to remember that

i do remember the tanker explosion in edison circa 1990 - had several coworkers displaced from their apartments.
You didn't say if you remember it or if you have any details. Im only 50 but the Koos fire was such a major news story that even at about 8-9 years old the memory sticks with me.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
You didn't say if you remember it or if you have any details. Im only 50 but the Koos fire was such a major news story that even at about 8-9 years old the memory sticks with me.
i don't remember it - i'm not sure i was even born.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,022 times
Quote:
I mentioned that earlier Machinst. My Dad took us there often. If you eat the 16 scoop wooden bucket of ice cream you got the 2nd 16 scoop bucket for free and you were free to share that one with your friends. I did it one time. I tried many. I did not throw it up either. I held it all in. All 16 scoops of chocolate chip mint.

Bradlees next door is gone now too.
I never went for the 16 scoop bucket, I was always a hot fudge sunday person. I really miss that place, it was a big thing for me going there back in the 70's.

Bradlees, the animal shelter are long gone. I believe its a Home Depot now.

Sorry I missed your earlier post on Buxtons

Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM

328 posts, read 1,196,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Garden State Plaza when it was an outdoor mall, and the drive-in movie next to it.
I remember my parents taking us to Garden State Plaza during Christmas season to see Frosty the Snowman. And who could ever forget Kresge's, Cornell's and Bamberger's? I also remember the ice arena across from Bergen Mall. We used to go there all the time to watch semi pro hockey games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey