Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 AM

151 posts, read 133,166 times

Advertisements

Does New Jersey have any towns associated with preppiness like Westchester, Connecticut, Long Island, Rhode Island and Massachusetts does?

I'm not just talking about affluence, I'm well-aware that there are plenty of towns with money in NJ. I'm specifically speaking about places with preppy vibes and culture (eg. Where most people wear boat shoes and polo shirts in the summer, places with an easy-going nautical atmosphere, maybe a bit of a "WASPY" vibe going on, etc)...

Places that are classy and not tasteless/gaudy like the Jersey Shore tv show.

Last edited by HomeHunt82; 04-19-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Nope. The entire state is infested with illegals on welfare.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:31 AM

280 posts, read 338,964 times
You might get more helpful responses if you remove the last line. When you described "preppy" towns I wasn't thinking that everything else was "tasteless/gaudy like Jersey Shore". If you think NJ is like what you see on TV then just stay where you are and don't come here.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
Does New Jersey have any towns associated with preppiness like Westchester, Connecticut, Long Island, Rhode Island and Massachusetts does?

I'm not just talking about affluence, I'm well-aware that there are plenty of towns with money in NJ. I'm specifically speaking about places with preppy vibes and culture (eg. Where most people wear boat shoes and polo shirts in the summer, places with an easy-going nautical atmosphere, maybe a bit of a "WASPY" vibe going on, etc)...

Mantoloking and Bay Head
Maybe Sea Girt, Spring Lake, Deal

Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM

213 posts, read 350,146 times
Quote:

Check out Urban Dictionary definition for the town you are looking for.. as far as I know.. Mendham fits the definition and stereotype and Chester in a mild way (Chester has their own Municipality pool.. craft shows in Spring/fall/summer.. the whole nine yards).. also in some way Long Valley.. and from what I hear from this forum, Chatham, Westfield, Madison suits the definition as well. So far I can see that Mendham, Chester, Long Valley (in the order of preppyness)
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mendham
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=Long%20Valley

Last edited by kosb; 04-19-2019 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 02:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
Quote:

Are you seriously searching for towns based on a certain fashion aesthetic?

Also, "preppy vibes" and boat shoes? What is this? 1989?

I like the list of places you posted as a comparison to NJ.

Lawn Guylann?

Is your ascot tied too tight?

Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Mantoloking and Bay Head
Maybe Sea Girt, Spring Lake, Deal
HA! I would not think first of our shore towns, but this makes perfect sense, if we're talking about boat shoes.

I was thinking of Jersey City, which most people would not think of either. But the last time I saw richie riches wearing boat shoes, polo shirts, captain's hats and frolicking on yachts it was in downtown JC when I was there for the Newport half marathon.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:48 PM

79 posts, read 119,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
HA! I would not think first of our shore towns, but this makes perfect sense, if we're talking about boat shoes.

I was thinking of Jersey City, which most people would not think of either. But the last time I saw richie riches wearing boat shoes, polo shirts, captain's hats and frolicking on yachts it was in downtown JC when I was there for the Newport half marathon.
That's the small downtown demographic of lost New Yorkers. Not an accurate representation of the entire city.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeSizlack View Post
That's the small downtown demographic of lost New Yorkers. Not an accurate representation of the entire city.
Oh I know.

Although, all the people I personally know who live there are all native New Jerseyans. With the exception of 1 gold digging auntie from Arizona who married rich.

Anyway, I was just harping on boat shoes.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Well, they aren’t on the water and don’t have a nautical vibe, but I would say Haddonfield and Chatham are the towns that best fit the “preppy” WASP bill. But if you want the ultimate WASP experience in NJ, you should probably go to the Far Hills Race Meeting. In the summer on the Shore, Avalon and Stone Harbor. Most of NJ is simply too diverse to have dominant WASP cultures, regardless of wealth. Very wealthy towns like Millburn, Livingston, Ridgewood, Marlboro, Holmdel, Summit, and Westfield, for example, have a lot of Jews and Asians. So it is less preppy overall. And honestly, it’s better that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey