Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

I would like to open a conversation about living in Rahway NJ. What do people think? is there some areas I should stay from?
I really advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 02:24 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Nice town overall and an easy commute into the city on a direct train line,, new coffee shop opened up today by the train station

Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
The closer to the Merck complex, the better.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:27 AM

343 posts, read 229,561 times
I like living in Rahway. My husband and I rented here for a few years while commuting to NYC and then bought a home. There are a few areas I wouldn't look to live in. Rahway has some less than great areas but even in these the crime rate is not bad. It's more like NYC where you better make sure your car is locked and nothing is left on the seats- more petty theft etc going on than violent crime. The streets are safe at night etc, even as a woman I feel comfortable walking in town at night.

These less desirable spots are blatant when you go house/ apartment hunting. You won't need our help. The red flags will rise on their own.

If you are renting anywhere near the train station you'll be fine. Center of town has dining, arts, free concerts over the summer and the residents are nice people, mostly educated some not but pretty much anyone will talk to you at one of these events. The UPAC has excellent sound and fits the bill for old theatre- seating. You are close not black box close (they have that too) so when you see an act you automatically get a good seat at a reasonable price.

There are art shows in town open to all. A cat cafe where if you fall in love with one of the kitties you could put in to adopt the one or two that touched your heart and finally a good coffee spot (the coffee box, which also has vegan treats) and it's own microbrew as well as a good cuban restaurant which serves the best mojitos I've had- and I try to find ones as good elsewhere to no avail.

Rahway is dog-friendly, not as much in apartment living from what I recall, but as mentioned previously we bought here after renting 4 years ago. So I'm not sure if these new condos allow pets or not.

Rahway is fairly walkable- the exception being grocery. You can get veggies and chicken parts in town at bodega shops and other basics but there isn't a real supermarket in walking distance from the center of Rahway. So if you are a renter NYC commuter without a car you will have to Uber to the supermarket in Clark, Colonia or Garwood ie. or have groceries delivered through Instacart or amazon fresh, Costco delivery etc. Luckily those services are available though it's much cheaper if you have transportation.

If you are thinking of moving to Rahway join the Rahway Community Voice Facebook group and feel us out for a bit or ask questions there. You should get a sense of the community that way.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 AM

50 posts, read 46,350 times
Been living in Rahway for 2 years, transplant from NYC. Love the people (down to earth, not snobbish, eager to help but won't invade your personal space), and love the convenience (great NJTransit line, also bus to NYC, close to Rt 1, Garden State Parkway, NJTurnpike, close to Newark Airport), and good diversity.

Yes - there are parts that are sketchy, but those are pretty obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey