Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:24 AM

186 posts, read 176,238 times

Advertisements

Hi my kids are done with education. I am retired and looking to move to lower my payments. I do like the east coast (except Flordia). Where are most of the people relocating too. I was looking at Ocean View Delaware in a 55+ gated community with clubhouse pool etc. What are the pros and Cons. Any help would be great.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,785,699 times
Just make sure that 55+ really isn't 75+

Some of those places are a lot older than advertised

Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 AM

68 posts, read 87,061 times
We looked at Delaware, nothing bad to say except nothing great for retired 'active adults'.
Traffic around Middletown was crazy due to poor infrastructure planning. Too far from shopping malls for my wife.

We enjoyed it much better in southeast NC, and will move in next month.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,509,190 times
How about South Jersey? Leisuretowne is cute, low taxes

Old 06-28-2017, 11:54 AM

186 posts, read 176,238 times
thanks for your responses Slade51 you picked on another state I was looking at NC. What were the best towns? I was looking at Cary but not sure. Do you have any advise on NC thank you.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,200,243 times
I worked with someone who lived in Wilmington NC for a while and said there were a lot of northeast transplants there. You might want to make sure where ever you end up if you stay on the east coast shore that you don't end up in a summer community that turns into a ghost town the rest of the year.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:22 PM

68 posts, read 87,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
thanks for your responses Slade51 you picked on another state I was looking at NC. What were the best towns? I was looking at Cary but not sure. Do you have any advise on NC thank you.

We wound up in Brunswick Forest in Leland, my wife liked all the clubs and programs they offer. We started our search around Cary until we found that it was cheaper to live near the coast. That's mainly because there are more jobs in the Raleigh - Charlotte area.
But we are retiring so didn't need that. The beach towns might thin out in the winter, but Wilmington is right over the bridge for us.

Take advantage of the discovery packages that the developments (called plantations down there) offer. We contacted a realtor that set everything up for us.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,075,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade51 View Post
We looked at Delaware, nothing bad to say except nothing great for retired 'active adults'.
Traffic around Middletown was crazy due to poor infrastructure planning. Too far from shopping malls for my wife.

We enjoyed it much better in southeast NC, and will move in next month.
Have you picked a moving company?

Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 AM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
I was on vacation in Oak Island last summer and went to an arts and crafts show in Southport, a beautifully quaint little town nearby. This is on NC's southern coast (look on a map) in the Cape Fear area.

They told me that there is a large development called St. James Plantation that the locals call St. Jersey because of all the NJ retirees there.

Further, as I began posting my vacation sunsets and sunrises on Facebook (because you can see both by the water on a southern-facing beach), I got hellos from two fellow retirees from where we used to work, who informed me that I'd passed the development where both live to get to where I was.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:16 PM

10,584 posts, read 7,111,037 times
Personally I see zero appeal for retirement in the mid-atlantic. If you enjoy hot summers, and cold winters on a 1/5 acre yard with no views and nothing to do except a few strip malls and a couple chain restaurants then go for it! Its seems like a great place to spend your golden years miserably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey