Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjoyster View Post
I should have been much clear with the question. Does it even make sense to spend $2 to 3m for a house in Holmdel?

From what I can see there were only a few number of homes in Holmdel that sold for $2m or more over the past 3 years. Perhaps, majority of the larger homes in Holmdel are at least 20-30 years old and can't command such pricing.

What do you think?
it is very expensive for the town. i think that if you bought one of those homes it would take you a long time before you could sell it for more than you bought it. so from that perspective, its not a good purchase. so then it comes down to you personal preferences. i would definitely want to be in holmdel reserve but the price along with the home styles and options drove us away. what i find amazing is the bamm hallow community. not only are they very expensive but there are a lot of them (i think like 190 homes). how they can sell that many $1 million+ homes in middletown is really amazing to me (assuming they are having success selling them, i know they are far from done).

if you are willing to spend $2-3 million you do have your choice of pretty much any town you want. id love to have a house on the water but commute has a big impact on that choice. you have to start thinking of your own priorities and whether you can get more of what you want somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:19 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
Quote:
I should have been much clear with the question. Does it even make sense to spend $2 to 3m for a house in Holmdel?

From what I can see there were only a few number of homes in Holmdel that sold for $2m or more over the past 3 years. Perhaps, majority of the larger homes in Holmdel are at least 20-30 years old and can't command such pricing.

What do you think?
at 2-3MM youre at the very top of Holmdel. At that range you're better off at Navesink or Locust section of Middletown, Colts Neck, Little Silver or Fair Haven on the water, or Rumson maybe in the immediate area.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:10 AM

462 posts, read 549,809 times
Houses seem quite overpriced, if I'm going to shell out that kind of money I would buy the land and build my own home. But to each his own.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
Houses seem quite overpriced, if I'm going to shell out that kind of money I would buy the land and build my own home. But to each his own.
yes, we thought of that. it isnt as simple because good lots in good communities are hard to find. usually they are independent lots not in nice communities. you can buy a cheap house and tear them down but its hard to find a house with a nice size flat piece of land in a nice community for less than 500k. i see a couple of potential spots on the market now but you never know if there are complications. one of the spots thats now been relisted is a piece of land that is pretty much a mountain. not gonna be easy to put a house there.

resale is easier and there are nice ones out there for less than 2-3 million. may as well go with that over holmdel reserve since those houses arent particularly interesting in style. i had an issue because the style of home we are interested is almost non-existent around here.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Gup

115 posts, read 204,217 times
How much does it really cost to build a home though? I have no idea and this community offers something semi custom, but expensive...

Old 06-17-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
How much does it really cost to build a home though? I have no idea and this community offers something semi custom, but expensive...
i have done a lot of research on it but at this point its all fuzzy. i wouldnt do it unless you have a very particular style that you like and its not possible to find otherwise. the holmdel reserve does offer a lot of options. it fits a lot of people's tastes. you may as well go to the sales office and design center and see if you like it. what i really wanted out of that was more the location and hope that it will be a really nice community to live in and that the bell works thing will add to it. that was more what attracted me to it than the houses.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:28 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,039 times
If you have 2.5 to 3 Mill to spend go to Avon by the Sea or Spring Lake.....

Quote:

What do you think?

Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
If you have 2.5 to 3 Mill to spend go to Avon by the Sea or Spring Lake.....
that only adds about 20 miles to my commute. it also doesnt get you a house on the water. a house on the water is my dream but probably wont happen until retirement.

i believe you can get on the water for that amount in rumson, fair haven, middletown which would be legitimate alternatives.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:35 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that only adds about 20 miles to my commute. it also doesnt get you a house on the water. a house on the water is my dream but probably wont happen until retirement.

i believe you can get on the water for that amount in rumson, fair haven, middletown which would be legitimate alternatives.
you can def do it in these towns plus Little Silver, Monmouth Beach, and Oceanport without going too far away to southern Monmouth County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey