Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 AM

416 posts, read 1,714,112 times

Advertisements

And for 100k or above, who is paying these salaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
And for 100k or above, who is paying these salaries?
There's plenty of $100k+ positions available in numerous industries- you just need the right skillset to fill them. $100k/year in the private sector isn't the big deal that it used to be.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,611,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There's plenty of $100k+ positions available in numerous industries- you just need the right skillset to fill them. $100k/year in the private sector isn't the big deal that it used to be.
It's the new minimum wage if you live in NJ : ))

Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 AM

687 posts, read 3,252,360 times
Quote:
After you own it a few months, a fancy car is just a car. A fancy house is just a house. There are always people with fancier ones out there. IMHO the best thing you can do is not get all caught up in it, because when it comes down to it, it doesn't mean much. Family and friends do.
Oh, totally. I'm not endorsing expenses expanding with increased income--just saying it generally happens.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
This is excellent advice that we should all follow. I've been rather tempted myself lately seeing my college peers driving around in flashy 2008 SUVs and sedans while I'm still wallowing around with a 100,000 mile, 10-year-old putt-putt-mobile that was just dented AGAIN yesterday at work by another hit-and-run driver. In the end though, if it gets you from Point A to Point B, then that's all that really matters, right? We're all going to die before long anyways, and we can't take material possessions with us when we're pushing up daisies six feet under. I never understood the infatuation with "McMansions" either---why would you want to dust, vaccuum, heat, cool, etc. all of those "perk" rooms like bonus rooms, media rooms, sitting rooms, hobby rooms, etc.?
right on. You have it 100% correct. I always laugh at my pals who spend $600 a month on a leased car that spends most of it's life parked in a driveway or at work. A car is nothing more than a vehicle, to get you from point a to point b, as you stated. Unfortunate that the automakers have been able to use marketing to make them into to shallow status symbols.

Don't even get me started on mcmansions. Again - a status symbol, nothing more. These idiots feel special because they live in a house that's never been lived in before, but they fail to realize these things are mass-produced, cookie-cutter boxes, made as cheaply as possible. Thin walls, no detail, no trim (I've seen ones even without window casings), brick on the front, but cheap siding on the other 3 sides. The builder laughs the whole way to the bank. But as long as there is a piece of granite somewhere in the kitchen...

Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
I'm not endorsing expenses expanding with increased income--just saying it generally happens.
Not at all. I wasn't suggesting that. I was just expanding on the topic.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
This is excellent advice that we should all follow. I've been rather tempted myself lately seeing my college peers driving around in flashy 2008 SUVs and sedans while I'm still wallowing around with a 100,000 mile, 10-year-old putt-putt-mobile that was just dented AGAIN yesterday at work by another hit-and-run driver. In the end though, if it gets you from Point A to Point B, then that's all that really matters, right? We're all going to die before long anyways, and we can't take material possessions with us when we're pushing up daisies six feet under. I never understood the infatuation with "McMansions" either---why would you want to dust, vaccuum, heat, cool, etc. all of those "perk" rooms like bonus rooms, media rooms, sitting rooms, hobby rooms, etc.?
one day you will grow up and understand why people enjoy material possessions

Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
one day you will grow up and understand why people enjoy material possessions
Does one have to enjoy them him/herself? Or does one merely need to understand why others enjoy them? ...in order to be grown up, that is.

It's not right to put people down for enjoying them, nor is it right to put people down for NOT enjoying them. I wouldn't put down Mother Theresa as "not having her priorities in order."

Personally, I feel if happiness is your pursuit, people should be the source, while material possessions are just icing on the cake. Happiness is much more easily achieved this way. If your primary source of happiness is material possessions...as I said... there is always going to be someone with a fancier car, or fancier house, or more money. So you are always going to be in the pursuit of happiness and never fully happy.

Dont get me wrong, I love my beach house. But it's just icing on the cake.
...and a great way for the family to spend time together.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,251 times
I will say this - my boss has his beach home in Ventnor and he is very generous. While I've seen his paystub and portfolio, which is very NICE - he graciously gives to those less fortunate - and has even gone on a mission trip which he credits for "changing his life".

He doesn't miss school plays, dinner dates and has an office nicely decorated with pics of his family and young ones. I've never met a more generous, kind "grateful" person with so much money! Before giving to charity, he actually requests to see their yearly reports - to make sure the money he gives isn't going to "overhead" as opposed to the people.
To those that miss school plays, buy their children's love, have no relationships with their parents and/or siblings - and let the nanny practically raise their children and see the world as the haves and have-nots and have a horrible attitude to back that - those are the people I just shake my head to and say um um um. . . it's actually sad....and I work with a lot of them.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Does one have to enjoy them him/herself? Or does one merely need to understand why others enjoy them? ...in order to be grown up, that is.
one needs to understand that one size does not fit all and that many people will live life and do things that you don't agree with or understand, once one learns to relish the differences between us rather than despise them, then they might begin to be considered grown up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey