Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,625 times

Advertisements

So this is interesting. I borrow my friends car and take it on the NJ turnpike. I did not know he had EZ pass so I take the highway ticket from the toll collector. When I exit I go to give the exit collector cash and the ticket, but she says " already paid with EZpass, thank you". I drive off with the toll ticket. Will I Get charged( or will the car owner ) receive a ticket in the mail for the un-paid highway toll ticket that wasn't paid or used? I'm confused over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 10:39 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenEskimo313 View Post
So this is interesting. I borrow my friends car and take it on the NJ turnpike. I did not know he had EZ pass so I take the highway ticket from the toll collector. When I exit I go to give the exit collector cash and the ticket, but she says " already paid with EZpass, thank you". I drive off with the toll ticket. Will I Get charged( or will the car owner ) receive a ticket in the mail for the un-paid highway toll ticket that wasn't paid or used? I'm confused over this.
No, you should have no problem. What should happen is when you enter the overhead scanner should log the entry and when you exit its paid, on your friends account.

Your friend that has the EZPass account can log in online and see the charge, regular toll charge.

If anyone gets a notice in the mail, which I doubt, your friend can enter that info on his account and they take off any fines or penalties and just deduct the normal toll.

Ive even done it for kids in the family with cars not registered on the account after the fact, adding them on, having the penalties removed, so your friend who already has the account should have no problem. And there are methods to clear it up without penalties if anyone gets a notice.

In your case with the toll collector saying its already paid,,,, its already paid, fuggedaboudit.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,625 times
Thanks, I think it should be OK as well. The EZpass was hidden in the corner and I didn't even see it. We'll see how it all works out. Funny thing was he mentioned it would entice if I paid the tolls but didn't mention he had the EZ pass set up for the scanner.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:10 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
You would have to take the EZPASS transponder off and put it in one of those foil bags or similar and yes you can't often see them behind a mirror and some cars, vans, etc have them screwed onto the front license plate.

Then depending on the road you might get a discount. I know going through the Hudson River PA tolls it's a few bucks cheaper with EZPASS.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,122 times
The NJ toll inadvertent violation system is unfortunate, ill conceived, dangerous, confusing, pecuniary, probably corrupt, incomplete and may suffer from the deleterious effects of the similar quality of food, air and water on cognitive and creative powers.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,122 times
Just would like to emphasize the recent declaration..

Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
If you still have the ticket offer your friend whatever the toll was in cash (and maybe put some gas in his car).

Old 07-14-2016, 01:48 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist16 View Post
Just would like to emphasize the recent declaration..
Glad you got that off your chest.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
are electric cars automatically allowed in the HOV lane on the turnpike? i looked it up the other day and thought i saw something about applying for a sticker but i just looked it up now and i only see that they are allowed.

i hope they are considering this for the SIE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey