Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 77,984 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are closing on a condo in Teaneck. I read from a (much earlier) thread of some troubling things which made me wish I did more research before making the offer. So, what's the deal with Teaneck? Do I believe in those earlier nay-sayers? Or, is Teaneck the really great place to live some people say it is? Please be honest with your replies. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokidokiman View Post
My wife and I are closing on a condo in Teaneck. I read from a (much earlier) thread of some troubling things which made me wish I did more research before making the offer. So, what's the deal with Teaneck? Do I believe in those earlier nay-sayers? Or, is Teaneck the really great place to live some people say it is? Please be honest with your replies. Thanks in advance!
the politically correct answer is that the town is diverse, the real answer is that there are some real bad areas there, the town isn't an inexpensive place to live and for the money you'll spend there you can do better elsewhere.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM

That's what I keep hearing, "there are some really bad areas" in both this reply as well as a prior thread. But where exactly, I guess is my question. Or, is this such a touchy subject for a town known to be the first to desegregate its schools?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:45 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,701 times
If you drove around the area where your condo is and it looked OK then your fine. The bad areas are pretty obvious. There are areas where you don't see a white face, not that that is necesarily bad, but if you are white, you would not be comfortable there. In the nicer areas there are a lot of Jewish people, which again, is not necesarily a problem, just something to be aware of. Living in a neighboring town, but not in Teaneck itself, that pretty much sums up it's reputation.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
The black areas we have seen, while drivig through, seemed pretty middle class. Neat houses, well kept up. Nice yards.

I, personally, consider a 'bad' area to be a slum, with no property upkeep, broken windows boarded up, high crime and schools not being safe. Grafitti abounding. Load mouth people on the streets. Lots of what used to be called loitering.

I might mosey down to the police station or fire house and ask around. Most neighborhoods have local 'penny saver' free newspapers, often available in local stores and supermarkets. If you can get your hands on one of these, you might get an idea of the crime as they often print the highlights off the police blotter.

City Data usually includes local crime stats.

It does not, for Teaneck.
Teaneck, New Jersey (NJ) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

My husband and I used to visit their excellent library frequently, and we never witnessed anything that made us think the area was depressed.

Ah-ha! I found a site that might be of interest:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:54 AM..

Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Thank you all for taking the time with these answers! I greatly appreciate your time and effort.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 PM

110 posts, read 548,802 times
I used to live in Ridgefield Park, a town bordering Teaneck. I think Teaneck is a fine town, a lot of successful people have come out of Teaneck. Google it and see the list! The town has picked up since the 80's. It's certainly safer. Cedar Lane has cleaned up too. Granted most of the businesses are oriented towards the Jewish population. I will say that Teaneck Road looks a bit worn out once you get towards the border with Bergenfield, especially that trifling shopping center on the Bergenfield - Teaneck border.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 AM

46 posts, read 207,695 times
Default Living in Teaneck

I purchased a home last February on Elm Avenue in Teaneck. I have an italian family next to me a jewish one on my left and an african american in front of me. (I am a latina). Everyone gets along great and during the summer when people actually go outside we all just sit and talk. The homes in this part of town are not run down. Everyone keeps them in good shape and their lawns manicured. If you plan on purchasing on the other side of Route 4, then I am not sure that is a good idea. Many many people told me to stay away from that section. I have never not felt safe and love the community feeling. I know that you will love it! Do not second guess yourself. If you saw that the homes were not run down where you purchased, then you should be fine.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,888 times
Cinnabon: "There are areas where you don't see a white face, not that that is necesarily bad, but if you are white, you would not be comfortable there."

Wow, that's a comment that tries really hard not to look too racist.

I lived and grew up in that area for 35 years, having left there over 10 years ago. Having spoken with some persons who've lived in the 'segregated' part of the town, they have indicated that while the de-segregated high school is one thing to be proud of, the segregation that occurred many years ago forcing Blacks to live in one section of town is not an area of pride. There is an undercurrent of disparities, but nothing that causes wars. Over 12 years ago there was a white cop who shot a black youth, which caused distress, but the real problems developed when outsiders came in and caused something of a riot, breaking township business owners windows and turning over cars. The local people were seeking to heal this wound that took one of their youth too early in life.

If I can call them this, the 'Black' sections of town are fine. This is where people had been put many years ago by real estate agents (according to what persons there have reported) and there should be little concern being there. Teaneck is a middle class town and the property owners, being middle class, are looking for similarities beyond racial profiles and demographics. I think if you go in looking for good, you will find it. Could the town have changed so radically in over ten years? I doubt it. The extant political structure wouldn't allow it.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Teaneck is run by the Jewish Liberals, so if you like school budgets approved every years, higher taxes every year and more cops and liberal attitudes Teaneck is for you. Now dont slam me, but there is mostly Liberal Jews controlling Teaneck. AS far as the blacks, they are no problem at all. I would not fear the black families in Teaneck, for the most part they are not the problems in Teaneck. The town is controlled by the Lberal Jewish vote. This is not to deface the Jewish, its just the plain truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey