Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:11 AM

207 posts, read 516,323 times

Advertisements

When I say "The Bronx" I mean across from Yonkers. Near Concordia College. I live in Rahway and was wondering how you think I should get there if I'm working 8:30-5:30 pm. Start at 7:30 am on Mondays.

I have a car...would you drive?
Public transit?
Sublet?

It's only for the month of July.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 AM

141 posts, read 210,449 times
On NJT it will take at least 2-1/2 hours each way, if lucky. I leave at 7am to be at work at 9am in downtown NYC, most days I'm barely on time.
Driving, I have no idea but it will be way more expensive. Either way you have a very long and potentially aggravating commute.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:18 AM

141 posts, read 210,449 times
Adding to above.

I live in Rahway. If you are going to need parking also, tack on a minimum of $160 to this commute. Most likely more like $240. Daily parking in the garage is $8 for a normal work day, but goes up to $12 if you miss your cut off time on the ticket.

Monthly pass is $248. Monthly for subway is approx. $100 (I forget exactly). You're already up to $508 in this scenario. If you have someone to get you to the train, or can walk there it would save a lot.

If driving, tunnel entry is $280 for the month, plus gas (IDK what that would be, $100? $200? I don't drive that much). Also, tolls on the GSP. Will you need parking once you arrive to your destination? Add that in too. You'd be leaving so early in the morning that the drive shouldn't be too bad, although stuff does happen.

I think it's a wash financially more or less so it would depend which you deal with better. Being in charge of yourself driving or, being able to potentially take a nap? Either way, again, you're in for an extremely long trip.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:19 PM

And my car only takes premium lmao

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,691,881 times
Its 13 hours and 18 minutes to walk it, lol.

Only slightly over 1 hour drive with no or light traffic and 2 or 3 hours by train.

I'd drive it if it was me. Getting over the geeDub will probably be the sticky part most days but lots of people do it.

55 minutes with no traffic and you have achoice of eastern or western spurs on the YankMyCrank (Turnpike).

I would prob jump off at US46 which is where the Pike used to end before I-80 was built, that way you avoid merging with east west cross country traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rahw...d40.942544!3e0

Old 06-24-2015, 08:30 PM

7,073 posts, read 19,417,495 times
Concordia is in Bronxville, Westchester County, right? Terrible commute by transit. 4 trains and probably a bus if you're not walking distance to the Bronxville MNR station. I'd recommend driving and seeing if you can have that 7:30 start time be an everyday thing.

And then move as soon as possible.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Concordia is in Bronxville, Westchester County, right? Terrible commute by transit. 4 trains and probably a bus if you're not walking distance to the Bronxville MNR station. I'd recommend driving and seeing if you can have that 7:30 start time be an everyday thing.

And then move as soon as possible.
Two of my current coworkers were saying take the train to Penn then the 1 train...I guess I should have added that 'ville' in there.

I'm a high school teacher and this is just for the summer luckily!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Its 13 hours and 18 minutes to walk it, lol.

Only slightly over 1 hour drive with no or light traffic and 2 or 3 hours by train.

I'd drive it if it was me. Getting over the geeDub will probably be the sticky part most days but lots of people do it.

55 minutes with no traffic and you have achoice of eastern or western spurs on the YankMyCrank (Turnpike).

I would prob jump off at US46 which is where the Pike used to end before I-80 was built, that way you avoid merging with east west cross country traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rahw...d40.942544!3e0
I finally understand the E spur and W spur thing now...thanks! I have a friend who works in the Teterboro area and commutes from Linden...he would always say things about spurs...haha...I only take the Turnpike to Jersey City or the Holland lol

What exit is 46?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:25 PM

7,073 posts, read 19,417,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
Two of my current coworkers were saying take the train to Penn then the 1 train...I guess I should have added that 'ville' in there.

I'm a high school teacher and this is just for the summer luckily!
The 1 train wouldn't get you anywhere close. You'd need Metro-North, which means you need to get to Grand Central. So you'd be taking NJT to Penn, two subways to Grand Central, then Metro-North to Bronxville. That's 4 trains. Then, hopefully your job would be walking distance. If it's right by Concordia, though, it would not be. You'd have to take a bus or a taxi the last mile or two.

Driving will be better!

Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,222,157 times
Taking 4 trains would be ridiculous. Just leave really early and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey