Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:42 PM

60 posts, read 116,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Do you feel your kids are missing out on some celebration or other?

I can celebrate Saint Patrick's Day, Mardi Gras, Oktoberfest, or any other day I want to celebrate.

So can your kids.

Your kids are Americans. They can celebrate Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Independence Day, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving Day, Columbus Day, etc., right along with all Americans, regardless of skin color.

No one is "supposed to" celebrate anything. Where did you get that idea?

It's not like there is a law stating everyone MUST celebrate their heritage.

Mine's English, Polish, and Russian. I'm an American. I really never felt the need to celebrate any part of my heritage. Those people I descended from are long gone.

Unless you and your family are first-generation Americans they you also probably don't feel any particularly strong ties to the heritage of your ancestors.

You don't like being American or something?
I love being American, I'm a coast guard veteran btw. All I am saying is that it is messed up that blacks get "Black Heritage Month", and Spanish people get "Hispanic Heritage Month" all for them, but if a white person celebrates their heritage it's racist. I'm not Irish, or Italian or whatever. I'm a white American just like someone is a black American and I want to be able to celebrate that unique heritage, but if I do that's apparently racist. I think excluding whites from that is what is racist though.

Everyone gets Thanksgiving, Columbus Day, Memorial Day but only Blacks get Black History Month and only Hispanics get Hispanic Heritage Month. Whites should be celebrated too. If you disagree you're just as much of a bigot as the guys back in Philly in the 50s that would put a sign on the bar door saying "No blacks, No dogs, No Irish".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,486,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes1982 View Post
He didn't say American because the history and culture of European descendants in the US is different than other Americans.

You can say things like "back in the day the Irish weren't considered white" but this isn't back in the day, it's now. Back in the day (and I am talking about the 1970s when my dad was growing up) the respectful terms for blacks were negro/colored and for Asians it was Oriental. Now say that in public and you're branded with the scarlet letter or "waycist".

To a white American mutt like me, Saint Pattys day or Oktoberfest has no cultural significance. I'm not Bavarian or Irish, I'm a white American and it's a completely different identity at this point.

In 2015, white is perfectly defined in the American context. To be white in the United States means that you're descended wholly from Europe whether Romania or Ireland. Cuban Cameron Diaz is white, Italian Al Pacino is white, Irish Ted Kennedy (yuck) was white. Since European settlement centuries ago there has been mixing between different European descendants in the States...Jamestown colony was settled in 1620, thats almost 400 years of European descendants on this land mixing. If that isn't enough time for us to have a cohesive cultural identity as white Americans than I don't know.

Me and mine are not Irish, or Italian, or Swedish or Bavarian or whatever. We are Americans and we are white, and if someone has an issue with that but not with BET (Black Entertainment Television) or Hispanic Heritage Month, that makes you a big ol' exclusionary racist.
Yes sir and Jewish and Muslim and Arab people are considered white as well by US Census means. White includes Northern Africa and the Middle East.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,669,733 times
Quote:
We are Americans and we are white, and if someone has an issue with that but not with BET (Black Entertainment Television) or Hispanic Heritage Month, that makes you a big ol' exclusionary racist.
My dear, turn on your television.

Every day of every month of every year is WET (White Entertainment Television).

Old 04-17-2015, 01:56 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,669,733 times
Quote:
Everyone gets Thanksgiving, Columbus Day, Memorial Day but only Blacks get Black History Month and only Hispanics get Hispanic Heritage Month. Whites should be celebrated too. If you disagree you're just as much of a bigot as the guys back in Philly in the 50s that would put a sign on the bar door saying "No blacks, No dogs, No Irish".
Well, just hang tight!

According to the fear-mongers, in a few generations whites will be the minority. Then we can have our own Heritage Month!

I believe it's just your white privilege/entitlement showing.
It's not enough for you that you are a member of the majority in this country?
Do you have to stomp on the minority just to prove (to yourself) your supposed superiority?

Really, I just do not understand this mindset.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Yes sir and Jewish and Muslim and Arab people are considered white as well by US Census means. White includes Northern Africa and the Middle East.
Yes I know Jews and Arabs are considered white but I am talking about self-identification. Some Jews (the less religious ones) see themselves as white but the only Arabs I have ever heard identifying as white would be Lebanese Catholics (we go to church with a very nice Lebanese Catholic family from Beirut) and its my understanding that they are the descendants of Greeks and Phoenicians from way back when and thus are white. Mohamed the Yemeni from South Paterson may check white on the census but he said won't identify as a white man the same way I would.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
My dear, turn on your television.

Every day of every month of every year is WET (White Entertainment Television).
Ha, really? I have noticed that minorities are over represented on television. My wife watches some bunk called "The Housewives of Atlanta" and there is not one white main character even though the Atlanta area is around half white. My son watches Degrassi Junior High same as I did as a kid except now half the kids in that show are black, Asian, Indian even though it comes out of Canada which is whiter than the USA!

Quote:
Well, just hang tight!

According to the fear-mongers, in a few generations whites will be the minority. Then we can have our own Heritage Month!

I believe it's just your white privilege/entitlement showing.
It's not enough for you that you are a member of the majority in this country?
Do you have to stomp on the minority just to prove (to yourself) your supposed superiority?

Really, I just do not understand this mindset.
Believing in equality is white privelege? I'm not the majority man..at least in the City of Philadelphia where I live. Where I have to go meet my middle school aged son after school and walk home with him because he will get beat up by "minority" children who make up 60% of his school because he is a ginger haired white boy.

You're a racist, and it is very enlightening to actually hear someone spew that vile anti-white hatefulness. Thanks for letting me know what we are actually up against. No better than George Wallace or Jesse Helms, you are. Just the other way around.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:07 PM

68 posts, read 122,106 times
I nominate blueeyes1982 as having some of - if not THEE - best posts ever on city-data!
If I could have repped every one of your posts a billion times I would have!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almondding View Post
I nominate blueeyes1982 as having some of - if not THEE - best posts ever on city-data!
If I could have repped every one of your posts a billion times I would have!
Thanks

Old 04-17-2015, 02:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,462,436 times
Blue eyes.

News flash for you...........Degrassie is filmed in Toronto, yes, BUT the population of Toronto is VERY multicultural. About HALF of the people who live in my city, were BORN in another country. There fore the cast of the TV show will be VERY diverse, to reflect the city .

To take this a bit further, some of the Public elementary schools in downtown Toronto are 90 percent Immigrant children, as that is what the neighbour hood looks like.

Now, if you want to go to a small town, in a isolated farming community in Manitoba, you will see more white faces, but even there the local corner store may be owned and operated by a Muslim family from Syria. Even in the far northern reaches of the Canadian arctic, Immigrants are teaching school, working in the mines and running business operations. Most of the taxi owners in Yellowknife are from the middle east.

Your assumptions about Canada are very wrong, in relation to our racial percentages.

Jim B.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Blue eyes.

News flash for you...........Degrassie is filmed in Toronto, yes, BUT the population of Toronto is VERY multicultural. About HALF of the people who live in my city, were BORN in another country. There fore the cast of the TV show will be VERY diverse, to reflect the city .

To take this a bit further, some of the Public elementary schools in downtown Toronto are 90 percent Immigrant children, as that is what the neighbour hood looks like.

Now, if you want to go to a small town, in a isolated farming community in Manitoba, you will see more white faces, but even there the local corner store may be owned and operated by a Muslim family from Syria. Even in the far northern reaches of the Canadian arctic, Immigrants are teaching school, working in the mines and running business operations. Most of the taxi owners in Yellowknife are from the middle east.

Your assumptions about Canada are very wrong, in relation to our racial percentages.

Jim B.
Um, okay thanks for the information about Canada. Totally unsolicited but thanks. I don't know why you had to come all the way down to lowly little New Jersey from your multicultural paradise up north to give us some fun facts! I knew Degrassi was in Canada, yes but I watched that show as a young kid and my son watches it now and I had no idea it was in Toronto. The way it's filmed and the setting makes it look like a suburban town at least to American eyes. I always assumed it was a suburb of Toronto because as a Philadelphian that looks more like Cherry Hill New Jersey than anywhere in the city. However I was talking about as a whole, minorities have not a damn thing to complain about in regards to representation. I just looked up the demographics of Canada and according to your 2011 census the country is 19.1% "visible minority", 4.3% Aborginial and 76.6% white (including French Canadians, and all other European ethnicities) and no Canadian province has dipped below 75% white although Ontario and BC are close. The USA is 62.6% White, 13.2% Black, 5.3% Asian, 1.4% Native and 17.5% Hispanic. However when I turn on the boob tube at least half the characters and sometimes more than half on mainstream TV are "minorities" and when I watch sports the vast majority of players (besides Hockey and NASCAR) are black and Hispanic. My best friend in the world (who happens to be from Puerto Rico) and me were watching TV the other day and he pointed out to me that every single McDonalds commercial has at least 50% black actors..even though they are marketing to a country that is more than 85% not black. That's overrepresentation.

By the way, how did you find this thread, Mr. Canadian Citizen? Do you just sit around and wait for your county to mentioned so that you can give us some facts?

Jimmy D.
NE Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey