Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 AM

27 posts, read 161,594 times

Advertisements

Hi. We live in Tarrytown, NY, and are looking to relocate to NJ. My husband works in Hoboken, and the commute is getting to be a little much. He grew up in Scotch Plains, so we are very familar with that Union county area, but I don't want to live THAT close to my inlaws )

We would like to look at some nice towns in southern Bergen and Essex counties, so that his commute could be approx 15 miles or less to Hoboken. We have two children, 4 and 2 so schools and family comunities are very important. We also have become accustomed to the good ol' fashioned "downtown" that Tarrytown has to offer. I guess it could be compared to Westwood in Bergen county or Westfield in Union county. We would like to spend approx $500k for a 3 or 4 bedroom colonial. Does anyone have any suggestions for where we should start our search?

Thanks in advance,
Suzi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,332 times
Ridgewood in Bergen County and Montclair in Essex county are two family-oriented nice suburbs with a nice and walkable downtown area. School systems should be good too. They are expensive though but you can probably get a decent 3BR for 500k.

Those are two areas I'm looking into. I believe the train that goes into Ridgewood would also take you directly into Hoboken, instead of into Penn St. 34th St. Not the Montclair train... that goes into Penn St. directly.

That's very important 'cus you want the train going into Hoboken so your husband doesn't have to deal with getting from Penn St. back to Hoboken...

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Thank you Kimchee! I have a roomate from college who grew up in Ridgweood - it is a great town. I was just worried that it might be too far if my husband was to drive - silly me didn't even think of the train!! We are looking at Montclair too. Don't mind the higher taxes since we're coming from Westchester with REDICULOUSLY high taxes (13k for a 1,900 sq ft house on 50x150 lot!!). Good luck to you too!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 AM

71 posts, read 321,575 times
Default good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchirm View Post
Thank you Kimchee! I have a roomate from college who grew up in Ridgweood - it is a great town. I was just worried that it might be too far if my husband was to drive - silly me didn't even think of the train!! We are looking at Montclair too. Don't mind the higher taxes since we're coming from Westchester with REDICULOUSLY high taxes (13k for a 1,900 sq ft house on 50x150 lot!!). Good luck to you too!
Good luck finding a house in Ridgewood for $500k - not likely.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,332 times
I live in Hoboken so do NOT recommend driving into that city. Unless daytime parking is easier it's typically hard to find unless you park in the residential areas off the main streets. Some residential areas also have the 3 or 4 hour parking limit.

Check the NJtransit map to see what towns offer a direct train into Hoboken: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

This webpage is also nice to figure out taxes in various cities... I was surprised to find out low property taxes are in Englewood and Saddle River! Of course, with the home prices are high as they are in those areas, there's a good reason!

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...PHIC/data.html

Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 AM

Yeah, the only reason my husband drives now is that he has a private parking space in the garage of his office, and he frequently has to go out to meetings that require him to drive - it's kind of a pain -- but i bet he could figure it out without having a car in town. I'll check out those sites. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:21 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,798 times
Ridgewood would be a good option for you. The train goes directly to Hoboken and it takes about 30-40 min (depending if it's local or express). $500K could be tough but not impossible. Look on njmls.com, there are houses in your price range and in this market, seller are definitely willing to negotiate.

Good Luck.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,630 times
Given your $500K range Montclair might be a bit more doable than Ridgewood (it's pretty expensive). But taxes in Montclair and anywhere else in Essex County are astronomical, even more than most other places in NJ, so keep that in mind.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I was thinking that Ridgewood would be a little far (although VERY nice, as i have a good friend who lives their now, and another friend who grew up there). I guess i'm looking for information on the Montclair, Verona, Nutley or places in very southern Bergen areas. I understand Essex has very high taxes, but if we could keep them under $10,000 we would be doing better than our current situation!

Any advice on the areas mentioned above?

We'd be looking around $500k, 3/4 bedroom, neighborhood, good schools, prefer a colonial or cape, flat yard, garage, and the town has a "downtown" kind of feel. Kind of like Westfield or Cranford in Union county

Thanks!!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:39 AM

173 posts, read 818,748 times
Downtown Maplewood is very nice and quaint. I am not sure you can live close it for $500k, but maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey