Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 AM

113 posts, read 331,163 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the Aberdeen-Matawan area and trying to find more parking info at the train lots. I would be taking either the 7:37 or 8:02 AM train into Penn Station.

I've browsed the forums and read the older posts but would like some more recent info from people who use the lots to commute into NYC for work in the mornings. I tried calling the Matawan town hall to check for how long the permit waitlist is but no one seems to be picking up. My broker told me that the waitlist isn't as bad as before the Recession hit. The general consensus seems to be that the parking "isnt too bad"

However, I have yet to find anyone who actually uses the lot to commute. I'm sure there are lots of ppl who do the NYC commute from Matawan. I visited the lots one weekend and it looked bigger than most lots I've seen in Central NJ and was actually being used as a flea market.

Can anyone shed some recent insight into the parking lots at Matawan? Both permit and non permit lots?
If there are enough daily spots available, is there any point to even getting on the permit waitlist? Also, I read that they are developing the area around the train station with more retail and lux apartments..I'm guess this will create more demand for train parking eventually?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
Matawan Borough Official Website

Here is some information. There is still a wait list and daily parking fills up quick. However, there are private lots right next to the main lot that have plenty of room and you can pay for daily. If you drive by it, the phone numbers are right on the sign for them.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 PM

111 posts, read 416,574 times
Aberdeen has a lot as well. Get on both wait lists and then just get monthly parking at one of the private lots near the station until a spot opens in matawan or Aberdeen lots.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Thank you lauren810g and jersey15.

I did come across that website but was wondering if the waitlist of 1-2 years is still accurate. Do you know what time the daily parking fills up by? I guess I can get the private lots if I do end up buying a home in aberdeen-matawan. Or try to get a house within walking distance of the train station.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Not sure about the current wait lists either. My poor hubby was on a wait list for several years at least before we got an Aberdeen permit. Can't remember the exact waiting time but it was pretty long.

There is also first come, first serve parking at the lots---where you pay for your slot each day. Unfortunately those fill up pretty fast so probably would all be full during your commute times. Hubby would get there at 6am to get a spot which got really old after awhile. I think that what others have said---pay for the private parking---is the best option while you wait for a spot to come available. Make sure you get on both lists.

Good luck. We moved out of NJ last summer and now parking is free for him while he takes a train downtown!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 AM

ugh. 6 AM is probably too early for me unless I'm going into the office early for summer hours. I also didn't realize there's a separate side for Aberdeen and Matawan. I did notice that one side had nice, modern pay machines that accepted credit cards, while the other lot had these beat-up, old machines that dont give you change.

Are the private lots more expensive to park? I think the public daily lots are $3 per day.

I'm also researching the Academy bus option into Port Authority. The Academy stop at the PNC Arts center has a big free parking lot. Problem is..the buses don't run past a certain hour and I sometimes work late.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
I take the Academy bus from Cheesequake - you should probably consider that instead of pnc. PNC would probably be south of you which means you would go south to the bus when you need to go north. Cheesequake bus is 335 a month and parking is free. There are no issues with parking. The buses start early and I think the last one is around midnight out of port authority.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 PM

Hmm you're right Lauren810g..I checked Academy's schedule and the last bus out of Port Authority is at 11:55 PM. Travel time is 40 min...not too bad. That's so strange that the last bus going to the PNC is at 9:15 PM while the Cheesequake one is much later.

Thank you for the tip! I'm still house hunting but if I do find something in Aberdeen Matawan, I'll know that the bus is a viable option to work.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:06 AM
nsu

1 posts, read 3,869 times
How is the commuter parking situation now in Aberdeen-Matawan train station? Is there any improvement in these three years? Are the private parking lots still available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: