Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:51 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times

Advertisements

Unearned income is not subject to NJ from a non-resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You'd think that'd be the case. But the ritziest towns like Saddle River actually have relatively low taxes because they're small and share services with surrounding towns. The rich get richer...
low total taxes, or effective tax rate? saddle river is less dense than west orange, so i can imagine they'd have less services.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
That shut down of the 405 was so they could get an intense project done in a weekend instead of it taking a year (like that route 78 extension.) I know, pretty crazy to get something done in a weekend something narrow-minded union people couldn't wrap their heads around I'm sure.

Holes in NJ's infrastructure:
1. Pulaski Skyway -- they aren't tearing it down or adding lanes, they are doing some long overdue preventative MX instead. Why this late and so half assed I'm not sure.
2. Newark Airport: The most delayed airport in the US desperately needs another runway to keep the delays down, but the port authority is too retarded to figure out a long term solution
3. NJ transit: The rail network is weak and expensive
4. PATH Trains: The new trains are nice but the rails itself are old and falling apart (see how Hurricane Sandy affected their operations.)

They got tolls -- fix the damn potholes.
sure - you're right, california is a model of efficiency when it comes to maintaining 405 (Retaining Wall Collapse Blamed for 405 Freeway Project Delay | NBC Southern California)

Northbound I-405 Lanes Scheduled to Close During ‘Jamzilla’ | KTLA 5

the 405 project wasn't completed in one weekend....it's part of a much larger project that is still going on.

so, yeah...just like NJ I guess.

Pulaski - they're completely replacing the surface. they cannot tear it down and replace it, it would cost a fortune and take far too long. it's this late because NJ (like the rest of the United States) hasn't been serious about funding infrastructure spending for decades).

Newark Airport - also one of the busiest airports in the country, and there is no room for more runways. Philadelphia is also always at the top of that list...so what's your point? We live in a densely populated area where many people come via airplane? OK!

NJ Transit - I would love to see it improved, it did just get a large chunk of the stimulus money to enhance the Northeast Corridor.

PATH Train - i took it for 6 years and it worked pretty much 99.99999% of the time. I love the new trains.

They fix the potholes on the toll roads, like i said.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Have you been to Florida in May? It's absolutely fine. The worst month to be in Florida is probably August, although it's bad everywhere along the east coast at that time.

Summer in NJ and FL are just as unbearable as each other. Florida doesn't smell as bad as parts of NJ in the summer, that's for certain.

Florida is dirt cheap compared to NJ -- you aren't constantly being nickeled and dimed by the state. I don't think Miami has ever recorded a day over 100, just as a point of comparison.
Yeah, you're right. Forget Hurricane insurance, HOA fees, and all the other hidden costs of living in a glorious place like Florida that hides the costs because they aren't called taxes down there. And Florida's tolls are outrageously expensive for the distance covered. But yeah...it's so much cheaper.

Yes, NJ does smell pretty bad in the summer...but that's a problem from industrial waste...in Florida, the smell is the dirty people from the swamps who just never shower.

And i've been in Florida in June/July/August - it's all pretty much unbearable, and why you only see about 6,000 people at a Rays game on any given summer day.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Umm A LOT -- it depends on the year, honestly.

I remember 4/5/13 when I was brewing beer with friends at my place in Northern NJ and it got down to 26!
they make clothes for cold weather. it's not acceptable to walk around naked (though, it is Florida, and that would hardly register high on Florida's 'crazy table').

Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

Yes, NJ does smell pretty bad in the summer...but that's a problem from industrial waste...in Florida, the smell is the dirty people from the swamps who just never shower.

And i've been in Florida in June/July/August - it's all pretty much unbearable, and why you only see about 6,000 people at a Rays game on any given summer day.
Jeez Floridian's don't shower. You LOVE to tow that northeast elitism train, don't ya?

No -- 6,000 people at a Rays game has nothing to do with the heat. It has to do with the fact that Florida teams have a lazy fan base.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
they make clothes for cold weather. it's not acceptable to walk around naked (though, it is Florida, and that would hardly register high on Florida's 'crazy table').
I'll take Florida over NJ any day of the week. But keep up with the Jersey apology tour.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
I'll take Florida over NJ any day of the week. But keep up with the Jersey apology tour.
Cali must not be so great. A friend in Boulder says they're invading like locusts & driving down the area's IQ by leaps & bounds.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Cali must not be so great. A friend in Boulder says they're invading like locusts & driving down the area's IQ by leaps & bounds.
I can always count on your extremely intelligent posts EBDick

Yeah it's great -- I'm laughing over the fact that I can run outside in January while all you moody NJer's are freezing your a**es off.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
I can always count on your extremely intelligent posts EBDick

Yeah it's great -- I'm laughing over the fact that I can run outside in January while all you moody NJer's are freezing your a**es off.
NJ craps out all its non-hackers like you.

It's fascinating that you're out of here for a while yet are still so bored in Cal-ee-fornya that you constantly b#tch & moan about NJ on the NJ forums. Go outside and fight a forest fire, get some horrible plastic surgery to fit in with all the rest of the phonies out there or go for a swim in the 50 degree water. Your opinions on NJ are like that stolen Tarantino script...worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey