Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times

Advertisements

My mortgage company sold my mortgage. the new company says they aren't going to pay my flood insurance premium from my escrow anymore. upon investigation, it looks like I am not in a flood zone at all. so, I've been paying all these years for something I didn't need. Can I sue my old mortgage company?

Last edited by carolflood; 12-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 PM

10 posts, read 25,869 times
Flood zone maps are actually updated regularly - people that weren't in a flood zone find themselves in one and vice-versa. It is possible that your home is located somewhere on the line, and used to be a flood zone.
Ask your current mortgage company to verify the flood zone map and send you proof that you are not in it (the government website to look on is FEMA). Take that proof and contact the escrow company to obtain proof of how long the flood insurance has been paid for. Then contact the insurance company with your evidence and talk to them about providing you with a refund.
Your old mortgage company had nothing to gain from you paying for flood insurance, other than protection on their investment. There is the possibility of them making a mistake by placing you in a flood zone..

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolflood View Post
Can I sue my old mortgage company?
You can pretty much sue anyone. Winning, that's the hard thing.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:13 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
You don't have to be in a particular zone to buy flood insurance. While it's only required by banks for certain zones, you can still have it if you're outside. It seems like something you could have changed in the beginning but I don't think you can go years without saying anything and then demand the money back.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,426 times
Flood Insurance | Flood Maps | Flood Risk | FloodSmart

Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Just thank your lucky stars you are not in a flood zone right now.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You can pretty much sue anyone. Winning, that's the hard thing.
yeah, it helps to include something like "the guy from the mortgage company touched my private parts" if you want to get some real money.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM

453 posts, read 1,742,223 times
Forget the lender for a minute - check with the insurance agent that sold you the flood policy. Ask for confirmation of what the zone was when the loan was originally taken, what it is now, and exactly when it changed. There should be copies of your policy declarations on file for each year you had coverage. The first page indicates the applicable zone. Records should be available unless you are looking back past seven years, and a good agency has data well beyond that.

If you were in a Special Flood Hazard Area (A or V) zones you were probably required by the bank to purchase the coverage. If the zone changed to something else, the bank would not necessarily pay attention or alert you to the situation. You might have had a downward change in premium if the zone was changed on renewal by the carrier.

There is always the possibility of an error when the loan was originated; the zone determination vendor (usually Core Logic) may have had a bad address or the property may have been only partially in a Special Flood Hazard Area.

I seriously doubt you will have recourse. Damaging floods happen very regularly in non-Special Flood Hazard areas, and claims are paid. Fortunately, you did not have that happen.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
No agent is going to go through all of that trouble.

Just be thankful you are out of the "zone" and MOVE ON.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 8,108 times
I agree with Dana, probably a map change took place but If your lender required the insurance and you are determined not to be in a flood zone you can get a full refund for the current annual premium if you have not made a claim on your policy. All you need to do is contact your insurance company.
But keep in mind lenders CAN require flood insurance, even if you are NOT in a flood zone, but they can't require flood insurance for a zone you are not in, meaning, for example, if you are determined to be in an X zone, they can not require you be insured for an AE, just for the X zone you are in.
You were probably moved from a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), which requires insurance, to a Minimal Risk Area. To find out ask your old lender for a copy of the original Flood Zone Determination from the flood cert company.
Also, your new lender may have simply have different requirements than your previous lender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey