Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM

150 posts, read 646,503 times

Advertisements

Current status:
-- Single family home purchase in Monmouth County, NJ
-- Have a knowledgeable, well educated, well-versed-in-corporate-relocation type of cases.
-- Started the offer process, waiting for a counter offer

Now need to pick an attorney. I got 3 recommendations from the realtor, called all 3, and checked on the below:

1. How long have you practiced Real Estate law / involved with residential closing in NJ?
2. How long have you worked with my realtor?
3. Their fee amount (excluding pass-through costs like survey cost, title, etc.)
4. How would they handle a closing with one spouse not being available at closing?
5. Do they have a partner to cover them, in case they are traveling or get sick?

Now I am having trouble picking one, since all 3 seem about the same level, and can't really differentiate!

-- All 3 have 10 to 15 years exp;
-- All 3 have 2-4 year experience working with my realtor;
-- Their fees range from $825 to $1000, so I would say that' a pretty narrow range, and difference not significant (compared to all the costs of buying a home);
-- All gave same advice when one spouse can't be present at closing -- get a power of attorney created beforehand, and inform mortgage company beforehand;
-- All told me they have backup/partner if they travel or are sick.

All 3 were pleasant to talk on phone, polite, are accessible via email, etc.

So other than flipping a coin, what other criteria should I use? Did I is asking something critical? (My prior closing experiences are from California, where no attorneys are involved; work is de by title companies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,847 times
See which attorney is a REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY. Most dabble in a lot of different aspects of law.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM

289 posts, read 608,228 times
Some more questions/issues to ask/consider:
(1) How is their back office. Is there a knowledgeable and experienced person who handles general real estate questions/phone calls etc.
(2) Does the fees include document/Fedex fees. I once met an attorney who wanted to charge an additional $225 for photocopying.
(3) How tech savvy is their office, do they respond to emails. Can they scan documents and send them to you, if needed. Can they accept scanned documents.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 PM

150 posts, read 646,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
Some more questions/issues to ask/consider:
(1) How is their back office. Is there a knowledgeable and experienced person who handles general real estate questions/phone calls etc.
(2) Does the fees include document/Fedex fees. I once met an attorney who wanted to charge an additional $225 for photocopying.
(3) How tech savvy is their office, do they respond to emails. Can they scan documents and send them to you, if needed. Can they accept scanned documents.
Thank you, these are good suggestions. I checked on 2 & 3 yesterday, and answer to suggestion #1 above was mostly volunteered by the attorneys during the initial phone call (I have xx paralegals; I have yy partners).

Anyone have specific experience with any of the below attorneys?
  • Barry Guberman, Lincroft, NJ
  • Amy Burr, Red Bank, NJ
  • Jeff Ferrier, Holmdel, NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey