Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times

Advertisements

Are there any signs as you enter NJ regarding cell phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,324 times
I have gotten stopped in Pa for NO reason many times, when I'd come up with my NJ plates, and so have my NJ & NY relatives & friends. That stopped once I got the Pa plates. I have never been stopped by NJ state troopers for false reasons when I'd visit from Pa. I hear Pa drivers complain about NJ state troopers stopping them, but those people drive like crap. They admit to speeding, not using signals, and other violations, yet, get upset that cops stopped them?! NJ state troopers are not wasting their time on BS stops just because they see out of state plates. At least most won't.
There was only one d-bag who stopped my husband in NJ for the infamous "broken taillight", but that kind of happens to black males pretty much anywhere, and the cop was a Morris County small-town, bored thug with a badge. I love their dumb face when they have no charges or tickets to write!
Anyway, as long as you follow NJ traffic laws, you'll be fine. Check online for any new laws since you moved, just to make sure you don't unintentionally break any laws. I didn't know that kids up to 80 lbs need to be in booster seats in NJ.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Do you have a smartphone? Download Waze - it's incredibly accurate in my experience at calling out where cops are sitting.

In general, i think out of staters are targeted just because they know you're unlikely to fight it. But I've had a surprisingly good experience in NJ with police. the weekend i got my new car, i was shocked to see my speed on the NJTP coming back from visiting my BIL in DE. I only noticed it because a car was riding my tail...it was a cop. Let's just say I was purely justified in having the worst ticket thrown at me, but the cop cut me a break - i dunno if it was because i was honest with him and told him i just got the car, and i didn't realize i was going that speed, or if he was just in a good mood.

have a nice drive!
I find most NJ state troopers, at least in North Jersey, to be reasonable. I was stopped for speeding once, and told the officer the truth, my dad was sick, and I was really under a lot of stress. I asked for the ticket. He was really understanding, and gave me a warning, even though he had EVERY right to ticket me. So, I think NJ has many decent state troopers. In town cops are another story, especially boring small towns.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,618 times
Just don't drive like a ding dong and you should be ok.

That said, what can we do to get these damn NYers off the roads?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Are there any signs as you enter NJ regarding cell phones?
Not sure, but honestly it shouldn't take a sign for someone to realize it's not the best idea to drive while distracted by a cell phone, especially if you're texting.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are totally screwed.
LMAO!

Listen to BradyKP about Waze - it's been saving my ass everyday since he suggested it. GREAT app and the navigation is so much better than google.

You'll be fine - I wouldn't worry. In the summer there are SO many out of state plates going through and I've never noticed any excessive number of them pulled over vs NJ cars.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
When I first moved to NJ from TX (1 week into it), I was stuck at the Holland Tunnel trying to make a right at one of the streets right before it. I saw a bunch of NJ licensed cars use the emergency lane, drove past me, and make a right at the next street. I followed.

Guess who was pulled over. I played the "uh... didn't know officer. I just moved into the area..." game. Got a warning.

Most of the State Troopers are perfect reasonable. Just as long as you flow with traffic, stay off the phone, and don't do stupid aggressive maneuvers. The local officers are a different story! Its a main source of revenue and they know out of state people are less likely to return to their jurisdiction to fight the ticket. Some towns/cities with the highest crime rates in NJ and they choose to ride up and down the highway running through it.

I have never been ticketed by a state trooper.

I have had many encounters with local cops.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Most of the State Troopers are perfect reasonable. Just as long as you flow with traffic, stay off the phone, and don't do stupid aggressive maneuvers. The local officers are a different story! Its a main source of revenue and they know out of state people are less likely to return to their jurisdiction to fight the ticket. Some towns/cities with the highest crime rates in NJ and they choose to ride up and down the highway running through it.

I have never been ticketed by a state trooper.

I have had many encounters with local cops.

I can attest to that. Several years ago, a friend of mine wound up with his car in a ditch, as a result of a deer running in front of his car at night. Because this happened just down the road from my house, I arrived on the scene before any police responded, and I directed traffic until the cops arrived.

The first cop to arrive on the scene was a local cop, who told my friend that he was considering writing him a ticket for...possibly...careless driving (I don't recall his exact threat). Shortly thereafter, a NJ State Trooper pulled up, and I asked him if it was possible for my friend to be ticketed as a result of a deer causing him to wind up in a ditch. The trooper had a brief conversation with the local yokel cop, and the subject of a ticket never came up again.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'm going to be taking a short trip back to NJ with my NC tagged car I sure hope the NJ State Police treat me better then the NC troopers who wrongly accused me of speeding when I moved down here in my NJ tagged car.

Do NJ cops pick on out of stater's like they do in NC?

BTW I plan on driving with the flow and speed of the others on the road and will not be attempting to break any NC to NJ speed records.
You won't have any problems provided you are driving lawfully. Some people are paranoid about irrational things, but I can assure you that people who get pulled over by NJ state troopers almost always deserve it and need to be pulled over. If you drive like a proper human being is supposed to, you will not have any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey