Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,009 times

Advertisements

A few friends of mine and I are looking to just go camping for a weekend. We don't need any amenities except maybe a bathroom. But our concerns are to be near a lake/river where we can kayak, to be able to bring alcohol (we're all over 21), limited quiet hours, and nearness (we're in northern NJ).

Basically we don't wanna spend $35-$45 base pay for stuff we don't need like pools, movies, planned activities, etc. We just wanna kayak, drink, and relax without having to worry about lots of little kids running around and screaming. Any help would be appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
There where recent articles about the area of the Delaware River around Frenchtown and Stockton, NJ.
BTW one of the articles did mention to check the river after heavy rains as it can get turbulent and have debris, but otherwise I'd say you might want to go around W or NW NJ.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinesilhouette View Post
A few friends of mine and I are looking to just go camping for a weekend. We don't need any amenities except maybe a bathroom. But our concerns are to be near a lake/river where we can kayak, to be able to bring alcohol (we're all over 21), limited quiet hours, and nearness (we're in northern NJ).

Basically we don't wanna spend $35-$45 base pay for stuff we don't need like pools, movies, planned activities, etc. We just wanna kayak, drink, and relax without having to worry about lots of little kids running around and screaming. Any help would be appreciated !
Bear Creek Campground in Walpack (Sussex County) (973) 948-4384. The only amenities are a porta potty and a fresh water hydrant. There are rustic sites along the Flatbrook River (about $30 a night) and the campground sits in the middle of the 70,000 acre Delaware Water Gap. I'm heading up there for a get together with some friends in July. We're going to do some four wheeling in and around Stokes State Forest and hit the Flatbrook-Roy range for some target shooting during the day and just hang around the campfire at night.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinesilhouette View Post

What about camping at the Water Gap? Here is a link for info on campgrounds in the area: Campgrounds - Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Most are around $25 a night. I do think that alcohol is prohibited at the camps run by the national park service, as well as the state, but check with each location as some of the private ones are ok with it, as long as no one gets too loud and obnoxious. Great kayaking on the Delaware River.

Another option is the Round Valley Rec Area in Hunterdon Co. it is beautiful there. IIRC camping is $22 a night. Great Kayaking on the lake. For more info see these two sites Department of Environmental Protection NJDEP New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

KoalaNJ

Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
What about camping at the Water Gap? Here is a link for info on campgrounds in the area: Campgrounds - Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Most are around $25 a night.
Bear Creek is located with in the Gap-just up the road from Walpack Center. It's not listed on the park website because the campground is not on DWG property-it is on private property surrounded by DWG lands-a holdover from the Army Corps buyouts in the late 1950s. Dingman's campground is on DWG property and is run by a concessionaire. Worthington is State Forest land adjacent to the DWG.

Quote:
I do think that alcohol is prohibited at the camps run by the national park service, as well as the state, but check with each location as some of the private ones are ok with it, as long as no one gets too loud and obnoxious. Great kayaking on the Delaware River.
Alcohol is OK at Bear Creek-be advised, the owner is a State Trooper, so everyone better be of age.

Quote:
Another option is the Round Valley Rec Area in Hunterdon Co. it is beautiful there. IIRC camping is $22 a night. Great Kayaking on the lake. For more info see these two sites Department of Environmental Protection NJDEP New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
Definitely no alcohol here (the rangers do check the sites at night and will ticket you/throw you out if you're caught), and be advised that the nearest campsite is a three mile hike from the trailhead around the lake shore. If you have a boat you can access the campsites that way.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Bear Creek is located with in the Gap-just up the road from Walpack Center. It's not listed on the park website because the campground is not on DWG property-it is on private property surrounded by DWG lands-a holdover from the Army Corps buyouts in the late 1950s. Dingman's campground is on DWG property and is run by a concessionaire. Worthington is State Forest land adjacent to the DWG.

Alcohol is OK at Bear Creek-be advised, the owner is a State Trooper, so everyone better be of age.

Definitely no alcohol here (the rangers do check the sites at night and will ticket you/throw you out if you're caught), and be advised that the nearest campsite is a three mile hike from the trailhead around the lake shore. If you have a boat you can access the campsites that way.

The link I provided above includes info on the private campgrounds in and around the Gap, not just the state and federal ones. Which is why I mentioned to check out the privately owned ones since alcohol is an issue for the OP.

Good point about accessing the campsites at Round Valley...I had assumed they would get to the site via their kayaks or canoes.

KoalaNJ

Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 PM

47 posts, read 118,068 times
Any Campgrounds in State parks in NJ (Like the watergap) don't allot alcohol. I've been to a campground called River Beach in Milford, PA. Its right on the Delaware. You can actually rent canoes at the site. They have a second larger campground further north on the Delaware called Kittatinny Canoes at Barryville, NY. They have everything, campground, rentals of all types of watercraft. They have a zipline, and paintball also. And a pool. This campground has sites on the river and also up on the mountainside for larger groups. A few other smaller campgrounds border this one also. Ones called Indian Head Canoes. Another is called Lander's River Trips. The third is called Cedar Rapids. All in Barryville. Just to a google search for the websites of these places and do some research. These seem pretty cool.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
We stayed at both of these and had an excellent time(once the pouring rain stopped)but the best one is the River beach campsite,they have 2 sites that sit right along the river,when we went the river was flowing slow and was able to swim without being swept downriver. very nice, and can fit a few tents,it is a little loud being near the highway but who cares after a few drinks.

Kittatinny Campground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey